Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: A Change Of Theme Tune Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Brian Floyd,

Yes, MONK's first season had an instrumental theme, which won the 2003 Emmy for Best Main Title Music. Randy Newman's "It's a Jungle Out There" started with the second season and won the Emmy in 2004. The Snoop Dogg episode had a rap arrangement of the Newman song. The original theme was often used over the end credits.
Back to Top profile | search

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've noticed this more when shows went onto DVD.  Married with Children changed their theme music from "Love and Marriage" sung by Frank Sinatra on the broadcast to a generic (and crappy) instrumental for the DVDs because they didn't want to pay the Sinatra estate for the rights.  I don't know if this happened on syndication.

This also happened with Petticoat Junction, but that was more for episodes that went into the public domain.  Even here, it only applied to the opening credits and did not affect any music within an episode (usually for bridging scenes).

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I know some music used in the likes of KNIGHT RIDER and AIRWOLF may have been changed. That's no problem for me as the music wasn't integral to the episodes.

But there is a show called MIAMI VICE, where the specific music is integral to the show and the scenes. I will have to Google it, but I hope MIAMI VICE kept all the music originally aired!

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Teen Titans I believe originally had the theme with Japanese vocals only. Later a version in English played. I assume it had the same lyrics.

The Flintstone's "Rise and Shine" was left off of syndication runs, and most people don't know it exists.

I like that the Monkees theme has an album version with a verse not in the TV version, but the TV version had lyrics not on the album version... 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Tom Scott’s theme for Season 2 of STARSKY & HUTCH (“Gotcha”) is
my favorite of all that show’s themes, even the Season 4
rearrangement. The original is just leaner, tighter and funkier. The
second version’s really nice but has an almost leaden quality in
comparison.

Edited by Eric Smearman on 14 December 2017 at 2:40am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brian Floyd wrote:
Music rights are one reason I don't own WKRP IN CINCINNATI on DVD.

You won't find the original musical presentation in syndication or streaming either. We'll never see it as it was originally presented.  Ever. It's a music rights thing, again.  The only way you'll get 90% of what WKRP was is by purchasing the recent Shout Factory DVD release where they got the rights to nearly every song.  There are a few that they just couldn't get, but it's far, FAR superior than the crap Season 1 release the studio put out a decade or more ago with nearly every song replaced. Trust me.  It's goooooood.  

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That scene with Les Nessman doing the “reverse striptease” to
Foreigner’s “Hot-Blooded” is genius. With the generic replacement
music, not so much.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

'Music rights issues' can suck it.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Brian O - perhaps the creators of the songs who would otherwise get royalties don't quite feel that way about their music rights. :)

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, I'm sorry that they didn't get royalties from anywhere else. Oh, wait, they did...that's the part about 'music rights issues' that sucks.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Two oddities from the UK:

Children's long-running show Grange Hill and celebrities doing charades in Give Us A Clue had exactly the same theme tune for years despite being broadcast in the same era, but on different channels. IIRC Give Us A Clue blinked first and changed their theme eventually with Grange Hill doing the same years later.

And, not quite responding the Robbie's original question, but terrible seventies soap opera Crossroads saw their theme tune bizarrely covered by Wings, featured on an early album as a bit of a joke. Crossroads' makers loved it and used it for their closing credits whenever their was something dramatic like a death.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The name of the theme song used by Grange Hill, Give Us A Clue, and various ads since the '70s, is "Chicken Man". Presumably, it was used as stock, or licensed, music, so never really 'belonged' to anyone in particular. I've seen a few episodes of the first series of Grange Hill, and the sing seemed a bit too 'cartoony', even for that show.

Crossroads never aired in the US, so I'd never heard of its theme, or that McCartney/Wings covered it, but I found it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RzwXdST6-I

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Brian O: "Well, I'm sorry that they didn't get royalties from anywhere else. Oh, wait, they did...that's the part about 'music rights issues' that sucks"

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying - you don't think musicians should get paid when their work is used in TV and movies?

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Far from it...but they got royalties from their songs appearing in other formats, even though sometimes, the issue is farmed as though the musicians would be broke due to lack of DVD royalties.
It's just somewhat of a bother for TV fans who don't particularly have an opinion one way or another, that the choices are often 'This music-heavy TV show can't be released', or 'Well, here it is, but we've replaced the original music with generic crap'. In cases of shows like 'Wonder Years' and 'WKRP', music drove a lot of the best moments on those shows.

It took a long time for Carol Burnett to get at least partial clearance for music numbers to be restored to her old variety show for DVD releases(of certain episodes).

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I wonder if the music from the Big Bang Theory done by the Bare Naked Ladies (A Canadian Rock Group) was a commission piece done especially for the show.  The group has done the song in live shows, but only after the show debuted.  As such, the group wouldn't get royalties from the song, but they're able to use it elsewhere.

Anyone know about this?

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The song was written for the show, at Chuck Lorre's request, after attending a concert in which the band's singer, Ed Robertson, had remarked that he'd just finished reading a book called 'Big Bang', about the study of the formation of the universe. Robertson then did some 'freestyle' riffing of lyrics related to the 'Big Bang' topic.
The song was fleshed out, with a longer instrumental track, for commercial release around the time the TV show debuted, initially as 'The History of Everything', but it was soon retitled to emphasize the TV show connection.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 15 December 2017 at 3:38pm

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Land of the Giants changed it's theme for the second season. For me, one of the rare occasions where a theme changed and I liked both versions equally.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The horn section in the  first 'Giants' theme sounds reminiscent of the original 'Lost in Space' theme. The second has a more 'original' sound.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Discovered today that long running UK sit com Only Fools and Horses had a completely different theme tune for its first series. Writer and singer of the eventual theme took some time to persuade the producers to use the one that became a mainstay of the programme for its episodes thereafter.  

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Off the top of my head:

BARNEY MILLER changed it's theme after the first season.

C.H.I.P.'s also changed themes after the first season or two

DOCTOR WHO changed it's main theme four times during the classic run, though the original Granger/Derbyshire theme was used for 18 years with minor tweaks.  There's a fifth theme that Delia Derbyshire did on the EMS 'Delaware' synthesizer in the 1970's that was unused but it did air on some Australian showings.

It's probably a better discussion to list which TV shows DIDN'T change their theme tunes during their entire run!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

The original premise was shows that replaced their original theme with a completely different one. 'Lost in Space' fits that category.
 'Doctor Who' and  some other shows mentioned above have all kept the same theme, but changed the arrangement. The 'Barney Miller' theme had changes in its guitar parts, but they didn't switch out for a totally different song.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 02 January 2018 at 3:27am

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Ahhh makes sense.

I'll offer up THE MISADVENTURES OF SHERIFF LOBO then.   The show was almost completely retooled for it's second season and used the song "Georgia On My Mind" for the theme.

Mind you, there are some shows whose severe retooling probably qualifies it as a completely different show altogether -- LOBO and GALACTICA 1980 are two good examples.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Speaking of WKRP, someone back in the day had the lucky foresight to record the show on it's first (or the first repeat) showing -- so there is a <ahem> non-commercial version of the show that has the original music with one or two exceptions that were changed after the first broadcast.

The 'music butchered' versions also in some cases have deleted scenes and/or extended scenes/trims and have other edits.   I don't believe a single cohesive version of the show exists with the rights holder now, as the masters have been trimmed all to hell and I'm not sure the original shooting/editing scripts were retained.   Shout Factory did a bang up job reconstructing the show from the original elements with the music rights they could get though, so it's either watch the show 99% as it originally aired in lesser quality or 90% in DVD quality.   
I'm still waiting for some dedicated fan to combine the two.

WKRP is probably the worst offender but many other shows on DVD/Blu also are incomplete -- most of the time the edited-for-syndication (aka edited-to-add-an-extra-commercial) prints are used, either by accident or the originals-as-aired no longer exist.  

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Regarding the Wings cover of Crossroads...they also did
the theme tune to The Zoo Gang tv show,if i remember
correctly it was the b-side of the Band On The Run
single.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2018 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Only Fools and Horses is a really good one, James. Had no idea the music was different for the first series.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |