Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Star Trek Newspaper Strips (Graphic Novel Collection) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Star Trek Graphic Novel Collection (UK) published its 15th issue recently devoted to the newspaper strips:

Syndicated in the US by the Los Angeles Times Syndicate, it appeared as a daily strip in newspapers (some of the strips were even in colour).

It follows on from ST: TMP. As the writers/artists completed some strips before the movie, there will be inconsistencies (Ilia appears in one strip). Nothing too jarring, though.

I'm three adventures into the book. The first strip sees Kirk and crew find two survivors on a mysterious moon; the second strip sees Kirk battling the Klingons on a planet over dilithium; and the third strip sees a McCoy impostor replace the real McCoy and sneak aboard the Enterprise.

I'm really enjoying this. I can recommend them (I don't know how available they are outside the UK and Ireland). The art is very good and the characters very true to what we saw on screen. Having read an old STAR TREK comic where the characters are often wrong (i.e. Spock claiming one alien species 'made his skin crawl'), it's nice to see characters on-model. It's also nice to see the uniforms and Enterprise layout from the first movie used. No continuity errors so far, either.

The newspaper strips never appealed to me, but I'm glad I have bought this issue in the collection (I'm not a subscriber, but Forbidden Planet sells every issue). I've read a lot of STAR TREK comics. Only some of them have appealed to me, such as those done by our host and these strips. Highly recommended, folks. 
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

By sheer coincidence--and speaking of availability--I just noticed this about 20 minutes ago on the Eaglemoss US website/store.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wow, I was unaware Eaglemoss had a US division. Glad to hear it.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Y'see, I was skimming around for a good deal on their DESIGNING STARSHIPS books, which collect all the content from the magazines included with Eaglemoss' starship models. Me, I build my own models, so I'm really more interested in the "making of" materials that Eaglemoss has released.

While on the site, I also noticed their various graphic novel collections. Very neat. I've had my eye on the UK hardcover volumes that came out, a few years back. Nice to see that content available in more affordable trades, now.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2017 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There were a few new starship designs in the news paper comics I liked.
heh, there was even a sort of predecessor to the Borg Collective in one story.

Also, keep an eye out for the appearance of Santa Clause.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A predecessor to the Borg Collective? Oh, I might progress through this book even quicker. Especially for Santa Claus. ;-)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Still enjoying these, although Kirk didn't know what Sumerian was in one strip. Spock had to tell him it was an old earth language. Kirk always showed knowledge of all sorts of history - am surprised he was unaware of the Sumerian language.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Especially for Santa Claus. ;-)

Be informed, Santa has gone undercover ;)

One thing I rather dislike about the Star Trek newspaper comic which is an issue that the Star Wars newspaper comic also suffered from (in the non edited version) was that the team handling the comic wasn't allowed to make the comic progress in a major way during the weekday entries or having to repeat plot points over and over again.

Reason was that there were readers who only read the weekend paper/Sunday paper. They would be left out or confused if the comic series had progressed significantly since the last big color comic from the previous weekend.
As a result the comic could be feel very slow paced or stretched out, sort of filler-ish.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

One thing I rather dislike about the Star Trek newspaper comic which is an issue that the Star Wars newspaper comic also suffered from (in the non edited version) was that the team handling the comic wasn't allowed to make the comic progress in a major way during the weekday entries or having to repeat plot points over and over again.

It's a tad jarring when reading it as one collection.

I mean, you'll read a panel in this book - and the panel below is recapping what you read a nanosecond ago. Fine back in the days of waiting 24 hours for the next newspaper strip, but odd when reading it all at once.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I do warn in advance that at some point the art in the newspaper comic goes rather down in quality as do the stories which before that I would consider interesting to amusing but nothing like on the level of the Star Wars news paper comic.

It is impressive how well the artists of the early stories got the Enterprise refit and the Klingon K'tinga class down to details so well when Marvel and DC artists for a long time after them half the time couldn't.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Marten, I've finished the book. Other than one tale, I enjoyed it all.

Regarding the STAR WARS newspaper strips, I hope to buy those soon.

I do wish us Brits had got some of the US strips at times. I think the Spider-Man strip got syndicated to London's Sunday Times, but not many US strips made their way over here! 

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Out of curiosity, which stories does this book contain?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Here's what the book contains:

"Called Home"
"Dilithium Dilemma"
"The Real McCoy"
"Double Bluff"
"Aberration on Abaris"
"Husian Gambit"
"Heads of State"

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Yeah, those still qualify what I consider to be decent Star Trek stories in general as are the following stories that follow up on it, both in writing and in art style.

It's a Living
The Savage Within
Quarantine
Restructuring is Futile (the story that features what I suggested earlier as somewhat of a "predecessor" to the Borg Collective in TNG)
The Wristwatch Plantation
The Nogura Regatta (the story in which Santa makes a sort of an undercover guest appearance ;) )

After that sadly the quality of the newspaper comic rather drops strongly as Sharman DiVono, Ron Harris, and Thomas Warkentin were no longer on it any more.

Regarding the Star Wars newspaper comic, Dark Horse had most of the stories done by Russ Manning, and later Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson collected in issues and later in collections.

I think a UK publisher did release them as well, otherwise I am sure you can easily find the Dark Horse versions.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 30 July 2017 at 5:10pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"Husian Gambit" is the only story I didn't enjoy. It's overlong. The rest are all good, though. 

I can't wait for the "Borg" storyline.

I shall seek out the STAR WARS strips, thanks.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2017 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

"Husian Gambit" is the only story I didn't enjoy. It's overlong.

I have the same feeling, I did not like that one much either. For one it suffered to much of the problem I mentioned earlier newspaper comics with a running storyline suffered from.

I can't wait for the "Borg" storyline.

"Borg like", not the Borg from TNG and VOY ;)

While I do remember that Pocket Books did some novels between Star Trek The Motion Picture and Wrath of Kahn, Star Trek comics barely ever touch Kirk's second five year mission.

There were the newspaper comics, the Marvel series in the 80s, and a Marvel mini series in the 90s (Star Trek Untold Voyages)
I wonder why barely anything with this period was done despite that a lot of significant changes took place during it.

- The Organians either disappeared from the Galactic scene or decided no longer to involve themselves in Federation-Klingon Empire affairs, making it possible for both to engage each other in warfare again.

- The Romulans may have decided around this time to send an ambassador to the Federation and start diplomatic relations.

The comics in general are always set in either the first five year mission (not that I mind this period, the crew was at its prime) or the movie era, in particular between Star Trek 4 and 6. (a less favorite period of mine)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I have the same feeling, I did not like that one much either. For one it suffered to much of the problem I mentioned earlier newspaper comics with a running storyline suffered from.

Yeah, "Husian Gambit" goes on forever. It's overlong. Seem to be so many panels of Kirk and crew discussing breaking the chains. 

Eagle Moss will no doubt release the second volume of newspaper strips - which I probably will buy.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Regarding the Star Wars newspaper comic, I understand that this is the best collection of the Russ Manning comics

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Classic-Newspaper-Comics/dp /1631408720/ref=pd_sbs_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=16314 08720&pd_rd_r=5H5PZ30ZZHTRVCM8YWTR&pd_rd_w=fV7XM& ;pd_rd_wg=eaevo&psc=1&refRID=5H5PZ30ZZHTRVCM8YWTR

The Dark Horse version of the collection cut of panels and I also think it did not include the Sunday page entries which contain plot points that are not always depicted as clearly in the weekly strips.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Yes, that's the one I wish to buy eventually.

I didn't even know there were STAR TREK and STAR WARS strips until recently. I also learnt that He-Man had a newspaper strip. What else do I not know about? ;-)

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Well that depends on what you are looking for?
I have come across some other long running strips IPs while looking into the subject of newspaper comics but not all of them are probably your taste.

There is Flash Gordon and Buck Roger though I don't know if they ever got collected into collection books. Superman, Batman, Spider-man which each had their own newspaper comic. Dallas apparently.

Perhaps you should check out the lists of newspaper comics on Google.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 31 July 2017 at 3:27pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I shall do.

I would have loved to have read the Spider-Man newspaper strip. 

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I would have loved to have read the Spider-Man newspaper strip.

And Amazon can assist you in that as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Newspaper-Strips-Stan-Lee/ dp/0785185615

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

If you're going to get a Spider-Man newspaper strip collection, get this one instead, it's much better.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-Ultimate-Newspaper -Collection/dp/1631403516/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8& ;qid=1501548775&sr=1-2

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2017 at 12:14am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

The Spider-Man Newspaper strip is still running, and recent strips can be found online.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2017 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Thank you for the links, guys.

We Brits have been unlucky. I think London's Sunday Times may have reprinted the Spider-Man strip in the mid-90s (I found out too late), but I can't recall many papers where we syndicate US stuff. There will be exceptions, of course.

He's not a US character, but Judge Dredd had a strip in the "Daily Star" for a while. But I'd have loved to have seen the likes of Dick Tracy and Star Wars syndicated to a UK newspaper.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |