Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Kirby 100 (A Celebration) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Liefeld's comment reminds how the hippies of the 1960s changed their "don't trust anyone over 30" tune when they passed that particular milestone...
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Liefeld's comment reminds how the hippies of the 1960s changed their "don't trust anyone over 30" tune when they passed that particular milestone...

Or Pete Townshend's "I hope I die before I get old" line.   Interviewers love to dredge that up hoping it will draw out some off-colour rant that will make their interview a "must read".   I'm sure JB had his fair share of interviews like that where something he's supposed to have said, either in or outside of an artistic work is supposed to stand true forever.  Apparently fame has no room for youthful comments or changing opinions.

On another note,  I'm proud to share the same birthday as King Kirby.

Not many famous people were born on Aug 28.  Jack's one of them. Heck, I rarely meet *anyone* who was born on the 28th -- weirdly, I've met a ton who were born on the 27th and 29th.  One of life's mysteries.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Even after 30 years in the industry Leifield isn't as good as Kirby was his first year. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ray Owens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2017 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Loving this tribute from so many about Jack and his work, but where is Stan's, surely a major omission.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

When I first discovered Jack Kirby's work in the early 70's, I didn't understand his work.  It looked like bad artwork, odd angles, bodies out of proportions, weird stuff.  Then when I finaly got to read the leadup to the the into of Galactus and the Silver Surfer, with the FF traveling to the Hidden Land.  I understood his work.  I have been a fan ever since.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.." 

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Happy Birthday! Jack.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There was a time when people at cons would ask me which artists had the greatest influence on me. I'd rattle off my list, and when I said Kirby, the frequent response was miming of gagging and puking.

I've often said, about the only good thing the Image boys did was making Kirby their mascot, so they could pretend they'd been mistreated by Marvel "just like Jack was!" It created a wave of fans who at least pretended to appreciate Kirby's work.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Disparaging Jack Kirby -- it's so unfathomable to me. 

With what decade's generation of readers did this begin, JB?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This would have been in the early 80s and forward.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I started reading comics regularly in January 1985 and Kirby's reputation was in the toilet among my middle-school peers, something I attribute to several factors.

Kirby's work didn't art being reprinted at length until later in the decade, so all we had to go on were the comparatively crude origin stories available in the bookstore trades. Later readers had a much better grounding once Marvel's reprint program reached the meat of Kirby's FF and THOR in the Nineties, not to mention DC's Fourth World reprints. 

The only new Kirby work available in 85 were toy tie-ins for DC; his creator-owned independent comics from earlier in the decade were littering quarter bins and reportedly not that great. Kirby was fighting with Marvel over his original artwork, which reminded fans of Kirby's Sixties peak without showcasing the work itself; some fans bleated, "What have you done for me lately?" while others turned on Kirby out of solidarity with Marvel. 

At the same time Marvel artists like Al Milgrom and Ron Frenz were producing Kirby pastiche or outright tracings, associating Kirby and his style with some of Marvel's worst product through no fault of his own. As I recall, my friends and often said Kirby's name in vain while bitching about Secret Wars II, because we were stupid and didn't know any better.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

From HUNGER DOGS, this is still one of my favorite Kirby panels. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

OK, anti-Kirby ideas began exactly when I stopped reading comicbooks.

I'm so glad I missed that!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |