Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Charlton Bytes with John Byrne! Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think the internet has tainted my perceptions, John. Your voice was actually much softer than I expected. For some reason I was expecting a very gruff voice.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Having spent half of yesterday at a Con, talking more or less constantly, today I have what I call my "Barry White" voice. But, yeah, since I don't talk a lot in my day to day life, my natural speaking voice is kinda soft.

Also, all note please, no Canadian or English accent!

Back to Top profile | search

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB : Also, all note please, no Canadian or English accent!

It's interesting to note that neuroplasticity apparently affects the retention of accent. I grew up with a Bostonian accent but moved to Atlantic Canada just after High School. Within a few years I had an accent from this region. The older you are the less likely to lose the original accent.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2018 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I hope this comes out in some form soon, so many of these labour of love video projects don't seem to. That clip was great to see!

I was lucky enough to talk to Dick Giordano a couple of times a few decades back and he had some great stories about Charlton, though not sure they might want to include some of them. I strongly remember something about a press that was formerly, or part-time, used for cereal boxes Charlton used for covers.

I had come across a 1959 comic he had done the cover for titled The Green Planet and he seemed happy to see it; I almost offered to give it to him but thought it might seem I didn't like or want it, so settled on asking for the autograph. I almost never ask for them, but it's nice if it happens in a way that makes the signer feel appreciated. I also got to meet his wife one time, they were like adopted Italian Grandparents for a couple of days, I felt so bad she'd had this hang-up with customs over her insulin coming in. Mr. Giordano's hearing was starting to go a bit by then but he seemed to be able to hear me (I do an impersonation of Ethel Merman sometimes that can shock some people).

While I did buy some Charlton comics when Mr. Byrne worked for them, other than a Wheelie & The Chopper Bunch it was only later I got any of his works. Luckily the comic shops here seemed to have a lot of them, stock from an Astonishing Books & Comics on Fort Street, so I even got Charlton Bullseye magazine! They (Bullseye) might have really got me to appreciate Alex Toth with an unpublished Question story and cover, and Dick Giordano was impressed that I knew who that was! I also had a gleeful enjoyment of Killjoy and Rog 2000 in the backs of some E-Mans of course! Killjoy; comics for Ayn Rand readers! the trippiest Steve Ditko creation ever in my opinion. What I wouldn't give for one more Killjoy!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 17 February 2018 at 9:57pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rebecca, you may be in luck. Killjoy apparently shows up twice in Ditko's independently published Package series. He's on the cover of the first issue from 1989 (reprinted in 2001) and he's in issue 4, a 176-page issue. The issue 4 appearance is supposedly a 21-page story entitled "The Evil Brotherhood." Whether it's merely a reprint of the Killjoy story from issue one is something I haven't been able to track down yet, but worst case scenario, there is still at least ONE MORE Killjoy story out there to enjoy...!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 February 2018 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've had a couple of lunches with the director, Jackie Zbuska, since shooting my segment, and she assures me that all concerned are pursuing with due diligence all the steps needed to get this movie finished and released.

So I may yet get my star on Hollywood Boulevard!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's interesting to note that neuroplasticity apparently affects the retention of accent. I grew up with a Bostonian accent but moved to Atlantic Canada just after High School. Within a few years I had an accent from this region. The older you are the less likely to lose the original accent.

••

True dat. My parents never lost theirs. My English accent used to turn on and off, unconsciously, when I was talking to them.

(Mom told me the story, years ago, of how, after the three of us had dinner with an English couple who were friends, one of them commented she thought it strange that I had not lost my accent. Of course, surrounded by Brit Speakers, I had lapsed back without even knowing it.)

(ASIDE: Some years ago I was doing my English accent deliberately, in front of some American friends, and one "corrected" me, saying I was not getting it right. She then demonstrated the "proper" way with a pure Dick van Dyke [MARY POPPINS] abomination! For many Americans, apparently, an "English accent" is what they hear other Americans doing.)

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

MY father was born and raised in Greenwich Village (NY). Despite moving to the suburbs with his burgeoning family at the age of 35, he never lost his NYC accent, pronouncing "these, them, and those" as "dees, dem, and dohs" until his death at the age of 80.

I would call my parents every Sunday afternoon to check in and give them updates about their grandkids, staying on the line with both of them at least 20 minutes. Apparently, during the chats, my NYC vocal proclivities would kick in. When I would hang up the phone with my folks, My Virginia-born wife would tell me to go "watch TV or something until that wears off... and don't talk to the kids!"

Edited by Michael Hogan on 19 February 2018 at 12:04pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

'And don't watch Bugs Bunny!";-D

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Question for JB, some of the interviews indicated everything at Charlton was done under one roof. Was it still like that when you worked there?

Latest update on the movie is that they are going into post production, and still looking for more funding.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Charlton was located in Derby, Connecticut, and I was in Calgary, Alberta. Not exactly one roof!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ha! That would be one large roof!

Thanks!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |