Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Sexual Harassment In the Entertainment Industry Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hollywood is saturated in sexual harassment culture from top to bottom. During one unfortunate year every independent film I worked on had bro directors and bro crew trading "suck-my-cock-no-YOU-suck-MY-cock" wit. I tried explaining to numerous filmmakers how unprofessional they were and they created a hostile work environment for not just the crew they were harassing but everybody on their set, and was met with consistent push back and contempt. One guy sneered so hard I thought he was having a seizure.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I cannot wait for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler to host the next awards gala next year and totally rip these guys to shreds... 

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's sickening and I cannot help but see parallels with Jimmy Savile over here.

From what has been reported, since allegations came to light in 2012, many tried to complain about Savile. Cops have spoken about him. But he was, at least back then, a "national treasure" in entertainment circles. He was a BBC icon, if you will. And from what many have stated, this is what allowed him to get away with his acts.

Savile's autobiography hinted at improper conduct. And he was interviewed under caution by the police in 2007 (he died in 2011). 

It is horrifying to read about. And many have hinted since, particularly those at the BBC, that they knew of Savile's actions. But I guess some just didn't want to rock the boat. Some, such as singer Johnny Rotten, did appear to try and rock the boat during Savile's life, but following Savile's death, so many came out and said things such as, "We heard rumours!" or "We knew, but we considered it was the job of journalism and police to stop him." 

So none of this really surprises me. I just wish we could stop it.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Rachel Maddow examines sexual harassment stories:

LINK!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm really glad some of these casting couch and other abuses of power are coming to light and hopefully it will eventually be something that's the exception rather than the rule, though as long as there's power there is probably going to be people abusing it, but any progress is good progress in regards to this. And hopefully it will spur others to come forward, just as it did Terry Crew (which shows it can happen to anyone). I'm sure this but the tip of the iceberg in regards to Weinstein and other powerful Hollywood figures. 

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

You know who I'd like to see 'redeemed' or vindicated by all this coming out?

Corey Feldman.

Otherwise relegated as a punchline in popular culture, for years he's been leading a small, quiet crusade that not only kept talk of the casting couch in the discussion, but also a culture of pedophilia amongst the 'Hollywood Elite'.

This could get a lot uglier in the coming weeks and months. With all sorts of actresses (and actors) from A-list all the way down coming out and telling their tales, all the fingerpointing and ass-covering and selling-out of long-time friends, acquaintances and business partners may get real nasty.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Michael, I was wondering if all this coming out might affect Corey Feldman and get him to name names about the child abuse he has been telling people runs rampant in Hollywood. He has been afraid to say who did what so far, but has made a point to say it happens, and more than most people think.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 1:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I am not surprised by any of this and think we will find an amazing amount of hypocrisy from some of the people pointing fingers (Ben Affleck has already got in to hot water).

Think about it. This is an industry that gets actors to act sexual between each other and convinces them that gratuitous, explicit sex is OK as long as 'it serves the story'. Come on. Is anyone fooled by that line any more? They just want you to get your tits out.

I'm pretty sure that then leads to a belief that they are allowed to touch whomever they want whenever they want.

Oh yes, let's not forget you have a President that believes this also. Weinstein should have just said it was locker room talk.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This article made me feel sick. I've since read an article where both Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow have come out that Weinstein sexually harassed them as well. 

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/from-aggressive-ove rtures-to-sexual-assault-harvey-weinsteins-accusers-tell-the ir-stories

As if all this wasn't bad enough, Twitter decided to ban Rose McGowan for harassment. Are you freaking kidding me? I think I'm done with Twitter. They let President Cheeto Crotchgrabber make threats of nuclear genocide and harass anyone he chooses from a position of incredible power, but when a victim speaks out against her abuser and his enablers, she gets silenced. 

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Re: Ben Affleck... while I'm sure that, as a closer friend of Weinstein he's probably privy to greater wrongdoings....what was with the Hilarie Burton apology? From what I've seen of the TRL tape that's getting play (unless I missed something), I wasn't seeing much groping. I see him go in for a hug, but it didn't look especially 'handsy' or overly inappropriate... Is there a full tape of the show in question out there that points out the 'grope'? Was it something that happened below frame or off-camera?

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Burton says he squeezed her boob so he's apologizing for that apparently by saying he acted inappropriately. I watched it too and didn't see anything but it also looked edited. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hollywood infested by loose morals and sexual predation? I am shocked and appalled. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I watched the interview with Weinstein accuser, journalist Lauren Sivan last night.

If true, the brazen way in which he went about his disgusting acts makes him delusional at best.

I needed a shower after listening to her account.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

If true, the brazen way in which he went about his disgusting acts makes him delusional at best
------------------------------------------------------------ -
If he was getting away with it, he wasn't delusional. A monster, yes, delusional, no.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I've always found the mere concept of a man menacing a woman by masturbating in front of her horrifying enough, but I never made the conceptual leap to the end game. Now I know it's apparently ejaculating into a flower pot. Ugh. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

How many times must we learn that people with power will ABUSE it??

And this will continue as long as no one stands up to this nonsense. (Only "swept under the rug.") There should've been ZERO TOLERANCE
YEARS AGO.

How many other studio heads like Weinstein are guilty???

-C!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Already seems like quite the sea change going on out there... let's hope everyone sticks to their guns going forward.

Again, it'll be really interesting to see how the next awards season plays out... and not just jokes from emcees, but perennial producer, director or actor nominees getting dropped like hot potatoes.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

It'll be a while before we know if any lasting change will result. I was talking to a colleague, and mentioned a director who repeatedly used to greet me on the phone with a joke about fucking my sister. 

My colleague was skeptical what I described rose to the level of sexual harassment, but the way I see it, repeated unwanted comments of a sexual nature have to qualify. I we're going to elevate ourselves it'll require a wholesale and open-minded reevaluation of commonplace interactions. 

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I am SO fed up with these creeps saying they're sorry and "need help".

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

And this will continue as long as no one stands up to this nonsense. (Only "swept under the rug.") There should've been ZERO TOLERANCE
YEARS AGO.

Indeed.

It's also a problem in politics. Lost count of the number of politicians who've engaged in sleazy behaviour.

We have a problem with politics and entertainment, certainly more so than any other industry. One pervert is enough, but I'd wager that, say, Walmart or Land Rover have less of a problem with this than the entertainment industry (and politics is a quasi-form of entertainment so I understand why it's a problem there).

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Now Weinstein's pal Ben Affleck is in hot water for inappropriate behavior. I have no sympathy for them, but I think this will turn into a vast witch hunt that will destroy the innocent and guilty alike. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 12 October 2017 at 9:18pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

James Van Der Beek is speaking out about how he was sexually harassed by older, powerful men in Hollywood when he was younger:

LINK!

Joe, it could be a witch hunt, but I think it's more likely finally exposing how bad things are in Hollywood with this sort of thing. This needs to be exposed.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I hope that for now at least, there are a lot of sexual predators who are running scared.

They deserve to finally feel that cold, tightening of their hearts that they made their victims feel. They arenít addicted to sex. They are rapists. Pure and simple.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

We have a problem with politics and entertainment, certainly more so than any other industry. One pervert is enough, but I'd wager that, say, Walmart or Land Rover have less of a problem with this than the entertainment industry (and politics is a quasi-form of entertainment so I understand why it's a problem there).

-----

I think politics and entertainment lends itself more to this thing because of the combination of vulnerable, attractive women and "untouchable" powerful men is more common, but I don't think anyone should be thinking it's not a problem everywhere.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Seth McFarlane confirms that his Weinstein joke at the Oscar nomination ceremony 5 years ago was not a coincidence, now that the actress that confided her story to him has come out publicly: LINK

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |