Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Best Hidden Gem? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Great question about the hidden gems.  I guess I like the analogy given of having a visit with you guys in the coffee shop and sharing books that we all individually like, but that we don't ALL like.  So for example, if we all had to sit in a room and agree on the Top 10 Most Important Fantastic Four stories, I don't think FF 11 would make the list.  

And I see a lot of "most influencial" and "comics that changed history" lists online, and these are not those.  To ge honest, I considered myself pretty knowledgable about comics but there are tons on here that I have not read -- they are definitely hidden to me!  

To me this is like a "pitch" meeting -- your chance to brag about an awesome issue that someone else out there may never heard of.  Awesome books so far!!
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That Wildfire issue Ronald and Brian cited is definitely a favorite of mine as well. If I'm not mistaken, the underlying romance story is new to that issue and not a recapitulation of anything written before. That it's woven so well into established events is one of the things that I really like about the issue. 

The weekly meetings I mentioned with my friend have had a theme of "If you only had one issue to give to someone about a character..." for the past few weeks. LSH #283 was on my list, as was Ghost Rider #68 (Thank you, Matthew!) I hadn't thought of Doctor Strange #56, but that's an excellent example! Well done, Greg!

Ronald, I've long had an affinity for "faceless" characters as well. Mine probably began with Dr. Fate, but Wildfire was certainly an early favorite. You really should check out more of the Legion. Paul Levitz and Gerry Conway's runs are very Marvel-flavored, and the mental breakdown Levitz wrote for Brainiac Five presaged Hank Pym's by a good many years*. That storyline culminated in issues #250 and #251 during a period when Wildfire had been elected team leader. He has some good moments in those issues as I recall. If you want to check out more about Wildfire, those might be a good place to start.

The story is a direct follow-up to the previously cited SLSH #239 by Starlin. I don't know that I'd categorize these issues as "hidden," but  I don't see them discussed often, and they are worthwhile, so I'll go ahead and include their covers here as well. 

The interior art on these is by "Steve Apollo," a pseudonym of Jim Starlin's, who expected them to appear in one of DC's tabloid-sized editions and was not happy when the story was slated into the regular run of the book and pages were cut as a result.

* Creating murderous A.I.'s who regard you as their father and go on to become evil arch-enemies will do that to you. (Something else Brainy did before Pym, come to think of it...) 

Edited by Brian Hague on 19 April 2018 at 7:36pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ah yes, the infamous "Steve Apollo" issues!  #239 was such a perfect issue, it's always been a sore spot in my life as a fan that the follow-up was so butchered.  Who the heck has Dave Hunt ink Jim Starlin?!?

I'd always heard the basics of the behind the scenes, but now with the GCD I could investigate a little further.  I see that Starlin's friend Al Milgrom (later to be the fan-favorite editor of MARVEL FANFARE) was the editor on #239, while Jack C. Harris was the editor of #250 & 251.  Obviously, he did not have the same ideas about what makes a good comic and I wonder if he was forced to accept the Starlin follow-up that was probably already in production.

Or, as I hear about movie studios sometimes, a new guy is put in charge and he sometimes sabotages the projects that were put into production by his predecessor.  (Sorry to criticize issues that you like, Brian.  It's just that the whole thing has made me sad for 40 years.)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

As for what's hidden or not: One can hardly say a BATMAN or SPIDER-MAN issue read by 400,000 people was obscure, but now, 40 years later, it's very easy for some of these to be considered "hidden" unless they've been reprinted 20 times like WATCHMEN or THE DARK PHOENIX SAGA.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Eric, the backstage drama is unfortunate, I agree, but I still found the story that wound up being told quite effective back in the day, and I remember the issues fondly still.

No worries on knocking my recommendations. "I am pleased to see that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us." - Surak, father of Vulcan philosophy.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ronald, I've long had an affinity for "faceless" characters as well. Mine probably began with Dr. Fate, but Wildfire was certainly an early favorite.

Dr. Fate! Another faceless favorite. 

You really should check out more of the Legion. Paul Levitz and Gerry Conway's runs are very Marvel-flavored, and the mental breakdown Levitz wrote for Brainiac Five... ...those might be a good place to start...

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I'll put that on the list. 

Roughly 95% of my recent comic book buying has been back issues and collections - I just picked up The Falcon four-issue limited series from 1983 and can't wait to read that. 

I did read the Mark Farmer/Alan Davis two-issue Superboy's Legion and loved it. And there was a fun issue of DC Comics Presents starring Superman and the Legion of Substitute Heroes (fighting Ambush Bug) that was a lot of fun.

Now I'm starting to wonder how I never read LOSH regularly...hm...   

*edited for typos

Edited by Ronald Joseph on 20 April 2018 at 8:54am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And Art Adams' CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON is just an exquisite piece of work.

Seeing Adams' rendition of Julie Adams was probably worth the cost of the issue alone... I can only guess how curvy Art made her look on the page :-) 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

He didn't overdue it!  He actually restrained himself in this one--as far as the women were concerned!  He did draw every scale on the Creature...
: )

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Jim Starlin writes and draws (with some inking by Steve Leialoha if I recall correctly) a tale that has Ghost Rider racing literal Death in the desert.
GCD gives the art credits as "Pencils: Jim Starlin (layouts); Al Milgrom (finished pencils on framing sequence); Steve Leialoha (finished pencils everywhere else). Inks: Jim Starlin; Michael Netzer [as Mike Nasser]; Steve Leialoha"

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Only 1 issue for Demon Hunter by Rich Buckler, Buckler brought back the character as Devil Slayer at Marvel.
Buckler also brought him back as Bloodwing in Galaxia Magazine #1.

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I love that Conan WHAT IF!  Unfortunately, it can't be reprinted by Marvel and I don't think the present license holders will ever reprint it either!  So, that leaves tracking down a back issue for $20 or something.  : (
Marvel has regained the license for Conan the Barbarian, to start again from January 2019, so a reprint is likely.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This one is definitely a "hidden" gem!

A quick rundown:
At an art museum, a crowd of young complainers follow the lead of a pompous art critic who extols the statue of "Our Man"--a sullen-looking, copperish, literally heart-less (there's a hole where his heart should be) statue which represents man's weakness and failure. They all agree that this is the true state of man, while the beautiful nearby statue of "The Unconquered"--a man striving to overcome--is derided. Hugo, in the crowd, is drawn to "Our Man" and later dons an outfit to look like him and seems almost possessed by the spirit of failure and given the power to destroy that which tries to be better--including a hero like the Blue Beetle. Though outmatched in their battle, BB doesn't give up and "Our Man" falls victim to his own negative mindset and is defeated. Ted reveals to his trusted assistant Tracey that he kept going because he kept the heroic image of "The Unconquered" in mind

Edited by Eric Jansen on 20 April 2018 at 6:37pm

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |