Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: Jessica Jones Season 2 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm only a few episodes in, but I'm really enjoying this.  I do find it ironic that the character I care least about in the comics is probably the best Marvel/Netflix show.

I was perplexed however by them including in the "Thanks" section of the credits every episode Chris Claremont and John Byrne, and Frank Miller in the first two episodes too.

Until I realized that the thanks are usually for using characters these people created and Claremont & Byrne created Jeryn Hogarth back in the IRON FIST days...even though the "Jeri Hogarth" here is a tall, sexy, harsh, lesbian lawyer not the comics' short, friendly guy.

And why Miller?  For goodness sake--Frank Simpson is really Nuke!

Edited by Eric Jansen on 23 March 2018 at 9:45am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ah, well! Free money!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Back when I watched season 1 it took me a while to realize that Simpson was a variation of Nuke. Partly because he had a different first name. 

And changing Jeryn Hogarth to Jeri Hogarth doesn't bug me like the "race-swapping" that Marvel Studios does elsewhere. You change a character's gender, you also change the name, you have basically a new character.

I also like the show far more than I liked the ALIAS comic that it's based on.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There's a subtle Stan Lee cameo in Season 2, Episode 10...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2018 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Everybody loves Stan Lee and his cameos, but it sort of bugs me when he does a cameo for the cinematic version of something he didn't create (like DEADPOOL or GUARDIANS).  But then I remember that he wrote PATSY WALKER for a number of years and, since this show is almost 50% Patsy's, I look forward to his cameo!  (In two episodes.  I'm going slow.)

(And, of course, he co-created the X-Men in general and Groot too, so I guess that justifies his cameos in the above-mentioned films too!)

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2018 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If I'm not mistaken, this would be the first time that I've seen Stan "appear" on one of the TV shows...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2018 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I finished watching the second season a few weeks ago but came away a bit disappointed. 

Part of the problem is that, unlike the first season, I didn't think that the show had a good villain for Jessica to take on. Killgrave was a real asshat and you wanted to see him and Jessica face off against one another at the end of season one. The second season just didn't have that kind of vibe to it because of the lack of a good bad guy.

Also, there was way too much focus on Patsy Walker in season 2 and she just wasn't that interesting of a character to keep my attention. Whether it was intentional or not, she came across as being so selfish and stupid that I kept wishing that she would be written out of season 3, when/if it is produced. 

Overall, I liked it more than the first season of IRON FIST. But that isn't saying much. I can only hope that the third season will have more of a spark to it, otherwise I will be moving on.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2018 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The second season just didn't have that kind of vibe to it because of the lack of a good bad guy.

——

I thought that Alisa was one of the more compelling MCU Netflix villains, even more so than Kilgrave. The beginning of season 2 suffered while she was a mystery, but once she was revealed, the season really took off. 

I did think they threw Trish’s character under the bus and made her really unlikable in order to set up her becoming Hellcat. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If I'm not mistaken, this would be the first time that I've seen Stan "appear" on one of the TV shows...

He’s been in all of the Netflix shows so far. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2018 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, I finished season 2 and I enjoyed it very much!  Two caveats though (without specific spoilers)--

It just sort of ended.  There wasn't a big build-up to a fantastic climax like with season 1; the last episode was almost just one more episode.  That's too bad, especially since the setting of the last episode brought to mind the series finale of the original FUGITIVE show--still the best TV finale of all time!

There was a perplexing dichotomy to the Patsy Walker appearances this season.  They spent a lot of screen time on (apparently) building up to her becoming Hellcat--and possibly her own show?!  But they also spent a lot of time making her selfish, weak, and all kinds of immoral and unlikable!  Not the best set-up for making a screen star of this fan-favorite character with a 70-year history.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |