Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Your Avengers Dream Team Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My dream team would be the same as Shane's because that was the best Avengers era ever.

But since I'm the "writer" I'll limit to 7 and mix things up a bit.

Vision - I'd leverage his computer intelligence. He'd discover he has an imagination after all, and would start exploring science and creativity.
Wonderman - I'd make him earn that Earth's Mightiest Mortal title.
Moondragon - She would have finally found her humanity. Or not.
Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) - because he is my all-time favorite.
Scarlet Witch - because chaos magic.

Lots of friction there to explore.

And I'd create two new characters. One would be an ex Shield combat agent with a moderate healing factor that could also be used to help others, at a cost. The other would be a character with the ability to transform his body into any of the 4 elements of nature.

It would be very weird not having Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man but I'd give it a go.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I notice the challenge was worded "If you were WRITING the Avengers...", so that is somewhat different than what the fan in me always wanted.  As a fan, I would want to read about a team with Thor, Iron Man, and Hawkeye in it; as a writer, I could do something cool with--

Captain America
Vision
Scarlet Witch
Yellowjacket
Wasp
Sub-Mariner
Dr. Druid
She-Hulk
Ms. Marvel
Spider-Woman

Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 3:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Captain America
Thor
Iron Man
She-Hulk
Vision
Blue Marvel
Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)
Spectrum (Monica Rambeau)
Captain Marvel (Mar-Vel)
Black Panther

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 22 October 2017 at 3:34am

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just give me the ones I grew up with -

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Goliath/Yellowjacket
Wasp
Scarlet Witch
Vision
Hawkeye
Quicksilver
Black Panther

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not criticising anyone's choices or the original poster, but Avengers is a team that works best with  around six members. This is of course my personal taste and completely influences by my original exposure to the team.

Curiously, AF always felt sparse when I reread those early appearances (with the membership of six) and eight was definitely felt like the right number. Of course, this was a slight of hand on JB's part with the eight members of AF 1 never actually appearing together.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I agree about the membership being smaller, but 7 is the one that always springs to mind because of Avengers #181 (my second Avengers comic I ever purchased but the one that really made me a huge fan of Avengers and JB). I chose ten because I figured at least a few members would likely be reservists and because I wanted to give people at least 10 choices since there are so many great Avengers over the years. As Robbie pointed out, the original Avengers had 5 members and so did Cap's Kooky Quartet. Over the years the roster grew and grew, and even when the team was smaller there were reserve members to call in when needed. Another reason I picked ten was because Roger Stern's Avengers run, one of my favorites, had a pretty large group too, which I enjoyed. And finally I figured if I made it seven we'd be getting a lot of lists that looked exactly the same. I noted several folks that kept theirs to 7 their list looked exactly like mine would if I'd limited the choices to 7 members. I also stated that if folks wanted to make their team smaller they were more than welcome to do that as many did!

Edited by Shane Matlock on 22 October 2017 at 9:55am

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I haven't actually read that much of the Avengers, compared to my devouring of the Justice League in the early-mid '80s. I guess I prefer a 'more is better' approach, because JLA stories would often leave out as many as two-thirds of the (then) 15 members(conveniently, the villains who schemed to 'get revenge on, and destroy, the JLA' were quite often happy to kill only the half-dozen heroes who showed up that month, with no fear the others might come after them later). The Avengers had a higher 'attendance rate', from what I remember.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 22 October 2017 at 10:45am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The last Avengers run I read was the Hickman one and his Avengers team was practically an army though that was part of the plot, that they had to get bigger and more powerful to stop a huge threat to destroy the Earth. I guess the main problem with a team that big though, is it's hard enough to get any character development in a book with 7 superheroes much less one with well over a dozen. But I do like the idea of a core Avengers team with lots of reservists. 

Edit: To add that Hickman is a huge Legion of Superheroes fan, so I believe part of his making the Avengers so big was a nod to his favorite super team.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 22 October 2017 at 10:54am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Also part of the appeal to me of the Legion of Superheroes as a kid was that the team was just so big and learning who all the characters were was fun (even if they did have what I considered pretty goofy names). That was also part of the appeal of Avengers #181 when I saw it on the stands. Even though the government, with Gyrich as its mouthpiece, cut the Avengers to seven members, all those characters on that Perez cover really intrigued me. I had to get that comic and see who all these heroes were that I'd never seen before!

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I also stated that if folks wanted to make their team smaller they were more than welcome to do that as many did!

Again, really not criticising, Shane, this is a great thread.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Captain America
Thor
Iron Man
Wasp
Vision
Scarlet Witch 
Wonder Man
Hawkeye
Black Panther
Hank Pym 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Henry Pym (as whoever)
Wasp
Black Panther
Hercules
Iron Man
Captain Marvel (Monica Rambeau)
Scarlet Witch
Hawkeye

(Captain America and Thor as emergency pinch hitters)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |