Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Disney/21st Century Fox Deal Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So..... the FF can show up in Avengers 4 to save the day?
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Matthew - DON'T TEASE!

Bad enough that I'm dreaming of Johnny Storm and Peter Parker hanging out together. Or the ultimate, that EVERYONE wants to see - the Hulk vs the Thing.

Hell, for that latter, I think it's sufficient reason for another Hulk movie.

As for how the FF get into the MCU - the aftermath of the Infinity War. Who cares about the origin AGAIN? Let's hit the ground running! A full fledged Fantastic Four movie with ALL story and enough history to establish the characters - but not repeating enough dreck to bog down the tale.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm confused. I thought the deal was already sealed months ago. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nope.  Comcast came in this spring with an all-cash bid higher than Disney's offer late last year, which was mostly stock.  Disney came back just today with a combo cash-stock bid that was higher than Comcast.  Shareholders were always going to vote on it in July, so no bid is final until then.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The delay with the deal was due to everyone waiting to see what the result of the regulatory decision would be for the AT&T/Warner Bros. merger. If they had decided not to allow that merger to go through, the door would have been closed for a Fox buyout. However, since the AT&T/WB deal was finally approved, the path is clear for them to move forward. Now it's just a matter of deciding which bid to accept.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

AT&T/Warner is a vertical merger, in the same way that Comcast/Fox would be, merging distribution with content. Fox/Disney is a horizontal merger and has never had any real worries from an anti-trust regulatory angle (which is why Fox turned down Comcast's original offer, even though it was for more money than Disney's original offer).

The vote in July was intended to be on the previous Disney offer and that has now been postponed, so I've know idea when this will all be decided.

I won't be too surprised if Comcast come back with another offer, but...

Regardless of the AT&T/Warners case, a deal with Comcast would still face closer scrutiny by regulators than a deal with Disney. There might be more confidence that the DoJ would struggle to successfully win a case blocking the deal, but there are issues to be considered by Fox of how much cost and time might be lost in trawling through the courts, when they have a perfectly good deal with Disney on hand.

Edited by Peter Martin on 20 June 2018 at 9:55pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 27 July 2018 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Disney and Fox shareholders approve blockbuster $71-billion deal

The lightning-quick approval caps Murdoch’s decision in December to accept Disney’s $52-billion bid for Fox’s television and movie studio, cable television channels FX and National Geographic, Fox’s stake in streaming service Hulu, television operations in India and Fox’s 39% stake in London-based pay-TV company Sky.

But Murdoch has Comcast Chairman and Chief Executive Brian Roberts to thank for a more lucrative price. In early June, Comcast made its own $65-billion offer for the same Fox assets, which forced Iger to pony up $19 billion more than Disney’s initial bid to claim the prize.

The sale isn’t expected to be finalized until next year. Although the transaction has already received the blessing of President Trump’s Justice Department, the two companies still must obtain regulatory approvals from governments around the globe. Disney also has agreed to divest Fox’s 22 regional sports networks, including Prime Ticket and Fox Sports West in Los Angeles.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2018 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If the deal is in place now, ratified by the shareholder vote, then there's nothing to prevent a post-credits teaser or headline on a newspaper asking WHAT ARE 'MUTANTS'? or WHERE IS THE FANTASTIC FOUR?

In fact, I expect some kind of teaser like that will be added in now.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2018 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I wouldn't be surprised if "Phase 4" from Marvel Studios included the Fantastic Four or X-Men at some point, although I suspect the beginning of Phase 4 is already planned out.

Back to Top profile | search | www

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2018 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Coming Soon(?) to a Big Screen Near You:

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2018 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Nice art but the dialogue is... yeesh!

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2018 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

With Disney having the X-Men, I'm excited that someday we might see a good X-Men vs Alpha Flight movie.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |