Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Comics’ New Universe Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Robbie, 
I'd have to clear it with my wife and daughter first! The less is more approach is why I tried the Aftermath comics. I believe there were only 4 titles.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Having only seen Star Brand in Quasar and in Exiles, it seemed that - like Quasar - the Star Brand was Green Lantern. And wasn't that already done? And what could happen outside your window that needed Green Lantern?

David M. - Star Brand - generic paper towels. Star Comics - Thundercats, Heathcliff, Star Wars, Spider-Ham, Masters of the Universe, etc. Looks like the Star brand was bigger than the Star Brand! ;)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's a personal thing, but there's a cab company in my city called Star Cars (often shortened to Star, the operator simply says "Star" when you ring).

So Star is a cab company as far as I am concerned. ;-) 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Star Brandin', 'cross the New Universe, sales trending downward, no way to reverse.

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Like many posters in this thread, I enjoyed the consistently readable DP7 the most.  I also liked Jim Shooter and JRJR's issues of Star Brand (and Jeff Parker and Javier Pulido's excellent deconstruction of it in 2006's Adventures in the Mulletverse), and Sandy Plunkett's beautiful covers.

I came across a CBR article, which suggested reasons for the line's failure, and contains some stuff I was unaware of, such as Speedball and Peter B Gillis's Strikeforce: Morituri having originally been intended for the New U, and Shooter having forced Tom De Falco to change his Challengers of the Unknown-style proposal, Mr Magnificent and the Team Supreme, into a sports story, the execrable Kickers Inc.

Can anyone confirm whether the character Shooter (Vincent Sahno) in the War was based on Jim?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brian O'Neill, I see what you did there.  ;-)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The house ad was terrific. One of the all-time great teaser ads in comics:

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As a kid who had just recently gotten into comic books at the time, through Marvel's G.I. Joe and Transformers, when it came time to branch out into other stuff, there was no way in a million years I was going to pick up a comic about someone in street clothes doing "real world" superheroics when I had three monthly Spider-Man books on the rack next to it. Captain America and Daredevil weren't a hard sell, but Nightmask, Merc, and Kickers, Inc. were.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yes, Andrew, that house ad is great. 

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Colin mentioned Strikeforce: Morituri and it shows how experimental Marvel was with non-superhero comics. Larry Hama's Nth Man was another weird book that I liked. Marvel talks diversity in their line nowadays but once again, Marvel was doing more 30 years ago as a natural progression in their publishing line than they claim to these days.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I liked the New Universe and collected most of the titles. Gullible, I believed Shooter's Bullpen Bulletins promise that it was the ground floor to a really cool new world. As it turned out, the "NU" was only the first of many attempts by Shooter at comic book universes. Like the NU, Valiant, Defiant, and a third one (I forgot the name) featured stories a downbeat, almost hard-edged style. Ironically, the one universe that survived, Valiant, is published by a company that would prefer not to mention Shooter in their current books. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I will say this: I'd really like to revisit "New Universe" (perhaps eBay can help) before passing judgement. I suspect some will NOT live up to the nostalgia.

That said, judged from a 2017 perspective, I would rather a comic company tried to do something new, no matter how unappealing it may be to some, than give us another Spider-book or 2-3 Justice League books.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |