Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: TV Spinoffs You May Not Have Been Aware Of Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

'Checking In' only lasted about a month. On 'The Jeffersons', Florence (Marla Gibbs) got an even better-sounding housekeeping job in a hotel, where here boss was Larry Linville, playing an insufferable jerk NOT named Frank Burns. The show had the same producers as 'The Jeffersons', so Marla Gibbs' contract covered both shows, allowing her to return to the original series if things didn't work out. Early in the '81-82 season, Florence came back to 'The Jeffersons', saying 'the hotel burned down', and that was that.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Robbie Parry:

It's hard sometimes to think where MORK AND MINDY came from. Doesn't often seem real.

Robin Williams made a follow-up appearance on 'Happy Days' in 1979, with Mork behaving more they way he did on his own show, wisecracking about '1979' topics like Jimmy Carter(asking Richie, 'Do you like peanuts?', and in response to Richie's 'I guess I can take 'em or leave 'em', Mork answers, 'Then in that case, you'll LOVE Jimmy!, which got a huge laugh from the audience, which seemed to enjoy the 'out of era' humor), the energy crisis, and cars and women being 'both...much faster' in his era. There was also an aside in a report to Orson(who asked why nobody in the 'Happy Days 50s ever talked about Senator Joe McCarthy) said that perhaps humans 'only choose to remember the good things'.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member

Evertonian

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There was another Man About the House spin-off in the UK - Robin's Nest.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yes Robbie,I forgot about that! I recall The one armed
waiter! He was the builder in Fawlty Towers! Didn't
Richard O'Sullivan end up with Tessa Wyatt,who was
married to dj Tony Blackburn,he had a bit of a breakdown
on his Radio 1 show after their split.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The USí equivalent to ROBINíS NEST was THREEíS A CROWD, yes?

Iíve never seen MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE or itís spin-offs. Are they
worth checking out?

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Marc Cheek wrote:
All In The Family is the king of spinoffs. And I didn't even remember them all.

And 704 HAUSER.  (The address of the house.)  Starring John Amos.

And, technically, LOVE AMERICAN STYLE had 10 shows (including animated shows) that spun out of it.  I say "technically" because HAPPY DAYS spun out of LOVE AMERICAN STYLE and 7 of those shows spun out of HAPPY DAYS. 

Edited by Kevin Brown on 24 October 2017 at 8:42pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Three`s A Crowd was the equivalent of Man About The
House Eric.George and Mildred was the equivalent of The
Ropers,and Robin`s Nest as far as i`m aware had no U.S.
equivalent.It was Robin Tripp(Tripper in the U.S.?)
setting up his own Bistro.I have seen the odd episode of
Man About The House since,it was ok,but very much a 70`s
bawdy,Carry-On/Benny Hill type humour.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 2:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Three's A Crowd" was the U.S. version of "Robin's Nest". The original US adaptation of "Man About the House" was "Three's Company".
The main character's name in the American shows was "Jack Tripper", played by John Ritter.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 4:37am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And 704 HAUSER. (The address of the house.) Starring John Amos

I completely forgot about that one. Though I don't think I ever watched one of the few episodes that aired.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The current One Day at a Time seems to build upon the 704 Hauser model. As near as I can tell, the only real connections to the original show are the apartment itself, which looks to be the original with a new family now living in it, and the name of the superintendent. I've only watched a couple of episodes, so I don't know if any connection has been established between this Schneider and Pat Harrington's. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Kevin Brown wrote: "And, technically, LOVE AMERICAN STYLE had 10 shows (including animated shows) that spun out of it.  I say "technically" because HAPPY DAYS spun out of LOVE AMERICAN STYLE and 7 of those shows spun out of HAPPY DAYS."

Remember when Fonzie and the gang all tooled around in a cool time machine/flying saucer and there was this talking dog named Mr. Cool that wore a leather jacket and gave the "thumbs up" sign...? Ye-ahh... I try not to, either...

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The M*A*S*H spinoffs are a little confusing.

AFTER M*A*S*H and WALTER are the two official spinoffs.

TRAPPER JOHN M.D. is a sequel to the Robert Altman M*A*S*H film due to rights disputes. TJMD ran somewhat concurrently to the M*A*S*H TV series.

Speaking of more shows in the ALL IN THE FAMILY mileau, you've got the Jeffersons cameo on FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR.  Technically a joke, but significant -- what's considered a spinoff and what's considered a crossover have been pretty blurred in the last decade or two.   Consider the 'stacking' that NBC used to do on their Thursday night lineup -- eg. one character causing a blackout in NYC spilling over into the subsequent shows that evening.

BARNEY MILLER only generated one spinoff -- FISH, perhaps proving that you shouldn't break up ensemble casts that work well together.   Incidentally, they include the first season of FISH in the complete BM DVD set.

I'm surprised at the considerable debate over whether THE PRISONSER is a sequel to DANGER MAN (I fall into the "yes" camp, btw).   There's at least one crossover character between the two shows and that character recognizes both Drake and #6.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Technically a joke, but significant -- what's considered a spinoff and what's considered a crossover have been pretty blurred in the last decade or two.   Consider the 'stacking' that NBC used to do on their Thursday night lineup -- eg. one character causing a blackout in NYC spilling over into the subsequent shows that evening.

-------------------------------------------

The 'Tommy Westphall' Universe theory.

https://thetommywestphall.wordpress.com/the-master-list/

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Mork and Mindy wasn't the only successful show spun off from Happy Days. There was Laverne & Shirley.

There were failure as well, like Joanie Loves Chachi.

Does anyone remember Mancuso FBI? For some reason it stuck in my head, despite only having one season. It was a spin-off from a TVM called Favorite Son.  

Edited by Peter Martin on 25 October 2017 at 9:42am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I'm surprised at the considerable debate over whether THE PRISONSER is a sequel to DANGER MAN (I fall into the "yes" camp, btw).   There's at least one crossover character between the two shows and that character recognizes both Drake and #6.

I've not seen DANGER MAN. Please tell me the episode. :)

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Sorry, but The Prisoner was no spin-off from Danger Man (Secret Agent in the States). Who says so? Patrick McGoohan, and he should know.

Now, Drake-ites will tell you that the only reason the character McGoohan played in The Prisoner was called Number Six (rather than John Drake) was so as to avoid paying royalties to Danger Man creator Ralph Smart. It's an interesting theory but one that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Maybe if Danger Man had been cancelled, but it wasn't. Filming had just completed on two colour episodes when McGoohan walked away from Danger Man because he was tired of playing John Drake (much to the horror of ITC supremo, Lew Grade). The last thing McGoohan wanted his new show to be was The Further Adventures of John Drake.

Of course it doesn't help that Drake and pre-resignation Number Six shared the same occupation. But then McGoohan played spies in the movie Ice Station Zebra and in an episode of Columbo. Are we to believe they were ALL the same character? (Perhaps Braveheart was really about John Drake's adventures as a time traveller?)

"Ah," say the Drake-ites, "what about The Girl Who Was Death?"

Towards the end of The Prisoner's run, script editor George Markstein (who cameoed as the guy behind the desk in the opening credits who Number Six hands his letter of resignation to) had a falling out with McGoohan and quit the series. With a lack of scripts to use for the last few remaining episodes, it is claimed that an un-used Danger Man script was adapted for The Prisoner, with Number Six telling a fairy tale to some Village kids. Thus we have actor Christopher Benjamin playing a character called Potter in both shows, something that excites the Drake-ites no end (although, when interviewed, Benjamin said that he was not told they were the same character and he played them very differently).

If that's not enough to convince you then try watching the two series back to back. When you do it's hard to reconcile Danger Man and The Prisoner as being in the same universe. Danger Man played things pretty straight while The Prisoner's world included killer balloons, dopplegangers and mind-swapping machines. Drake and Number Six might have shared the same face but they were not the same character.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

...and a can of worms was thusly opened.  :-)

The last thing McGoohan wanted his new show to be was The Further Adventures of John Drake.

Yep.  McGoohan has gone on record saying this but I think there's also a bit of revisionist history on his part.   The new show was his baby but at the time he also capitalized on his recognition with the TV viewing public.  The 'hook' for THE PRISONER was McGoohan playing a spy (though a soon to be ex-spy) and gained a ready-made audience from DANGER MAN.   McGoohan has also gone on record saying that he had conceived of THE PRISONER as a 17-part story and it was always intended to be that way -- revisionism bordering on George Lucas levels.   McGoohan also seemed quite determined to convey the show was his singular vision after it went off the air, yet a number of people who worked on the production claim it was common knowledge among the cast and crew that THE PRISONER represented a change of gears for DANGER MAN rather than a wholly new show.  

Who to believe?   The ambiguities and layers presented in THE PRISONER force the audience to form their own opinions about it's relationship to DANGER MAN -- and for me at least that's part of the magic that makes THE PRISONER such a groundbreaking show.  It has a lot to say about viewers and fans relationship to their entertainment, and how that relationship can be twisted to exploit the audience -- sometimes without them being aware.   'Fake News' is far from a recent invention.

But then McGoohan played spies in the movie Ice Station Zebra and in an episode of Columbo. Are we to believe they were ALL the same character? (Perhaps Braveheart was really about John Drake's adventures as a time traveller?)

Well, that's just getting silly now.  You didn't need that hyperbole to get your point across.

Let's take another example.   How about David Callan and Robert McCall?   Two quite similar characters played by Edward Woodward.   THE EQUALIZER got a lot of mileage out of skirting the edge of ambiguity -- and while the staff of that show made it quite clear outside the show they were not the same character they also knew that people familiar with CALLAN were likely to tune in to check it out for themselves.  There's enough clues left that it could be argued either way.  Woodward went on to play yet another very Callan-esque character in LA FEMME NIKITA -- some might call it typecasting and others might say the character of David Callan leaves strong spiritual echoes.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Does anyone remember Mancuso FBI? For some reason it stuck in my head, despite only having one season. It was a spin-off from a TVM called Favorite Son.  

There are a few TV shows that are spin-offs or continuations of TV movies -- most of them not originally intended to be television series pilots.

Off the top of my head there's:

CYBORG/THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN 
THE NIGHT STALKER/KOLCHAK

Both of which had multiple TV movies before they became TV series.

I always wondered if they were deliberately trying to force the multiple TV movies to series model with the 70's CAPTAIN AMERICA films.

Someone mentioned THE LONE GUNMEN being concluded in later episodes of THE X-FILES -- they also concluded MILLENNIUM in X-FILES in a similar way even though MILLENNIUM was originally not supposed to take place in the same fictional universe as THE X-FILES.  I'm surprised they didn't attempt to cap off HARSH REALM in X-FILES as well.   Chris Carter has said that he wanted Darren McGavin to appear as Kolchak in X-FILES but they could not get the rights to the character, so McGavin played a different character.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 25 October 2017 at 10:07pm

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The Simpsons is certainly the most successful spinoff ever.

Emergency! and Adam 12 are considered spin-offs of Dragnet. The Adam-12 officers appeared in the Emergency! pilot, but the characters did not debut on Adam-12. The 3 shows share the same universe. There was a "backdoor pilot" on Emergency! about animal control officers starring Mark Harmon, but the series wasn't picked up.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 3:14am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

McGoohan has gone on record saying this but I think there's also a bit of revisionist history on his part.

Oh, there's no doubt that McGoohan had a tendency to alter the facts after the event (later he would claim that the original intention was for The Prisoner to be a mini-series of only seven episodes - which is nonsense, but still gets some fans in a tizzy trying to work out which stories are the 'important' seven). However, right from the get-go, McGoohan made it clear Number Six was not John Drake. For example, speaking to TV Times magazine in 1967: "But," he says emphatically, "there is no connection with Danger Man. You are not going to see a follow up to that series."

Well, that's just getting silly now.  You didn't need that hyperbole to get your point across.

Yes...and no. I was making a valid point in what was intended to be a mildly humorous way. To be honest I think that was less objectionable than throwing the words 'fake news' in someone's face, but that just me.

The point to remember is Danger Man wasn't cancelled. Patrick McGoohan walked away from John Drake. He didn't need to. If had wanted to go on playing that role then Lew Grade would have been more than happy to go on funding, filming and flogging the episodes to the States. Patrick McGoohan wanted to go his own way - and he did - magnificently.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Well, now we've drifted into two different directions from the original post, one where we're talking about possible/non-official spin-offs, but also spin-offs that are fairly well known. LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY being spun-off HAPPY DAYS is not likely one that anybody who's heard of either series is unaware of. Both were very successful shows.

What's next, that little known gem, FRASIER?

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 26 October 2017 at 12:44pm

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

FRESH PRINCE OF BEL-AIR also used Arnold and Mr. rummond from DIFF'RENT STROKES in a final-episode cameo.

As for M*A*S*H., most people don't remember the 'WALTER' spinoff, because it was a pilot that only aired once...and not even on the West Coast. Those who do remember it, would like to forget it.

The definition of 'spinoff'...the 'backdoor pilot' method has been done a lot (character apperas once on established show, maybe once more, then gets own series, and connection to established show is forgotten ASAP).
But I prefer the 'regular supporting character graduates to starring role of own series' approach

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Maybe this should be another thread, but how about series that get retooled to the point where they basically are a completely different show --  aka, it might as well be a spinoff!

My prime example of this is the pitiful final season of WELCOME BACK, KOTTER in which both the titular character and it's breakout star are mostly absent.  Kaplan had disputes with the producers and eventually broke his contract.  Travolta was getting to be a big star but stuck to his contract and when he did appear he was given special guest star billing.  We even got a backdoor pilot for an Arnold Horshack series that never materialized in case you forgot the series was in it's death throes.

... and to bring this back to the "unknown spinoffs" topic we have KOTTER's one and only spinoff, MR T AND TINA starring Pat Morita that lasted a whole month before ABC pulled the plug.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

How about Gomer Pyle: USMC ( 1967-1968)

ó

It's hard to believe that show created so many memorable episodes in such a
short period of time.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I'm not sure if MR T AND TINA was a spinoff of KOTTER. I think the episode of KOTTER Morita appeared in aired early in the season, just after TINA had made its debut. Since both shows shared the same producer(James Komack) and writers, it was an easy call to make, although it obviously did not make TINA a success. 

HELLO, LARRY, which debuted in early 1979, got similar treatment shortly after it began. Because it followed the then-new breakout hit DIFF'RENT STROKES, on the schedule, and in spite of the fact that each show had different production teams, execs at the then-last place network(NBC) decided to treat LARRY as if it were a spinoff of STROKES, a bit of a 'sitcom retcon'. And so, throughout the two seasons LARRY remaine on the schedule, the casts of both shows visited each other several times, including 'crossover' stories in which part 1 on STROKES was followed immediately by LARRY wrapping up the story.
Larry and Phil.Drummond just happened to be old Army buddies, and Drummond just happened to buy the radio station Larry worked for.
All this cross-promotion actually helped LARRY last more than that first half-season, although NBC's ratings were so bad aside from STROKES, they needed to renew something, so 'Larry' was it.
Both shows opened their second seasons with another crossover episode...and then Larry and family visited the Drummonds for a single episode of STROKES...but shortly thereafter, LARRY was cancelled, and Phil's best buddy ceased to exist.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 28 October 2017 at 12:14pm

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |