Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: More Channels, Less Choice Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Be careful what you wish for.

As a kid, there were three channels here in the UK: BBC One, BBC Two and ITV. Channel 4 was added in 1982. And then Channel 5 in 1997. In between 1982 and 1997, cable and satellite TV made its debut over here.

Now there are countless channels. And yet it seems there's less choice. Thank goodness for streaming and Blu-rays.

The main problem I have, and I know it comes down to personal choice, is that there are a lot of derivative shows about. I was flicking through my channels earlier to watch something. So many cop documentaries, so many food documentaries, so many channels which seemingly have wall-to-wall serial killer documentaries.

Something like DEADLIEST CATCH or PAWN STARS ends up "spawning" countless imitators. It does seem creativity isn't necessarily paramount.

It's not all bad, of course. The BBC appears to invest in great original programming such as DOCTOR WHO, LINE OF DUTY and RELLIK. Some channels do invest in or buy great sci-fi shows. But for all the channels I can access via my Virgin Media box, there are a hell of a lot that are the same. And so many similar channels, too. 

For example, shopping channels do not interest me. Back in the day, there was QVC. Quite easy to skip past, but now there are countless shopping channels. It seems the more channels that are added, the less choice there is. And my advice to channels would be this: just because ICE ROAD TRUCKERS, DEADLIEST CATCH, PAWN STARS and DINERS, DRIVER-INS AND DIVES are all reasonably entertaining (in small doses), that doesn't mean we need "clones" of those shows.

Despite my post, I am very positive. I'm grateful for Amazon Prime and Netflix. More and more esoteric and obscure films are being released on Blu-ray by smaller companies such as Arrow Video and 88 Films. And the shows I do enjoy (HOUSE OF CARDS, THE WALKING DEAD, GAME OF THRONES) are all very strong; even their mediocre episodes are solid.

I'd feel lost for choice if I didn't have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Blu-rays and certain channels. The rest doesn't appeal to me.
Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'd feel lost for choice if I didn't have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Blu-rays... 
--

I've stopped watching "regular" TV. I don't know what's on, where it's on - and I don't care. If I like a show, I'll wait for the DVD or, preferably, catch it on Netflix or other streaming services. There's still so much to watch that I can't get through everything. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You`re right Robbie,channels like ITVBe and ITV2 i never
watch but having seen the trailers for the type of stuff
they show,it all seems like vacuous drivel aimed at
airheaded women(Please not i am not calling all women
airheads!)
Then there`s the `Reality` and `Documentary` channels
showing endless stuff we`ve seen enough of.
There is a bit of a similarity with the current comics
scene...we need a good cull and a bit of quality
control!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I get my TV now through SlingTV, which means that in addition to the regular live TV, I've got a ridiculous amount of On Demand available at no additional charge.  So I can go back and binge watch different series through their channel listing.  If you subscribe to HBO on Sling, you have access to everything HBO ever.  A couple weeks I went back and rewatched Six Feet Under.  Likewise with other channels, where you can go back and watch whole seasons of shows on AMC, USA, FX, etc.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

We were warned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2zUEiVQU4

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If the people who run multichannel TV could make money by showing a blank screen most channels wouldn't bother with programming at all.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Horror channel showing Star Trek Voyager,SyFy not,why
bother with themed channels?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |