Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: SPIDER-MAN: Far From Home ~ SPOILERS begin pg 8 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Speaking of nephews and Jurassic Park, my nephew told me he likes dinosaur movies, but not dinosaur movies where people get eaten. It's like, the next generation is doomed.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE LAND BEFORE TIME?
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've told this story before, but my sister wanted to watch the latest Jurassic Park film and my nephew was a tiny tot at the time. She wondered if he was too young to see the film. I dashed to my room and came out with a VHS tape (!) of LAND OF THE LOST to test his reactions to that first. He stood watching as the song played and the family's raft was washed over the waterfall. He stood staring as Grumpy, the stop-motion T-Rex menaced the tiny humans and chased them across the screen, up into the cave. Then Grumpy turns towards the camera, roars, and swallows us all whole! My nephew's eyes shot open wide and he took three giant steps backwards away from the screen.

My sister said, "O-o-okay, maybe he's not ready yet..." :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 17 July 2019 at 7:24pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That's my vote. And I respect your decision to have your own.

-----

That's great, but as a reminder, this was your initial entry into the thread. Wasn't very respectful.

QUOTE: 
I can't imagine any long-time Spidey fan actually liking it. Most of the positive reviews that I have seen go along the lines of: 'It was great, my 10-year old son loved it' 

I've got a nephew who thought Jurassic Park III was the best one.

Case. Rested.

Okay, I'll take that one on the chin. I was still annoyed from seeing the movie and my emotions got the better of me. I was going from the angle that it would be difficult for an adult viewer to see many negatives if they took their kid and his two pals and the munchkins all loved it. 

We've all been kids, and we've probably all watched and loved some movies that, on viewing as an adult, have been less than impressive.

I remembered seeing 'Grizzly' on TV as a kid, thinking it was way up there with the greatest. 

When I finally saw it again, as a twenty-five year old? What the hell...

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 11:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Speaking of nephews and Jurassic Park, my nephew told me he likes dinosaur movies, but not dinosaur movies where people get eaten. It's like, the next generation is doomed.

----------------------

I used to love those old stop-motion Harryhausen movies (1 Million BC / Sinbad etc) but then the moviemakers went through a phase of sticking things to real lizards and the films kind of lost their appeal. 

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2019 at 3:28am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm really late to the discussion but I figured I'd chime in. Far From Home is the first MCU film in many years that I didn't watch on opening day. They released it early in the week and I just decided to let it wait for a bit. Captain Marvel and Endgame felt like steps in the wrong direction so I have to admit I was getting a bit burned out and jaded on the MCU. This film definitely helped renew my enthusiasm.

For the first half hour I wasn't sure what to make of it. I knew some of the rough plot elements since they'd been posted at various places but as the film went along it started to pull me in. The Mysterio/Spider-Man dynamic was fun and a nice way for Peter to process Tony Stark's death. The elementals seemed like a pretty one-note threat and once it was revealed they were just illusions it fit perfectly. The villain turn for Mysterio was nicely handled. For the most part the film was a solid success as far as I'm concerned.

The only element that didn't work was the teachers. Martin Starr and J. B. Smoove are funny people but their characters seemed to work against the story more than it helped. Not enough to really sink anything. But not really particularly interesting. I know the "Peter tingle" element was disliked by some but I laughed when it came up. Along with "night monkey". The film was prepared to have some fun but in the end gave us a solid Spider-Man story and I'm really glad I didn't skip it in the theater.

I'm not entirely sold on the post-Avengers slate of films. Eternals especially. Far From Home has helped restore some of my confidence in the Marvel films. Hopefully that isn't let down when we get the next batch.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2019 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well, finally saw FAR FROM HOME. It was entertaining
enough but didn't feel like Spider-man.

With the future of the MCU seemingly relying on
everything I've hated about the last 15 years of Marvel
comics, I'm done. 22 movies, some better than others but
basically a fun ride.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 05 August 2019 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Stephen Churay wrote:
Well, finally saw FAR FROM HOME. It was entertaining enough but didn't feel like Spider-man.

With the exception of INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE, this felt most like the Spider-Man I've known for nearly 50 years.  Different strokes.  

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm still bothered by how the high-speed train hitting Peter head-on didn't immediately liquify him. As with Raimi's SPIDER-MAN 2's train scene, someone confused Spider-Man with Superman. You'd think with Marvel at the helm this time, that would not have happened.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"MY Spider-Man would have been splattered by the train!"
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Roberto Melendrez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2019 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Saw it with my teenagers.

It wasn't horrible but also not very good either in my opinion.

Thing I liked: Depiction of Mysterio's abilities. Very cool- when it wasn't about mass destruction it looked like something out of the comics.

Things I didn't like: just about everything else.

Experience that sums it up: My son asked if the movie was almost over with around an hour left to go. I felt that way around 20 mins into the movie.

I've passed on seeing most Marvel films in the theater- just not that entertaining.  Way too much fan service. Not enough substance.

Edited by Roberto Melendrez on 08 August 2019 at 3:53pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2019 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Vinny, in the first issue of Spider-Man he shoots a web & hitches a ride on a space capsule flying over a building.
I think he could take being hit by a train

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |