The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Trump Talk Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Agreed.  Said as much upthread.

There were supporters of Nixon, both among Congress as well as the public, who wanted a premature end to that investigation as well.  2.5 years later, Nixon resigned.  

It hasn't even been a year since Mueller was appointed special council and, regular as clockwork, supporters of this president and/or the Republican party in general claim that it's "silly" because no evidence has been made public and no indictments handed down that directly implicates the Trump campaign.  

Absurd.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've been reading the board for a long time now- 7-8 years I think.Probably more. But I never really felt like participating until recently. It's one thing to read, and a much larger step to participate. I'm highly interested in, and read a great deal regarding politics, so I felt like responding to the recent post. 

I do know enough to realize dissenting options aren't welcomed here, which I think is a shame. I know the names of the main participants here, and where they stand. I also respect and read dissenting opinions (respectful, reasonable ones), and hope to learn something by them. Sometimes I do. I'd say that I changed my opinion on gay marriage from reading dissenting opinions, some from this board. Why dissenting opinions are so discouraged here I don't understand. But that's the internet I guess, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. 

Name calling, and nastiness does nothing for me. I see enough of that about Trump here, as I mentioned in my previous post. But I read for months countless posts about Trump provoking North Korea into war. It seems now that the opposite has happened (fingers crossed), and yet there's not a mention, and we're on to the next Trump bashing. 

I agree with Matt's post - let the investigation play out. But to be attacked for me saying there's no evidence, while at the same time going on for a year and a half about how Trump and the Russians stole the election , with no real evidence presented so far, is hypocritical to me. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

EDIT: Never mind.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 22 April 2018 at 3:00pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Paul B. - nice to see you speak up. Always glad to have another point of view.

I don't think I know of anyone with opposing opinions being shunned or shut down. But opinions are just that; and if people are opposed to one you present, they are equally welcome to disagree.

It is easy to mock Trump and his actions and statements. He had lied so often and done so much that seems entirely self-oriented, rather than addressing the desires of the populace, that he is a disgrace to this country - at least, in my opinion. I can detail why further if you wish.

As for what he's done that's good - I have to admit that I'm at a loss to think of very much. You noted that North Korea has stopped manufacturing nuclear weapons, and I don't know if that's true or not. I do know that North Korea has nuclear weapons. I know that compared to the United States, they are gnats. Thus, when the United States president threatens them vehemently and continually, they have only one realistic defense. When the U.S. government says that they WILL be attacked with nuclear weapons, it's hard to imagine any response other than desperate self-defense.

There is a summit coming up between Trump and Un, and recently Trump expressed that he is not 100% committed to attending THAT... or staying to listen if he doesn't like what's said. This is not the basis for diplomatic negotiations. It seems to be two cocks in a barnyard, threatening and puffing out their chests, and the bigger cock appears to be our president.

In addition, we have so very few diplomatic resources to call upon, due to Trump's firing much of the State department, and replacing practically none of them. Further, Trump seems to ignore recommendations and warnings from his staff, and he says what he wishes, whether or not it's contrary to official statements and whether or not it's beneficial or detrimental to the country.

If you have other positive things Trump has done, please point them out. But right now, it seems difficult to recognize them.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I do know enough to realize dissenting options aren't welcomed here, which I think is a shame.

•••

It certainly would be, if it was true.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

You noted that North Korea has stopped manufacturing nuclear weapons

——

To be clear, North Korea has made no statement like this. North Korea has announced a freeze on nuclear /testing/ and are dismantling one of their testing facilities. Because they no longer need it. It’s a move they’ve made before, and stating they no longer need it is not a move toward denuclearization. The US and USSR no longer need nuclear testing either, because they have a mature weapons program.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Paul, to be fair, and these are only three examples, the threads on guns, religion, and movies/TV show the variety of opinions.

We have people of faith here - and people of none. And both religious people (particularly Christians) have expressed views whilst atheists like myself and others have debated them. 

Guns are another one. Most here advocate gun control and have issues with the availability of guns, but I've read posts here from those who are pro-2nd Amendment/pro-guns. No-one has been censored.

The TV/movie threads often show the depth of opinion. From Byrne Robotics FAQ:

We know that JB likes the first SUPERMAN movie from 1978, but what does he think about the various superhero movies that have been released over the years?

JB: SUPERMAN II thru IV sucked with increasing vehemence.

Yet I like 80% of SUPERMAN III. I'm not blind to its faults. Our host's view is clear, but I have never felt that I can't be an advocate for the film. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Paul: I agree with Matt's post - let the investigation play out. But to be attacked for me saying there's no evidence, while at the same time going on for a year and a half about how Trump and the Russians stole the election , with no real evidence presented so far, is hypocritical to me.

Whether Trump and Russia stole the election remains a sticky point to prove, but there is a lot of evidence regarding whether or not they tried-- all of it tending toward Yes, they tried and none of it tending toward no, they didn't.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I heard someone say that Trump was like the appearance
of an oasis in the desert. You are dying of thirst, and
you have two choices, stay where you are and die, or go
to the oasis in the distance. If it is a mirage, you die
- if it is water, you live. If you die you were going to
die anyway.

Edited by Thomas Woods on 22 April 2018 at 7:43pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Matt H - Whether Trump and Russia stole the election remains a sticky point to prove, but there is a lot of evidence regarding whether or not they tried-- all of it tending toward Yes, they tried and none of it tending toward no, they didn't.

Matt, I'd be curious to see the evidence that shows that the campaign was working with Russia, or made serious attempts to work with them. If there is, I'd be interested in reading about it.

Now certainly Trump has ties to Russian businesses (as well as business ties in over 2 dozen other countries). He's been doing business there since the late 80's. And doing business in Russia certainly puts you in contact with Russian government officials. How could it not? Their corrupt government is involved in every area of business there. People seem to view these connections as somehow showing collusion, but there has to be more to it than just that. 

Robbie P. - Paul, to be fair, and these are only three examples, the threads on guns, religion, and movies/TV show the variety of opinions.
Guns are another one. Most here advocate gun control and have issues with the availability of guns, but I've read posts here from those who are pro-2nd Amendment/pro-guns. No-one has been censored.

Robbie, I've read a lot of the religious posts over the years, and frankly there's not a lot of pro-religious views on the list. There are some, but they're generally mocked. As for gun debates, I've read all of those discussions over the years. I'm on the fence regarding the scope of the second amendment, and my feelings on guns in general. But If you think the pro-second amendment, or gun ownership side hasn't been censored over the years, I suggest you re-read some of those threads.I've seen those people shut off more than once. Call it censorship, or something else, but those ideas are often not allowed to be expressed. 

- I do know enough to realize dissenting options aren't welcomed here, which I think is a shame.
JB •••It certainly would be, if it was true.

JB, again I'd suggest you revisit some of the gun discussions that have taken place over the years. Those who disagree have been far from welcomed, and have been discouraged or banned in some cases as I recall.

Michael - North Korea has announced a freeze on nuclear /testing/ and are dismantling one of their testing facilities. Because they no longer need it. It’s a move they’ve made before, and stating they no longer need it is not a move toward denuclearization. The US and USSR no longer need nuclear testing either, because they have a mature weapons program.

Michael, NK has stopped nuclear testing, suspended nuclear missile testing, and stopped launches of ICBMs. Their nuclear program is far from completed or mature. They have a long way to go with their delivery system. How is there any way this can be seen as anything other than positive? Couple that with Kim Jong-un's meetings with South Korean and Chinese officials, and what was once a troubling situation is looking to be ultimately well played by Trump.

Eric- As for what he's (Trump) done that's good - I have to admit that I'm at a loss to think of very much. You noted that North Korea has stopped manufacturing nuclear weapons, and I don't know if that's true or not. I do know that North Korea has nuclear weapons. I know that compared to the United States, they are gnats. Thus, when the United States president threatens them vehemently and continually, they have only one realistic defense. When the U.S. government says that they WILL be attacked with nuclear weapons, it's hard to imagine any response other than desperate self-defense.

Eric, I think that NK has shown that they did have another option other than using their nuclear weapons, and that is to suspend their program. That was the best case scenario, and the one they seem to have chosen. You may not agree with how Trump went about things, but ultimately only the results matter.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As for what he's (Trump) done that's good - I have to
admit that I'm at a loss to think of very much.

+++

Keeping Hillary out of the White House is #1
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB, again I'd suggest you revisit some of the gun discussions that have taken place over the years. Those who disagree have been far from welcomed, and have been discouraged or banned in some cases as I recall.

•••

Your recollection is faulty. No one has ever been banned here simply for expressing a contrary opinion -- not, that is, unless it has become obvious that the individual is not interested in discussion, but only promulgating his screed. That's just tiresome for those of more reasonable inclination.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |