Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Trump Wants to Erase “Transgender” Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This is both entirely, cynically political (witness the success in 2004 of riling the base with marriage definition measures in 11 swing states) AND no doubt reflects the actual beliefs of Trump.  A shit sandwich from the shitty sandwich maker, regardless of how you slice it.  The GOP really only need to get a few thousand more people motivated to vote in key districts to carry these things.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 23 October 2018 at 7:37am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There are also a number of conditions that cause humans to be born with fewer than two legs, that doesn't mean humans aren't bipeds.  Tiny biological exceptions don't change the general scientific rule.  Additionally, the vast majority of transgender people are not intersexed, so these cases are irrelevant to the understanding of transgender people.

------

You were making a general statement about biological sex in nature:

QUOTE:
There are only two biological sexes.  I'm not even primarily talking about humans here.  I'm talking about animals.  And plants.  Its how reproduction works.

This does not conform with our current understanding of biology.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, it absolutely does.  No biologist defines humans with Kleinfelter's Syndrome (one of the conditions you're talking about) as a third biological sex.  We're not talking about sea cucumbers, here, we're talking about mammals, which have two biological sexes.  Again, birth abnormalities do not speak to the general characteristics of biological organisms.

And none of this has anything to do with transgender people, as once again, if you did want to take the bizarre step of designating people with Kleinfelter's Syndrome as a third biological sex, that sex would still be genetically defined.  The vast majority of transgender people identify as transgender because their gender identity doesn't match their genetic/biological sex and/or society's constructed gender pertaining to that biology.

I know you understand what I'm saying, so I'll leave it here, since I'm not interested in arguing for internet points.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
Yes, it absolutely does.  No biologist defines humans with Kleinfelter's Syndrome (one of the conditions you're talking about) as a third biological sex.

Of course not. What they /do/ say is that biological sex is more complicated than simply fitting in a binary structure.

QUOTE:
We're not talking about sea cucumbers, here, we're talking about mammals, which have two biological sexes.  Again, birth abnormalities do not speak to the general characteristics of biological organisms.

Sigh. Once again, this is what you wrote:

QUOTE:
There are only two biological sexes.  I'm not even primarily talking about humans here.  I'm talking about animals.  And plants.  Its how reproduction works.

QUOTE:
And none of this has anything to do with transgender people

It does matter in how society tries to apply an imperfect, unscientific understanding of biological sex to an imperfect, unscientific understanding of gender identity.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This applies to the conversation. "up to 80 percent of
Americans are opposed to politically correct thinking
in its current manifestations. Latinos and Asian-
Americans are among the groups most opposed, and even
61 percent of self-professed liberals do not like
political correctness."

https:
//www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-10-
18/elizabeth-warren-dna-response-shows-failure-of-
liberalism?fbclid=IwAR3uRSmOLxN-
dtAvvytvR8YDjiIU6QhHTph00_6cTUYOkwRqlJyRE2dl1Ls

Edited by Thomas Woods on 22 October 2018 at 5:20pm

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Had to separate into 2 posts because 2 links in one post
was giving me trouble

A good video on the study

https://youtu.be/mm1TrY-t0ng

and there is a link to the full study under the video

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Of course not. What they /do/ say is that biological sex is more complicated than simply fitting in a binary structure.
-------------
Okay, I won't assume you understand what I'm saying.  So, if there are more than two biological sexes, what are the gonad structures associated with these other sexes and how do they interact with male and female gonad structures in reproduction?  What glands do these third and fourth sex humans have that biologically male and female humans don't have?

The tiny minority of birth abnormalities you're alluding to, again, are admixtures of male and female biological structures, usually with one or both elements underdeveloped and non-functional.  It is not a third or fourth set of biological structures.  The same is true, by the way, of plants and animals, some of which can change between male and female structures or manifest both, but there are still only male and female reproductive structures, there is no third or fourth set.

Biological sex structures are produced by evolution for the purpose of reproduction, and reproduction is a binary thing, involving male and female gonad structures.  This is basic biology.

And none of this has anything to do with transgender people, because once again, intersexed people and transgender people are, for the most part, not the same people.  And please, spare us all your plaintive sighing.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
So, if there are more than two biological sexes, what are the gonad structures associated with these other sexes and how do they interact with male and female gonad structures in reproduction?  What glands do these third and fourth sex humans have that biologically male and female humans don't have?

Taking the binary format and throwing in a third or fourth or fifth entirely misses the point and is a straw man.

QUOTE:
The tiny minority of birth abnormalities you're alluding to, again, are admixtures of male and female biological structures, usually with one or both elements underdeveloped and non-functional.  It is not a third or fourth set of biological structures.  The same is true, by the way, of plants and animals, some of which can change between male and female structures or manifest both, but there are still only male and female reproductive structures, there is no third or fourth set.

Straaaaaaawman.

QUOTE:
Biological sex structures are produced by evolution for the purpose of reproduction, and reproduction is a binary thing, involving male and female gonad structures.  This is basic biology.

Yes. This is correct. Gonad structures are binary.

Using gonads to define biological sexes, however, results in ambiguity. Using chromosomes to define biological sexes results in ambiguity. Using hormones to define biological sexes results in ambiguity. Using genes to define biological sexes results in ambiguity. Using secondary sexual characteristics to define biological sexes results in ambiguity.

Which is why biologists say that sex is not binary and exists on a spectrum. You act like I'm making all this shit up and it's not the current conversation in the scientific community. Pick up a journal.

QUOTE:
And none of this has anything to do with transgender people

Once again, an imperfect, unscientific understanding of biological sex leads to an imperfect, unscientific understanding of gender identity. I mean, it's the foundation of every claim that transgenderism doesn't exist that I've ever seen. "God made only two sexes..."

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Except this is false. There are a number of intersex conditions that don't fall neatly in the binary XY male/XX female. Even in the animal kingdom. As well as hermaphroditic plants and animals.

I have a question. Is it possible that transgender (and to a lesser extent, homosexuality) a form of intersex?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The bottom line is that there are a lot of people who would like to get rid of all things that make them feel squirmy in their tum-tums--as if that is somehow a valid method of defining right and wrong.

Consenting adults! End of story!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I seem to recall that Bush II did a lot of judgment from gut feelings too. Seems that some Republicans just don't want to think about issues... well, not with their brains at least.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Twice divorced, allegedly adulterous D. Rump is going to lecture us from the moral high ground.

Yup.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |