Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: What Films Would Make Good TV Shows? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

With LOTR being adapted for TV, and with news that there may be a THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT series, it made me reflect on the fact that although it's not a long list, quite a few TV shows were "spawned" from movie franchises.

What movie franchise, from any era, would you like to see turned into a TV show?

Pick three only, please. No ties, no honourable mentions, no contrivances. Feel free to comment on other people's choices, but pick three for yourself. Like I said, any era.

My three are:

JAMES BOND
A FEW GOOD MEN
GHOSTBUSTERS

As a kid, I would have loved to have seen a weekly Bond series in addition to a film every few years.

I'd have liked to have seen a TV series based after the events of A FEW GOOD MEN, following naval lawyer Lt. Kaffee (Tom Cruise) prosecuting many other cases. 

And although there was a Ghostbusters cartoon, called THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS, I'd have enjoyed seeing Bill Murray, Dan Akyroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson reprise their roles for a season or two.

Over to you.
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've said a few times here the X-MEN (Claremont/JB era) would play out much better as a TV series. My other two picks would be:

SPIDER-MAN - modern Lee/Romita era storylines.

And this - a detective/action series with BATMAN. Solo. No sidekicks unless it's a particular storyline. Keep it dark but no a Nolan style approach. Closer to Dennis O'Neil/Neal Adams approach in storytelling.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, most comic series would work better as tv shows. Then you wouldn't have to show/kill off the beat super villains on their first showing.

I came up with one almost immediately;

BUCKAROO BANZAI (I would keep the title simple)- I'd be in for some 1 hour adventures. Not necessarily needing the full cast of characters each episode, have a few recurring members rotate in and out.

I'll think of a couple more later.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't mean to criticize your choices, Charles (they are good), but was thinking more of TV shows adapted from film franchises. But thanks for the input, anyway.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'll tell you one that would - Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Great premise but a little wanting in the execution. Maybe if they let Whedon have free reign we might get, what, three good seasons out of it while she remains at high school?

What?

Oh, OK, I'm not funny am I?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

James, I found it funny. :)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I liked it, James! I was thinking about proposing Charlie's Angels... Those Drew Barrymore inspired archetypes, kicking butt and taking names... How could it miss? That or maybe the classic Owen Wilson/Ben Stiller comedy, Starsky and Hutch. Play it straight, and you might have something there... The Dukes of Hazzard, maybe? That could work. All of them seem a little redundant after your suggestion, though... :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 14 November 2017 at 11:10am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As for actual suggestions, how about...

EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY (1988)- The misadventures of a leggy, bikini-clad beautician and her three, wacky, multi-colored alien pals who've crash-landed their spaceship in her swimming pool. Can love blossom between a California Girl and a guy from the Large Magellanic Cloud?

INTO THE NIGHT (1985)- Ed Okin can't sleep. So he's up, every night, driving around, trying to get his mind off his problems, and in the process, coming across a constant stream of new ones. Gangland slayings, crimes in progress, victims in constant need of rescue... Is it the crummy city he's living in or just Ed's luck that he can't get away from all this? Like the Fugitive, but for insomniacs. 

THE FIFTH ELEMENT (1997)- After the events of the motion picture, cab driver and former Special Forces Major Korben Dallas still can't catch a break. Yes, he's now the special friend of the most sought-after and gifted woman in all the cosmos, but that brings problems with it as well. And his former bosses can't seem to get through a case without involuntarily re-activating his commission and sending him somewhere in the galaxy to go fix something.  Sometimes, even when you win, you Leeloo-se... 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That Mark Wahlberg movie coming out next year would make a great TV show. He plays this guy named 'Steve' who has 'bionic powers', and to give them to him,they had to spend six billion dollars, man....

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jack Reacher would make a decent TV series, I think. Plenty of source novels and short stories and the format of the loner wandering around the US (and occasionally further afield) to investigate a new suspicious case would suit a TV show. The Cruiser doesn't do TV, so they could cast someone who is actually tall.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

SKY HIGH would make a great show.  I'm somewhat surprised that Disney never did one nor did they do a sequel to the movie!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm going to assume a fairly generous budget and reasonably good actors, etc. for these.

The Matrix - I think seeing the ongoing battle between Zion and the Agents might be interesting.

Everybody Goes to Rick's - A series based on the actions at the end of "Casablanca." Who doesn't love a good resistance team fighting the Nazis?

Hancock - A super hero show with a bad attitude super hero. There were some nice elements in that movie, along with a reluctant super hero. I'm not interested in redemption, or seeing Hancock grow into a Superman-ish hero. Somebody who's grumpy and dingy, but is still a super hero.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Eric, there were 5 episodes of CASABLANCA, starring David Soul as Rick Blaine.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

CASABLANCA was also a short-lived series on ABC in 1955, alternatingi n the time slot  with a western series that proved to be far more popular, CHEYENNE.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Is the bionic man film coming out next year? And has it moved from the premise that $6 million wouldn’t buy you squat now so he keeps breaking down?

Man, the number of good tv shows destroyed by those clever folks in movies.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Here's one I've had in my head for DECADES: Back to the Future, with the idea being that the series is just week after week of Marty stuck in the 50's with him and Doc Brown trying to figure out how to get him back.

I came up with it at a family lunch, and my sister told me it would be nauseating to watch.  I think she may be right...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

James Woodcock:
Is the bionic man film coming out next year? And has it moved from the premise that $6 million wouldn’t buy you squat now so he keeps breaking down?
Man, the number of good tv shows destroyed by those clever folks in movies.

At last report it is coming out next year, bu =t I haven't heard an exact date.
The premise out mention sounds like one that was kicked around when this project was first rumored about 20 years ago.(The Kevin Smith directed/Jimmy Carrey in the lead comedy version). In the current version, Steve's bionics cost 6 billion dollars. Even that might be on the cheap side.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 14 November 2017 at 4:16pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Thanks Brian

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Tim and Brian - thanks for letting me know. So then... I was... right? :D :D :D

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Well, it was a TV show twice for 15 episodes total between them, but, from what I remember and have read, it was not good either time.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2017 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

CLIFF HANGER - never tire of watching this guilty pleasure so would love episodes of it every week!

DONNIE DARKO - the soap opera element of this has a real TV feel to it.

THE INCREDIBLES - I know it divides opinion on this board but with so many Disney films getting the TV series treatment, this would work just as well. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I know these were books first, but I would love to see TV shows with the sensibilities of the main movie versions of:

PHILIP MARLOWE (I never saw the Powers Boothe version, but I would like to, BUT also wouldn't mind an updated version)
BATMAN (a one-hour drama utilizing the best of the Nolan, Burton, and, yes, Adam West versions)
WIZARD OF OZ (long form adaptation of all the books--aimed at kids! not some weird psycho-sexual adult version like last year)

Edited by Eric Jansen on 16 November 2017 at 3:45am

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 4:09am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I know it's already been done, but I wouldn't mind someone taking another shot at a Planet of the Apes TV series. Something closer to the original movie than the '70s TV series or the modern CGI efforts (ten years or so before Talor's arrival, maybe?).

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

My three picks:

ANIMAL HOUSE
FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH
BLUE THUNDER

'-)

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 16 November 2017 at 10:57pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2017 at 11:13pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

What, Rob? No "FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF?" Maybe with a name change or something if we can't land the rights... Change it to something innocuous, like, I dunno... "Parker Lewis" or something...? I mean, it can't lose, right?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |