Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Alpha Flight Question for JB: Guardian on Ganymede Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Regarding the original story about Guardian's resurrection, even as a kid I recall thinking, "Ganymede? Why Ganymede? Titan from Saturn could have worked better. Besides that, there is no previous record in Marvel indicating life on Ganymede." But I was so excited about Guardian being back I just ignored my B.S. Detector.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

OT: Canadian Whites? Sounds like a controversial sports team from Toronto. Take it from a fan of both the Cleveland Browns and the Cleveland Indians. :)
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As I've noted before, my first encounter with this storyline was when it was recycled so as to actually bring Guardian back to life, later in the series' run. At the time, I thought, "This is terrible!".

Some time later, I bought the last few issues I needed to complete JB's run on ALPHA FLIGHT, read the original version of the storyline, and thought, "This is brilliant!".
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
"I really was surprised when so many fans accepted it at face value."

The thing is, for me, I'm always willing to go along for the ride when John Byrne is driving. Even when the story goes somewhere I don't particularly like.
I agree with what was expressed by Vinny, Steven and Dale, I was glad just to have Guardian back, but I didn't love the explanation and I wasn't happy with Mac being part metal either because I felt bad for him that his body was now 'deformed'. It was kind of a relief to discover those things didn't happen to the 'real' Mac, even though it meant he was in fact dead.

JB always knows how to torture his characters AND his readers. (In a good way)

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Speaking of torturing his characters, don't get me started on what he did to Walter. Or Marrina. Or Shaman and Talisman, or.....

And that's just THIS title. Think about Next Men!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

We always hurt the ones we love!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Or Krypto!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As I've noted before, my first encounter with this storyline was when it was recycled so as to actually bring Guardian back to life, later in the series' run. At the time, I thought, "This is terrible!".

Some time later, I bought the last few issues I needed to complete JB's run on ALPHA FLIGHT, read the original version of the storyline, and thought, "This is brilliant!".

I was completely fooled by JB's Guardian resurrection at the end of his AF run despite him peppering it with red herrings, but for them to use the exact same story when they actually did bring Guardian back years later seemed so ridiculous and unbelievable to me as to be completely ludicrous and illogical. That a made up story to explain Guardian's return by Courtney would actually come to pass? Who thought, "well, that works, that's how we'll actually bring him back."

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have to stress the only thing that threw me off was the life on Ganymede. I figured Reed Richards and other Marvel scientific types would have been aware of them.

The rest of the story was (to my young teenage mind) actually kind of cool, especially the merging of the body with the machinery/tech. I also liked the suggestion that Guardian's suit brought him through the solar system at whacked out speeds relative to Earth's magnetic field. That part actually blew my mind!     
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Have to say, I loved JB's bait and switch bringing Guardian back--and hated when a subsequent writer said "Yup, that's how it happened."

Really. How g******ed stupid. It's about the laziest, dumbest approach one could take.

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It's not exagerated to think that Alpha Flight is one of the most mistreated teams at Marvel.

Edited by David Schmidt on 18 December 2017 at 8:49am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

^I'm with you there. Even the best teams assigned the title after JB were not all that terrific and rarely seemed to understand the characters-- which led to some truly abysmal stories.

At this point, if Marvel ever wanted to bring back the team, I'd recommend doing what JB did with Fantastic Four: ignore all the stupid, useless BS in their past, focus on what you want to do with the characters, and tell the best ALPHA FLIGHT stories you can--not whatever you had in mind for the Avengers or Defenders or X-Men, for God's sake.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 18 December 2017 at 9:13am

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |