Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 6
Topic: The Black Hole - Thoughts? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2020 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Maybe I'm blinded by seeing the film through eyes that were contemporary (temporally), but I think the production values have aged well. It's the stinky plot and generally bland characters that sink the film for me.

The mood, the production design and, yes, even the special FX are decent to my mind. The Cygnus and its weirdoid crew are fine. The Palomino and its tastes-like-over-diluted-squash crew are the problem. You just don't care much about them because they are, for the most part, cut from cardboard.

Compare and contrast with Star Wars. Disney obviously wanted a cut of that sweet, sweet Star Wars box office. The big difference was in the pace, the tone and the characters. Disney's big difference in tone is absolutely fine. But the slow pace and the weak characters are a mill stone.
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2020 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The script definitely needed another pass, especially with dialogue & characters.  I like most of the actors enough to find them watchable, but if there are any very good moments, they're sporadic at best.

For me, the most interesting dynamic (and acting) was between Anthony Perkins and Maximilian Schell.  And Yvette Mimieux has a very good scene with them as well (probably my favorite sequence in the film, involving Perkins vs. the robot Maximilian).  Sadly, Mimieux, Ernest Borgnine and Robert Forster aren't given much else to work with.  And Joseph Bottoms maybe has one good line reading in the entire film.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 01 March 2020 at 9:45am

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2020 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As a kid I knew that this movie stunk. SO much so that when the school put us in the auditorium for a "special treat" of a film viewing (which normally was REAL exciting) I hohummed and complained that it was THIS film. 
I do remember there being controversy for a Disney film to have such "dark" themes and the murder robot. But maximillian was a super cool robot villain for sure. 
In retrospect this film is more akin to SIlent Running or Dark Star than Star Wars.
A take on the film with some interesting back story here
Back to Top profile | search | www

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2020 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It wasn't bad when I saw it on VHS, and I liked the comic book. But I just saw it again recently, and I hasn't aged well. Especially the intro where they are struggling in some sort of danger, which I felt was unnecessary as it went on and on.

I like the concept; a huge ship with only a single human being isolated from the rest of the world, expect the zombified crew, finally getting a visit from humans. The idea itself has potential.

And the lava lamp meteoroids were pretty cool.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2020 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

As a kid I had a children's book based on the movie. It was a pop-up book, with a really neat diorama of a bridge over a shaft. It wasn't until I was an adult that I saw the movie on video. I preferred the pop-up book. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |