Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Dr. Who
Topic: Torchwood on BBC America Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2017 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 1  

Just a heads up folks. BBC America began showing Torchwood at 6am this morning. They are showing seasons 1 and 2 as well as Children of Earth.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 June 2017 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 2  

TORCHWOOD eventually wore me down with its relentlessly negative attitude. The writers clearly forgot -- if they ever understood -- that not everything is a Hobson's Choice. A major point of "superheroes" is that they find the THIRD option.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2017 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

I consider myself something of an "Anglophile", but even I was put off, not just by 'Torchwood', but numerous examples of too much of the negative side of real life permeating some British pop culture output of the last decade or more. 
The police dramas overkill on 'Internal affairs' plotlines, and suspects getting off on technicalities, major illnesses on medical dramas have to be portrayed in the most devastating and depressing fashion, and people only go to church so that the  local pedophile vicar can have a victim, and DI Whomever can have a case this week.
I don't know if it started with the whole Inspector Morse, 'Life is shit, so let's have another pint, Lewis' attitude, or what, but no triumph can ever really be clear-cut, and nearly everything has to be heavily coated in shades of grey.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 02 June 2017 at 5:16pm

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

I barely made it through the first season of Torchwood and finally just stopped.  To me it seemed that RTD's idea of "adult" faire was middle-school aged sex jokes and hijinks, and profanity.  I have a feeling that Torchwood is what RTD really wanted to make Doctor Who like but he was held back by the weight of the show's history. (He still snuck in a lot of stuff that even John Nathan-Turner thought was over the top). 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2017 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 5  

"Captain Jack" was a pain in the ass...said everyone on the show, ever, because they all had sex with him...oh, sorry, I was channeling Russell T Davies for a minute...

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security

Negative Mod

Posted: 07 June 2017 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 6  

Love the idea of Torchwood, but man...that was one dark show.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post Reply | Post New Topic |