Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Bookstore Comic Book Display Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2019 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This thread puts in mind something to which I’ve given no previous thought: how did the various publishers deal with the end of the War? That issue of CAPTAIN AMERICA has an August cover date, which means it probably came out in May. And the books themselves were probably put together starting four or five months before that.

When did comic characters stop fighting the War?

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2019 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I bet a number of stories set during the war got scrapped, or reworked because it ended.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2020 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Jason Czeskleba reminded me when he posted in this thread --LINK-- If anybody can figure out the rest of the magazines and comics in the picture that we haven't already identified, I am still looking to complete the "puzzle" as much as possible. Please share images of any comics/mags you can idenitify. Thanks!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2020 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Over at the CGC boards, I have shared the Readmore photo with the found titles we located and were posting here, to see if I could recruit some help finding the rest (or at least as many as possible) of the books pictured.

Here is the LINK to the thread there.

Some board members there have found quite a few more, too! Yayy!!!

Here is an updated picture of what's been found:

I also uploading all the covers of the titles found so far to an album:

If anyone here still wants to help complete this "puzzle," please feel free to do so and share the pictures of any titles you discover so I can add it to the Readmore display photo.

Thanks!

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2020 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A few decades before my time, but I can literally smell the newsprint. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2020 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Several more color versions of the titles have been added onto the photo:

I'm surprised at how many titles have been identified and pictures of the covers located online. Thanks so far to everyone here and over at the CGC boards who have done such a great job in hunting down the pictures.

I am hoping, as difficult as it might be, that the comic book covers in the back of the displays, which haven't already been found, can somehow be identified. There's only a sliver of some of those titles to work with, but some have been found already, so I maintain some hope that all, or nearly all can be completed.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2020 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Matt, how do you turn the black and white into color for the individual books?  Is it a difficult process?
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2020 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Phil, yes. LOL!

The photo is not actually colored, but rather I import and place a color image of the title over the black and white version. To do this, I take each color cover that has been found online and open it in Photoshop, where I place it on a layer above the original Readmore book display photo, I then resize, twist, distort, warp, or whatever to get it to fit the same space as it's counterpart in the original photo.

It can be a process! I play with the opacity of the top layer sometimes to make sure images sync up as much as I can. It's not really possible to perfectly fit the required spot, but I try. I don't want to really manipulate an image too much in getting it to fit, either, as each edit affects the resolution of the graphic.

It is truly a labor of love. Heh.

BTW, the fellas over at the CGC board have been great this past week at helping me locate many more of the covers! Here's an updated version of the display photo:

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2021 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, it's been over a year now since I last was able to update the Readmore book display. Here was the last updated image:

I don't know if anyone is still game to try and ID any of the remaining covers in black and white, but if so I'd appreciate any help. I'm personally at a standstill, but have occasionally returned to the photo to see if something has popped up online to fill a gap, so to speak.

If you do decide to search out any of the remaining covers, remember, they range in date from June to early September, 1945 (mostly July-August cover dates).

Thanks once again for everyone who has helped in the past with this project.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There is that Spiritman #2 which is dated as 1944, but perhaps this photo might correct that info? It's funny it's right behind the Spirit. A very informative photo!

I can identify one b&w Love pulp as 'Gay Love Stories' Vol. 3, #5, August 1945. But there's no image online that I can find. There's also a Wynn's Astrology magazine I also can't find the specific issue cover online. It says 'Predictions' inside the sun image.

The Fall 1945 Cheers! cartoons or gags comic #12 is/was on Etsy here:

https://i.etsystatic.com/12047926/r/il/c34345/2992087617/il_ 340x270.2992087617_n9mt.jpg

I had one comic shown, the Captain Marvel Adventures #47, which was a particularly great issue. There is the odd case where I had the issue before or after one shown... I know I had the Famous Fantastic Mysteries pulp right after the one shown. I did have a fair number of 1945 books, mostly the latter half of the year in date, while 1944... I can only ever recall having had one comic! This photo is almost the dividing line for when stuff stopped getting taken away in war paper drives, so roughly speaking comics dated this month and before were destroyed in greater numbers than what was dated the last three months of 1945.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 19 October 2021 at 1:43pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Rebecca,  thank you for the help and info!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Rebecca, about the "Spiritman" #2: The series only had two issues, and it's definitely wasn't the cover to the first issue, as the cover elements didn't match up. I looked at comics.org and found this info on the issue:

"No publisher of any type listed. No indicia information.

The 1944 date is from the stories reprinted. There is a known newsstand picture in which the comic is seen on the newsstand with other comics that have known on-sale dates from March through July 1945, with most from June 1945, including The Spirit (Quality Comics, 1944 series) #[2] (1945). The picture is used to give the approximate publication date of circa June or July 1945.
"

[NOTE: I wonder when that entry was updated, as it sounds like it could actually be referring to the photo I shared! LOL! -- Matt]

"...Promotional comic for Triangle Sales Co. like issue #1 or perhaps a surrogate publisher publication released to make use of a Second World War paper restriction allotment otherwise not being used?"

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |