Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: TV on DVD Opinions Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

For a long time, I "published" a weekly list of titles that were being released on DVD/Blu-ray.  As the years went by, however, I noticed fewer and fewer people responding to it so I kinda gradually let it slip away. It's now been a couple of years since I've written that weekly thread.  If your habits are like mine, I found I buy fewer television titles now than I did when DVD was all the rage.  Why?  Because I can stream them on any of a number of different sites.  Now I don't feel like I have to own EVERY SEASON of a certain series because I can find it on Netflix, Hulu, CBS All-Access or other IPs.  

There are still series I want that I can't find on a streaming service, so I'll buy them but my preference there has changed as well.  If I buy a physical copy of a series or a movie, there HAS TO BE a digital component included. That's non-negotiable for me. I need to "future proof" my collection as best as I'm able since I think the disc format is going to go the way of the Wildebeest very soon.  In other words, it's a "no sale" if I only get a copy on disc. 

All that said, does anyone miss the old thread on new TV releases?  If I get enough of a response, I'll start it up again.  Just wanted to toss it out there.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 4:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My two-penneth: it's extremely rare for me to buy a TV boxset now (I have Netflix). The last one I purchased was HANNIBAL - and I regretted it as Netflix soon bought that show.

The only compelling reason for me to buy a TV boxset now is if there are many good extras, i.e. audio commentaries on episodes, etc. Other than that, there's no reason to buy. Perhaps in the age of streaming, Matt, those other than devout collectors (who like physical copies) are doing streaming.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I used to check it out occasionally, but I can't say I've missed it.

I can't remember the last set I bought. I'll look if I'm at a Best Buy, but anything I grab is on impulse.  Between our streaming and the DVR and how much we currently have queued up to watch, I don't really have the time any more to go out an grab the 6th season of Diff'rent Strokes no matter how much I loved (at the time) the addition of Sam.

Though I do occasionally keep an eye out for series I have never been able to stream but not to the point that I need them on release day.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't miss it and don't buy any DVDs at all these days. Appreciate the work you put it into doing it before though and the offer to restart it. I do miss your old box office thread though... :)

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Along with the availability of streaming, I also find I just don't have the time to watch complete seasons (or series!) to warrant buying a lot of them.

But I do occasionally buy some that I feel I'll watch enough episodes of to make it worthwhile. And/or if streaming is not always an option...

I bought the complete BATMAN when it came out on Blu-Ray. It looks wonderful.

I also have the complete run of THE INCREDIBLE HULK on DVD. I understand it's on Blu-Ray, now, too (not here in the U.S., but I may still grab a copy). The show was on Netflix for a time, but not at the moment.

I have the complete STAR TREK: TOS on Blu-Ray. And a few seasons of TNG. Both are currently streaming on Netflix, but may not be forever. With TNG, I enjoy the quality of the video and audio*, but also extras. Season 2 has the extended version of The Measure of a Man, for instance. With TOS, you have the option of watching with new or original FX shots.

*Blu-Ray is still superior to any streaming I've seen/heard, in this regard. To some degree with these shows, but especially with movies.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Peter Martin wrote:
I do miss your old box office thread though... :)

That one is coming back.  I've just had a weird up/down summer this year and didn't think it fair if I couldn't write it on a weekly basis.  You'll see it again in 2018 and maybe see a recap of the summer in a single thread in August.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've recently stepped up to Blu (tho I am not replacing my DVDs except for boxed edition that take up less space) but I have not trird streaming or NetFlix or the like. There is a sense of impermanence that puts me off.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As for the discs going the way of the dinosaur...well, ok. Most new disc technology is backward compatible - my current Blu-Ray players play DVD's and CD's, too.

Remember when they used to talk about "CD rot" back in the 80's? I have hundreds of CDs, some of them 30 years old, and have yet to see an example. I have a DVD player that's nearly 20-years old that I still play DVDs and CDs on. The disc medium lasts.

Manufacturing of phonograph turntables is on an upswing, too. Cassettes are making a bit of a comeback, as well. Heck, they just stopped producing VHS machines earlier this year.

I don't think we'll ever see the complete eradication of physical media, at least, not in my remaining lifetime. I feel my collections, on a personal level, are already pretty "future proof"...

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 27 July 2017 at 1:52pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As for a weekly update? The items I buy are so few and far between, I wouldn't have much use for it.

The box office thread was always interesting, though.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have not trird streaming or NetFlix or the like. There is a sense of impermanence that puts me off.

I feel the same.

I also hate how Netflix does not have "expiry dates" for its films/shows. It might be useful to know, particularly for TV series.

Right now, there are several shows I want to watch. If they are new to Netflix, I know they'll be on there a while, but otherwise i do not know. There are three other shows I am interested in watching - but what do I choose first? If one had an "expiry date" such as October 2017, I know I'd watch that first, but without knowing, it might be on for three months, six months or one year.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

When Matt Reed first started talking about the inevitable decline of physical media and the "just accept it" rise of streaming, I definitely fell into the "How dare you, sir!" camp...

...but I've seen the light, for the most part.  I'll still buy some films from time-to-time, if the DVD is good & cheap, or if the Blu-ray is packed with special features, but in terms of TV series, there's almost no real reason to buy them on physical media anymore, especially if you're hooked into Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc., like my family is.  Almost any show you can think of is part of one or more platforms.

The last complete series I bought on DVD was Parks & Recreation (I show I started watching on Netflix, ironically enough!), and even then, it was only because of the bonus features, plus the entire set was on sale for only about $25 on Amazon a few months back.

Too good to pass up at the time, but I can't think of another series I need to own on disc (aside from the ones I own, and had bought years before).  And updating to Blu-ray for any series I already own seems like an expensive fools errand... they all play just fine, thank you, on our current Blu-ray players.

So yeah, for TV shows?  Streaming for me, going forward.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 27 July 2017 at 12:33pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It would be a fool's errand, yes. I have the 70s Hulk series on DVD. The Blu-ray doesn't have any new extras or anything.

I can only buy TV shows now if the extras make it worthwhile. And that doesn't mean a trailer, photo gallery and a 10-minute PR "making of". Give me some commentaries, something unique/esoteric - and a proper making of documentary. That'll get me buying.

This is one way DVD distributors could "equalize" the battle with streaming services. Streaming services will most likely never provide extras (I can't imagine Netflix offering a commentary option), but if DVDs can give us unique, esoteric and entertaining extras, there may be a future for physical media.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I still buy *some* TV shows on DVDs, but so few of them are anything I feel the need to watch more than once that it seems silly to own them just to have them sit on a shelf.  The last one I bought was the big Twin Peaks "Complete Mystery" 10 Blu Ray set. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 12:32am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I can`t remember the last tv series i bought on
dvd/bluray,Misfits probably.I still buy films on
Bluray if i really like them or want to get a classic
when it`s in a sale.I have streamed a few tv series on
Netflix and watched some films.I have recently started
`Renting` films via Sky Store in the U.K. it is very
convenient to watch recent films i didn`t get the
chance to see at the cinema,and at 5.49 per film,it`s
cheaper than the 2 cinema tickets i`d have to buy for
a date night!
One frustrating thing about streaming,i have recently
been reading good things about The Handmaid`s
Tale,which is currently being shown on tv,i went onto
C4`s catch up site and they are only streaming
episodes from ep 6 onwards which seems incredibly
stupid!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Bill Collins wrote:
One frustrating thing about streaming,i have recently 
been reading good things about The Handmaid`s 
Tale,which is currently being shown on tv,i went onto 
C4`s catch up site and they are only streaming 
episodes from ep 6 onwards which seems incredibly 
stupid!

That's a frustration shared on this side of the pond as well, Bill.  Nearly every content provider app from any network only streams a certain number of episodes from a current series**.  The AMC app will only hold 8 episodes of THE WALKING DEAD.  ABC's app rarely has entire seasons of shows currently airing.  While I understand not wanting to host entire past seasons for free on their app because they want to monetize their investment via sales to streaming sites like Netflix and Hulu, I think it's extremely shortsighted to host only a few episodes of a season that is currently airing.  They loose viewers that way.  Say I don't hear about a show or haven't had time to experience a new series for months.  I check out ABC's app in January, for example, only to find that Show X isn't streaming the first four episodes.  It starts with Episode 5.  That's just dumb.  I'm not going to go to iTunes and buy the first couple of episodes of a series I haven't seen just to try it.  So I wait until it's offered on Netflix or Hulu, but that intervening time can be as much as a year.  By that time, my interested may have abated.  Talk about not capitalizing on a potential viewer.  This same scenario also pertains to On Demand, where networks also pull episodes of a currently airing season after they've been up for X number of months.  

**I understand that there are exceptions, but they do not prove the rule.  It's extremely rare to find an entire season of a show currently airing on a network's app.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Shaun Barry wrote:
When Matt Reed first started talking about the inevitable decline of physical media and the "just accept it" rise of streaming, I definitely fell into the "How dare you, sir!" camp...

...but I've seen the light, for the most part.

Welcome to the dark side!  ;)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

my arch nemesis wrote:
While I understand not wanting to host entire past seasons for free on their app because they want to monetize their investment via sales to streaming sites like Netflix and Hulu, I think it's extremely shortsighted to host only a few episodes of a season that is currently airing.  They loose viewers that way.  Say I don't hear about a show or haven't had time to experience a new series for months.  I check out ABC's app in January, for example, only to find that Show X isn't streaming the first four episodes.  It starts with Episode 5.  That's just dumb.  I'm not going to go to iTunes and buy the first couple of episodes of a series I haven't seen just to try it.  So I wait until it's offered on Netflix or Hulu, but that intervening time can be as much as a year.

If it's a current show, most of the major networks (I know AMC is NOT one that does this at this time) air the newest show the next day on Hulu. And they stay on Hulu for a while. That's how we keep up with new episodes. As you say, tho, this isn't true for every show and network, it works with most of the networks and shows that have a deal with Hulu. The only one we've noticed that doesn't is THE BLACKLIST on NBC. NBC kept all the episodes on its own app this past season. They didn't reach Hulu at all.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Very short sighted Matt,as I will not be watching new
episodes of The Handmaid's Tale as they air,I wilk not be
watching the adverts that pay their bills.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

ABC's app rarely has entire seasons of shows currently airing.

-----

I only started watching SPEECHLESS because it was one of the shows that ABC had an entire season available at the time. I caught a random episode and decided to watch it from the beginning. I don't think I would've continued to follow the show if the whole season wasn't available.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

You know, years ago, owning physical media was important to me. Who didn't want colourful DVD (or VHS) covers on their shelves? I loved the look of all 89 tapes of ST: TNG (I know, I know, but I wanted to buy them).

Physical media is important for me now when it comes to music. I want my KISS collection in physical form on my shelves. I know if any of you ever visit my apartment, you'll be staring at my KISS vinyl for weeks!

But, seriously, I live in a studio apartment. Space isn't as big as a house. And for that reason, it has become less important to own TV shows on physical media. Also, unlike the aforementioned KISS albums, physical media doesn't elicit the same emotion from me when it comes to DVD. I'm just as happy for the shows to exist somewhere on my Chromebook.

It can be argued that album covers are as much a part of enjoying the music as the songs, but I don't think the same can be said, at least not for me, about DVDs/Blu-rays. I may get a buzz from seeing my KISS CD/vinyl collection on my shelves, but I don't get a buzz from seeing cases/artwork for THE DUKES OF HAZZARD. I'm happy for that show to exist on a streaming service accessible via my Chromebook.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I used to really look forward to new DVD releases of movies and TV show box sets and would buy them as they were released. I really miss the days when Circuit City (RIP) and Best Buy were in competition so you'd get some pretty great prices on the initial release week. 

Now that I have three streaming services (Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime) plus HBOGo and Starz and Showtime's streaming apps, I find that I don't purchase any TV show box sets on Bluray unless it's something that isn't available streaming (which isn't much honestly) or something I know I will watch multiple times and really want to hear the commentaries and watch the special features and it's on sale. And the same with films on Bluray.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Very short sighted Matt,as I will not be watching new
episodes of The Handmaid's Tale as they air,I wilk not be
watching the adverts that pay their bills.

On Hulu, you have the option to make your account ad-free. It doubles the price of the subscription, tho. CBS All-Access has the option, as well, but it's only a $2 increase, so we do that one.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Now that I have three streaming services (Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime) plus HBOGo and Starz and Showtime's streaming apps, I find that I don't purchase any TV show box sets on Bluray unless it's something that isn't available streaming (which isn't much honestly) or something I know I will watch multiple times and really want to hear the commentaries and watch the special features and it's on sale. And the same with films on Bluray.

This is why distributors of TV boxsets must "up the ante" when it comes to extras. They are not gonna persuade me to buy entire seasons if all they can offer is a trailer, 5-minute PR "making of" and a photo gallery (seriously, who lobbies for photo galleries on DVDs?).

To get me to buy a season, I want at least 3-4 commentaries and a couple of good documentaries. I watched TRAVELERS on Netflix. Good show. No idea if it's on DVD yet, but Season 2 will arrive soon. If they can give me some good extras, I may consider the Blu-rays. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Michael Roberts wrote:
I only started watching SPEECHLESS because it was one of the shows that ABC had an entire season available at the time.

Exception not the rule.  When I watched both ONCE UPON A TIME and AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (dropped both a while ago), I tried to catch up after a time when my DVR wasn't working.  ABC only had the previous six episodes available, both On Demand and via their app.  

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

On Hulu, you have the option to make your account ad-free. It doubles the price of the subscription, tho. CBS All-Access has the option, as well, but it's only a $2 increase, so we do that one.

Same here, Brian. There are a few exceptions which seem to be all ABC shows that I watched like Agents of Shield which still have commercials but only before and after the show and not very many. It's definitely worth it to watch everything else commercial free though.

And agreed about the extras, Robbie. I really loved all the extras on the box set of Spaced.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |