Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Artists Whose Work You Will Buy No Matter What Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Disagree, there. I loathed DC’s godawful TWILIGHT miniseries, but I bought a page of the Garcia Lopez art.
Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Before I answer the question, I need to know if this
counts as “John Byrne Art”...

---

Wow, who was that inker?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm going to go against the tide of Byrne and Perez here, I might not want absolutely everything, although I can't think off the top of what I wouldn't. Dave Cockrum, Walt Simonson, Steve Ditko ditto. But absolutely anything and everything by an artist? I would have to scream Alex Toth. Although actually even there, the really early stuff (like super early Joe Kubert) is missable and very Caniff/Crane influenced, but later on from little doodles to animation model sheets to black & white comics made with the fattest marker... Toth blows my mind all the time still! Genius, magician, freak... but an undeniable great.

And then Neal Adams is pretty close to if I could have it all I would as well. Golden age comics by Frank Frazetta (as opposed to sometimes awful muddy reprints from stats or something) are the highest quality reached still. Likewise if you could just distinguish what the artist themself completed, like Matt Baker covers at St. John comics and Wally Wood doing the full job, I would want every single thing like that in existence.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Living:
Mr. Byrne
Alan Davis
Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez
Tom Grummett
George Perez

Passed:
Murphy Anderson
Wayne Boring
Gene Colan
Kurt Schaffenberger
Curt Swan

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I’m with (most of) the rest of the crowd – I can’t really commit to “no matter what,” but have a handful of artists who would be a pretty strong “yes” vote for whether or not to get something: JB, George Perez, Alan Davis, Jim Starlin, Steve Epting, Walt Simonson, Mike Grell, Brian Bolland and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez. A few months ago that list would've included Steve Ditko. :-(

What this translates to is that I’ll definitely pick up a project that is truly theirs (e.g. X-Men Elsewhen, Alan Davis’ random Marvel annuals a few years ago, Ragnarok, etc.), but will be choosier when it comes to fill-in art jobs (esp. if they’re only doing a subset of a larger story) and will generally avoid cover-only gigs (recent Grell Green Arrow covers).

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

John Byrne (duh)
Adam Hughes
Frank Cho
Ken Lashley
Keith Pollard 
Arvell Jones
Darryl Banks
Alex Ross

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm with Rebecca on this one- Alex Toth. I will also go out of my way to buy just about anything with art by Dave Stevens or Jose Garcia Lopez.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If they're solely working as "art robots," nobody. (My apologies, JB). If the writing is bad then there's nothing any artist can do to "save the story." 

Exception: 1940s artists, simply because there were very few truly good comics in the 1940s. So if there's an inexpensive reprint of something drawn by Mac Raboy, Harry G. Peter, Charles Biro, Joe Kubert, Lou Fine, Bill Everett, Reed Crandall...even if the stories are pablum I can still stare at the art. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Currently? If JB is drawing it, I'm buying it!

Who did I make sure got back when I was buying (took about a year for me to start caring about styles and the artists name)?
JB
George Perez
Jim Aparo
Marshall Rogers

Their styles were (are) so appealing to me that I would buy the mag regardless of story. And of course there were countless drawings from me trying to mimic them.

Neal Adams would have no doubt been on that list but he just did not do much during my buying time.
I have rectified this by getting many of his runs via TPB's!

edit for spelling

Edited by Doug Centers on 19 December 2018 at 3:41pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Oh yeah, Bill Everett, Reed Crandall, Mac Raboy, Fran Hopper, George Evans, Joe Kubert, Al Williamson, Bob Powell, John and Marie Severin,  lots of high quality comics work from the 'golden age' and later. I've never seen much Lou Fine, just some Spirit inking I think and the occasional single example, I'm sure I'd like him as much if I got to see more.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 19 December 2018 at 3:45pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'll mention some of my most recent favourites:
Mikel Janín
Jason Fabok
Clay Mann

I like other artists, but I think if the writer is a 5 yo and the artist is one of these, I'd probably buy the comic.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2018 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Brian, Travis Charest is one I forgot. I would definitely buy any comic he did. Really wish he was doing more than the occasional Marvel cover. Same with guys others have mentioned like Brian Bolland, Bill Sienkiewicz, Adam Huges , Art Adams, and Alex Ross. They all seem to be just cover artists these days and miss seeing them tell a story with their art.

Has Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez done anything lately or had a recent collection? I'd definitely buy whatever comic that had some of his art.

Sergio, I really like Mikel Janin's work a lot too. He's part of the reason I've been getting Batman.

Just realized I also forgot Michael Lark. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 19 December 2018 at 5:04pm

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |