Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk
Topic: Should The Olympics Be Held In Multiple Cities? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2018 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I can see some merit in this:

Edited by Robbie Parry on 10 February 2018 at 7:10am
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2018 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Unquestionably, the use of multiple existing venues would be a tremendous cost saver, and that's critical these days. I doubt that a lot of modern cities can afford to host an Olympics in proper fashion any more. 

And the era of media technology has advanced to the point where one host could easily coordinate several global locations to provide a pretty seamless experience.

A few advantages I see...

People could go to the events they want, and probably get in to the ones they want to see a bit easier.

This would provide a splendid showcase of several nations showing off their unique identities.

It would alleviate, at least in a few situations, the case of watching an event that finished ten hours ago and whose results have already been broadcast. I personally like to watch the events as live as possible without knowing who won.

A few drawbacks I see...

Every country would have to have its own Olympic Village.

It would make it impossible for those who want to see two unrelated events, e.g., ski jumping and speed skating.

The IOC might be hard pressed to ensure that multiple venues and events are all performing to the specified rules. I guess they could authorize more officials... but sometimes, it seems that they have difficulties just managing things as they are right now.

How would they decide who is the host country? Or would each country have its own opening and closing ceremony? That might dilute the magic and spectacle of the events.

Part of the idea of the Olympics is countries coming together to meet one another and compete together. Separate locations would make it hard to consider it together. On the other hand, I've never been to an Olympics (let alone been a participant), so I don't know how much that happens now... I mean, do the Israeli speed skaters really get together all that much with the French downhill skiers?

It seems at least worthy of serious discussion. It might ease the burden on countries who just cannot host a full Olympics but want to host anyhow.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Look, Eric, WrestleMania 2 (1986) took place in three venues so we know it's not impossible. ;-)

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2018 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I mean, do the Israeli speed skaters really get together all that much with the French downhill skiers?

My understanding is that the Olympics Village is one big meat market. 

Or is that not what you were asking?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2018 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

All I'm saying is, keep your baguette off my gefilte fish. :)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2018 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

How about some Lutefisk tacos with sauerkraut and miso?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |