Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Wars
Topic: Robert Bailey Interview Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Started watching Youtube channel Curiosity Incorporated for their Potter's House restoration series, which is something I never imagined myself getting into but is actually quite fascinating. But I digress. Their latest video features an interview with Canadian artist Robert Bailey who has done work for George Lucas/Lucasfilm and Marvel. His Star Wars paintings and drawings are great (especially the drawing he's currently working on in the video), but what I was really blown away by was his World War 2 art which they show later in the video. Posting this here because it does feature a Star Wars related interview and much of his Star Wars art. But there is more to it than just Star Wars. I like that the videographer is an antique dealer/fan so it's all seen through that particular lens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW1avyLoaRU 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 25 March 2019 at 10:22am
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2019 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I used to be Robert's art rep for a few years. He is a wonderful guy, but now under exclusive contract with another vendor. He only does a few convention appearances each year and typically only New York shows. He is a wonderful guy and I always liked attending conventions with him. Thanks for posting the interview, Shane.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2019 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Very cool, Eric. I imagine he was hired to do Star Wars work based on Lucas' love of his World War 2 paintings, since Lucas is a WW2 aficionado. Was that the case? 
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2019 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Shane, you are completely correct. Robert made a name for himself doing WW II paintings. About the time Lucas was making "Red Tails", he approached Robert to do some work. Eventually, he asked Robert to try some Star Wars related subjects that Robert initially turned down. George siad , "If you can paint airplanes, you can paint X-wings" and Robert gave it a shot. He spent the next year submitting 5-8 pencil sketches to George per month that he would select from to do a painting. Robert would spend a month painting the one picked and then submit pencils again. He ended up doing 10-12 paintings for George's private collection before he told Robert that he had all he wanted and made Robert a Lucasfilm artist with access to photo reference and materials online. He encouraged Robert to keep doing Star Wars related work so Robert has been doing so for almost a decade now.

Robert always preaches persitence. I've been with him at conventions and people ask about the tools he uses, how he discovered his talent, etc. All the standard assumptions about artists and Robert explains that he was last in his class at art school, but he had the ability to sit at his table and create art all day. Robert says talent is 1-2% of the equation and that persistence is what truly defines an arts. Persistence to work, get better and ignore the desire to give up. All the other stuff can be learned, but if you can't keep working then it doesn't matter how good you are because you will never get anything done.

He is a very enjoyable man and I recommend you have a chat with him if you ever get to a New York convention to see him in attendance.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 31 March 2019 at 7:11am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |