Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Comic Book Series That Haven’t Been Collected Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2017 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I wouldn't complain if they put out the 24 issue Thunderstrike series from the 90s. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Daniel Burke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2017 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hidden Years. 

It's begging for the Omnibus treatment. A-holes@marvel.com

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2017 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I wouldn't mind seeing the first couple of years of PHANTOM STRANGER (1969) being collected.  Besides a lot of beautiful Neal Adams covers (and one interior story), Jim Aparo came on board with #7 and then Len Wein joined him for issues #14-26.  Wein came out of the gate as an exceptional (though perhaps underappreciated) writer, and everything by Aparo (and Adams!) should be reprinted.

And I've never seen Adams' four issues of THE SPECTRE.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 3:45am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Eric J., both the Phantom Stranger (2 books) and the Spectre (1 book) were reprinted in DC Showcase Presents.

And Captain Marvel and the Monster Society of Evil was collected and reprinted; I just bought the oversized softback reprint by Classic Comics Library. I got it on Amazon. It is fun nostalgia, but it tends to draw a little tedious... Cap helps out American forces during the war and "Yay for America", and Billy goes all over hell, and gets caught, gagged, miraculously gets ungagged just in the nick... and SHAZAM!

It likely read better as a serial issue every three weeks instead of all at one reading. Especially for the patriotic notes. It was a very different time, and I don't think I can fully appreciate the sentiment of the time.

But for a (relatively) poor support tech, I was never going to see or own it in any other venue. It was only around thirty bucks... well worth it to me.

Back on topic... are we discussing affordable collections, and are we indicating color collections over B&W collections? Y'know that some comic art shows even BETTER without coloring. Some of those Spectre stories are pretty good black and white... and some have "mystical" art that just looks messy and confusing without color, so caveat emptor.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I tried a few of DC's SHOWCASE PRESENTS B&W editions, but they weren't very satisfying to me.  It got ridiculous trying to read the GREEN LANTERN one when half the stories hinged on some color plot point!  I sold them all as quickly as I could, but I did keep one that had a lot of Neal Adams art to study--but I read those stories in color editions!

Since DC's SHOWCASE and Marvel's ESSENTIALS reprints seemed more like dumping just to get it out there cheap ("Here's 500 pages--read it, don't read it--we don't care.") and I would never buy those, I personally am not considering them here.  Likewise, on the other end of the scale, the $60 ARCHIVES or MASTERWORKS also just seem useless to me.  Buying ten hardcovers for $600 is just too much for me--or most people.  I bought most of the softcover MASTERWORKS for half price of $25--or about $120 for ten.  The hardcovers cost five times that!

B&W doesn't seem to bother me if the material was originally INTENDED for B&W.  I love Miller's SIN CITY editions, and I never had any problem with the old SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN or some other magazines.  But super-heroes especially, for the most part, really seem to need color and any reprint without it does not seem "real" to me.

But thanks for the info.  I might have to track down that SPECTRE edition just to finally read the Adams issues.  For the PHANTOM STRANGER, I've just been buying the original comics for about $2 a pop!  (Another reason not to buy the hardcovers--the reprinted issues work out to be about $4 each!)

vishard chandool
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I would like to see some of the Charlton comics collected. Titles like
E-man
Yang
House of Yang
Doomsday

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

B&W doesn't seem to bother me if the material was originally INTENDED for B&W.  I love Miller's SIN CITY editions, and I never had any problem with the old SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN or some other magazines.  But super-heroes especially, for the most part, really seem to need color and any reprint without it does not seem "real" to me.

A most profound comment!

I grew up (1970s) with black-and-white Marvel UK reprints. MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN COMICS WEEKLY featured black-and-white reprints of Marvel US tales. So I was "conditioned" to expect it. And for some characters it worked. The likes of Captain Mar-Vell, Punisher and Hulk had gritty stories that worked well in b/w.

Not so much with DC. Maybe it was because DC was more "fantasy-based" (in a sense) than Marvel, but there was a DC UK title called THE SUPER HEROES - and the likes of Superman and Flash just were not served well, in my view, by b/w. It worked for the gritty aspects of Mar-Vell or Punisher, but not the bright exploits of Superman or Green Lantern.

It was at a young age that the b/w and colour reprints showed me just how different in tone DC and Marvel were (I am oversimplifying a tad).

A lot of DC UK reprints were vibrant and colourful. In fact, I thought some were better than the DC US stories because the reprints were A4 in size and on glossy paper. Marvel UK reprints did go colour in the 80s.

But as far as SHOWCASE is concerned, yes it became a cost-effective way of buying the volumes - my wallet isn't bottomless - but it didn't always work for me. Some 50s Batman stories, featuring a lot of gangsters, did work in b/w, but the colourful exploits of Superman, Flash and Green Lantern didn't work in b/w.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The B&W magazines were usually ink-washed.  Frank Miller really threw down the ink in his high-contrast SIN CITY and the like.  JB's OMAC was heavy on the detail and zip effects.  These were made to be in B&W.

If a new B&W series failed to follow one of these procedures (and sometimes they don't), it just wouldn't look right.  Same thing with these reprints of material originally intended for color.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 3:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's an interesting point. I like the stories and I like the art. For some books, color is necessary; for some, it isn't so much. Green Lantern does fall a bit short in B&W, granted - but it is SPECIFICALLY based on color. So that's only one.

It seems that the Essentials/Showcase books aren't acceptable for reprints because they lack color and seem cheap; and the Masterworks/Archives aren't acceptable because they're too pricey. So the desired product is not merely reprints of series, but a book that's an exact copy of the original book in a TPB, somewhat affordable package.

I'm really happy with the B&W work; in some cases, it is absolutely excellent to me. For examples, the Atom, Hawkman, Superfriends, and Batman and the Outsiders* are all swell; and I don't need the color to discern what's going on for the most part (as opposed to a lot of recent comic books.)

I've recently reread my Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, and Marvel Team-Up books and they hold up pretty well B&W too.

But with so many of those, I read the original color books; so I'm seeing them sort of through a remove. That might be the difference.

*Okay, in BATO, Halo sorely lacks in B&W. You'll get that on occasion. Kryptonite falls into that same hole... :)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

What I found weird was when SHOWCASE did a volume for Booster Gold (I didn't buy it, but I knew of it). Gold made his debut in late 80s, right? Long after any comic was black-and-white. I flicked through the pages in Forbidden Planet, it was weird to see a modern comic reprinted in black and white.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If this thread was started just a few months ago, I would certainly have mentioned things like HOWARD THE DUCK, MASTER OF KUNG FU, and KILLRAVEN/WAR OF THE WORLDS, as there seemed to be legal problems preventing collecting all of those, but it seems that the problems have been solved--at least for hardcovers or B&W, though it is very nice that Steve Gerber's HOWARD stories are finally widely available (along with Gerber's MAN-THING) in good color softcovers.  Of course, this is AFTER I went and collected most of the original issues!

However, it does remind me of these other problematic series...

BOB HOPE and JERRY LEWIS by Neal Adams!  Apparently, these can't be reprinted in any Adams DC collection.

TARZAN--What about all those DC Kubert and Marvel Buscema issues?  JOHN CARTER seems to get reprinted, but I haven't seen any pre-Dark Horse TARZAN available.

MICRONAUTS--Somebody mentioned this earlier, but it would be a shame if those amazing Michael Golden issues were never seen again.  These tiny fellows deserve an oversize edition.

LOGAN'S RUN--I'm repeating myself, but the Kraft/Perez adaptation also deserves an oversize edition.

THE SHADOW--All the Kaluta issues!  (Though I liked the Robbins issues too.)

OUTLAND--And there's a Steranko adaptation of the OUTLAND movie that I would kill for!

Edited by Eric Jansen on 19 July 2017 at 6:38pm

Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2017 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Blood of the Demon
Marvel: The Lost Generation
OMAC
Batman Beyond Animated style series

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |