Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek
Topic: 15 Of The Most Controversial Things Star Trek Has Done Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's the list (and there'll be spoilers form ALL small-screen STAR TREK):

A British soap, called BROOKSIDE, featured a lesbian kiss in the early 90s. I remember the media going crazy! Now, no-one would, quite rightly, bat an eyelid.

I remember being pissed off at the BBC for not airing the TNG episode "Conspiracy". They didn't air "The High Ground", either. They did years later. "Conspiracy" was always relatively tame.

"Code of Honor" is crap.

I don't really have a view on the rest of the list.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"The controversy comes on two fronts for this one. Some fans were turned off by the simple fact that Kirk is willing to let someone die to save the future."

Kirk does not "let someone die" in THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER. She had already died, a couple of hundred years before he was even born.

"Also, Gene Roddenberry drastically changed the script written by Harlan Ellison."

Terrible! Absolutely terrible! Especially since Harlan was the only writer whose work was changed in the entire history of Hollywood!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Terrible! Absolutely terrible! Especially since Harlan was the only writer whose work was changed in the entire history of Hollywood!

Thanks for the laugh,sir. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Many people think this was TV’s first interracial kiss on American TV, which is wrong— there were smaller shows that did so before Trek "

I've seen that clip of the "first kiss" from the other show. It was a peck on the cheek if I remember right.
The TOS kiss was the "real deal". Its still the first in my mind.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Also, Gene Roddenberry drastically changed the script written by Harlan Ellison.

+++++++

As well-written as Ellison's script is, it simply would not have worked as a STAR TREK episode. Roddenberry and company were doing their jobs by calibrating a work-for-hire TV script into something which would properly fit the style and budget of the TV series that they were killing themselves to produce.

Both versions of the story have their pros and cons, but I stand by the episode as aired.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |