Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Star Trek: Discovery ~ Season 2 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2019 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ep. 5 tonight was mostly augh!... cornball individual episode story of seconds from certain doom for all, then by 'everyone working together' they are saved and another dead character returns... oh how noble and self-sacrificing we are (but it's rewarded! there is never the sacrifice except by an alien or the extra in the red shirt, and even they will probably come back again too), then the over-all story is moved forward slightly and that part was good... but then the unseen hand of some greater power directing people on their own path thing at the end had me back to saying augh! It's like a sci-fi rom-com soap with dollops of The Manchurian Candidate really. :^|

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 14 February 2019 at 8:48pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2019 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I actually like that this season is starting to feel more like Star Trek, i.e. hopeful and the good guys win in the end.  Last season the whole 'ruthlessly killing cast members' thing just impressed me as some executive saying, "Hey, Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead are super popular, we gotta kill people off and keep the audience guessing!"  
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2019 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I change my answer. We won’t see Spock until the last couple of episodes. 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2019 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Saints of Imperfection"

Yeah, that was pretty bleh.   I suspect of the episodes that had to be rewritten and reshot this was the one that ended up closest to it's original form...  Just a hunch.

*Of course finding Spock's shutte was a fake out.  This stuff is going to drag out GILLIGAN'S ISLAND style for the rest of the season.

*A very contrived way for Tyler to rejoin the cast purely to make more artificial drama for Michael.

*Stamets hardly flinches when Tyler enters the bridge, almost like he knows Hugh's death will be reversed by the end of the episode   It's also oh-so-convenient that Ash is right where he needs to be so he can apologize to Hugh in a future episode.   This is the kind of stuff that makes creative writing teachers into alcholoics.

*Something being explained as a Section 31 black op is a cheap and lazy way to handwave stupid plot points or continuity violations.   Isn't it great we are going to get a whole new show of just that?

*The mycelial network decided to remove Hugh's clothes and give him a spiffy haircut, just so the show could slip in a gooch shot.   Always pushing the boundaries of tasteful TV, that's our STAR TREK.

*Despite half the hull being eaten away any bets that plot point isn't going to even blip in next weeks episode?   It's taking weeks in spacedock to fix the Enterprise but I bet dollars to donuts the Discovery magically repairs itself, just in time to do  'A very special Saru episode' where he liberates his people -- because we just happen to be in the same neck of the woods as the Kelpian homeworld.

*Please don't let the Red Angel Maguffin have anything to do with future Spock, time travel or red matter.   The mention of tachyons does not inspire hope.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 15 February 2019 at 1:39pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2019 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Despite half the hull being eaten away any bets that plot point isn't going to even blip in next weeks episode?
-------------------------------------------
We will see. I'd be surprised if a series that has leant so heavily in the direction of an overarching narrative that bleeds from episode to episode, as opposed to standalone episodes, just simply skips over this.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2019 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Maybe they can do what the Jon Pertwee Doctor Who used to do to those tachyons and reverse the polarity and come up with a better episode next time? :^D
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 2:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"The Sound of Thunder"

Well, this was pretty much a paint-by-numbers oppressed society liberation episode.

... and you know what?   

It's exactly what DISCOVERY needed.  No cameraman jumping around or swooping upside-down.  No poorly lit scenes where you're wondering if the brightness setting on your TV is out of whack.   Dialogue not drowned out by the music.   No thinly-veiled political analogies or obvious analogs of current political figures.   No social axes to grind.   A strightforward story with striaghtforward direction and execusion.   It's amazing how much something can feel like STAR TREK when you just go back to the basics and tell a story instead of trying to disguise a lack of plot with flashy effects and other crap.

Notes:

*No mention of Discovery being half-dissolved in the last episode.  The engineer elves magically fixed it (yep, I called it but I also think I can forgive this sin since it was such a good episode otherwise).

*Does every 'the universe is bigger than you ever thought possible' episode have an obligatory scene where someone gets to look at their own planet from space in a starship?

*Michael actually makes use of her Xenoanthropology training!   No new out-of-the-blue powers or knowledge added to Michael's cap either.  <applause>

*When they revealed that Kaminar was outside of Federation space and the agressive-reclusive nature of the planet's dominant species my first thought was that this was a Romulan protectorate and we were going to get yet-another-Romulan-encounter-where-we-don't-see-them. 

*The Ba'ul scenes were giving me some serious "Skin of Evil" flashbacks.

*Saru's pretty handy being able to cobble together a makeshift communicator that can punch through the Ba'ul citadel's interference just from the remnants of a couple drones (or did he have a com on him and use the drone parts to enhance it, it's not clear).   He was also displaying increased strength in addition his advanced intelligence -- both of these aspects would fall in line with his newly bloomed predatory physiology

*In contract to the new Kelpien abilities the Ba'ul's reclusive and isolationist nature points more towards them being a prey species.

*Captain Pike actually acted like a Captain and ordered Saru off the bridge -- Bravo!   Too bad he completely disregarded any other orders.   We get to see a sliver of the old Mutinous Michael when she lets Saru use the transporter.   Old habits die hard.

*Hopefully there are repercussions to Saru's violation of General Order One.  There should be in the very least a hearing by independant committee to determine an account of the events on Kaminar.   I don't think Pike has the authority to pardon or excuse Saru, otherwise every Starfleet Captain would have a violation or three under their command that are swept under the rug.

*So the Red Angel is a time travelling humanoid wearing an advanced tech suit?   Ooookay.   Still thinking Spock-with-red-matter... and others seem to think so too.

<side note, I really hate how broken the forum's link embedding is.  It keeps adding spaces into the URL and breaks the link >

<side note 2, fixed it finally.   However, it shouldn't be this much work to get a link to display right>

*For an alternative take on the above theory, watch the scene where Spock enters and mind melds with V*GER in TMP... in a red space suit! (ok... it's orange-ish)

*Is the episode title an allusion to the similarly-named Bradbury story?   Given the time-travel revelation in the episode and the implications of altering the past in the Bradbury story I wouldn't be surprised that's what the show is hinting at.

*One of the more obscure dangling plot threads left over from ENTERPRISE involves the pan-dimensional Sphere Builders who inhabited the Delphic Expanse.   The sphere we encountered in the previous episode seemed strangely familiar.  In ENT it was shown the Builders technology tended to play havoc with Starfleet systems because of it's interphasic nature -- trying to communicate with their ships would cause ships to malfunction and shut down.   It was also revealed the Builders went to war with the Federation in the 26th century and lost, and later misused time travel technology to prevent the formation of the Federation by starting the Xindi-Earth war.   
(yeah, I doubt this has anything to do with the time travelling Red Angel or the infosphere but I thought it was very coincidental how many boxes that old ENT plotline ticked)

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 24 February 2019 at 4:40am

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Light and Shadows"

This was er... interesting.   Sort of a return to the A-plot/B-plot structure that TNG sometimes had.   Not a terrible episode by any means, maybe just a little pedestrian?

Notes:

*Spock has a learning disability?   Ok, sure.  I can roll with that, though you would have thought his Mother would have already realized the numbers he was writing made no sense due to his documented dyscalcula (not dyslexia, technically... though STAR TREK isn't the first nor will be the last show to make this mistake).   I get the impression that all the characters around Michael (and Tilly as well) are deliberately written dumber and thicker so our two mains can be the ones to jump in and save the day.   That aspect gets very tiresome.   Sometimes, I think Discovery would be better off as a true ensemble show.

*You know, maybe Michael and Amanda should have taken their conversation about Spock outside the house so Sarek couldn't overhear?  

*You think hearing your parents fight when you were a kid was awful?  I shudder to think about poor Spock and Michael having to listen to Sarek and Amanda's domestic disagreements...

*It sounded like they mixed in some of Leonard Nimoy's voice along with Ethan Peck's in the scenes where Spock was chanting and rambling (either that or Ethan was nailing it).   I noticed they were making a big deal out of Adam Nimoy "approving" of Ethan's casting -- perhaps he signed off on the use of his Father's likeness and voice for the franchise and this is the first result.

*Leland being the one responsible for the death of Michael's parents seems... a little too pat, don't you think?   I think I actually forgot that Michael's parents met a violent end (part of my blotting out certain parts of Season 1 I think).

*How does Georgiou looking bad help her get ahead on the Section 31 ship?

*What was the line Michelle Yeoh said after Michael asked Georgiou if she had killed her mother?    It sounded like "It's hazy" but I'm not sure.   They really need to turn the background music down a notch.

*I'm still not sure why a probe updated with 28th century tech had such a hard on for vintage 23rd century computers.   (is this oh-no-not-another-Borg-time-loop-origin thing?).   Interestingly when the probe was rifling through the Discovery's computers it looked very similar to the way the Talosions went through the Enterprise memory banks in "The Cage".  Coincidentally, we're going to Talos IV next.   Hmmm.

*Tilly continues to irritate.   I'll probably write a separate article about this at a later date.

*Pike is the best written and acted character in this entire show.   Dear STAR TREK people, please keep him.

*Holy shit, next week's preview looked fantastic and interesting.   The Talosian redesign looks really good.   So far the only DISCO next episode preview that didn't make me yawn.  

*It sounds like we'll learn just why Starfleet issued a "no contact" order with Talos IV with a death penalty, and possibly some motivations for Spock and the Talosians in "The Menagerie".   This might be the first (IMO) classic TREK continuity point that DISCO has enhanced rather than muddled.  Emphasis on 'might'.

*The Red Angel and the as-yet-unnamed enemy in the preview looked eerily like both the Vorlons (in angel form, but wearing a tech suit... uh huh) and the Shadows -- the enemy's ships looked a lot like the mass drivers/planet killers from Babylon 5 too.   Interestingly, this week's episode had a very B5-ish title....   Hmmm.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 02 March 2019 at 12:25am

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 12:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If Memory Serves

Since seeing the previews last week, I was nervous about this one. Considering the drastic changes to the Klingons, I was very skeptical of how they were going to handle Talos IV, but damn I think they really nail it with this one. Updated just enough to reflect 2019 sensibilities while staying faithful to the look and feel of TOS and The Cage in particular.

Pike has become so likable that it's going to be sad to see him go.   

I'm warming up to Ethan Peck's Spock (Hoping at some point before he leaves, we will get a glimpse of him in his classic blue uniform sans beard).

Already getting a little tired of PTSD-Hugh and am hoping they aren't going to drag that out too much longer.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I liked how they used the original episode for the
recap!

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2019 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yes, I thought that was a very nice touch.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2019 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Pike is the best written and acted character in this entire show.   Dear STAR TREK people, please keep him

Amen brother  It reminds me of how Jon Bernthal basically stole the show in DD season 2.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |