Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: The Batman Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

About Pattinson... My first reaction was "ick," as I don't really see him in the role based on his past work and general looks. However, actor's "act", so I suppose it's unfair to base his fitness for the role on the past movies he has been in.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My feelings are the same as JB's.... after Michael Keaton, anyone becomes a good choice.

Also, I'd say this casting is the LEAST of the concerns.... WB needs a good supporting cast plus an exciting and competent script to restart this franchise.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was teaching in China at the time the first TWILIGHT movie came out.

"Oh my God Mr. Lindholm! You have to see this movie!" exclaimed every teenage girl in my class.

Knowing nothing about it, I watched it and holy crap was it awful. That said, I agree with the above statement that actors act and you can't base a future performance on a prior one. He was fine in HARRY POTTER and I would have no problem seeing him in the role. Of course, with the same caveats as mentioned above.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So WB has now had 6 different actors cast in the role of Batman in last 30 years.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

About Pattinson... My first reaction was "ick," as I don't really see him in the role based on his past work and general looks. However, actor's "act", so I suppose it's unfair to base his fitness for the role on the past movies he has been in.
Same here.  Admittedly I haven't seen all his work but the four or five I have all essay a similarly passive, sensitive, shy character which for me is at odds with the Batman persona.   As suggested above, sometimes actors get typecast at playing a particular type and actually have a range so I'll withhold final judgment.  But the casting does make me less likely to go than before and I already had pretty low interest. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Surprised of how little I care about this, Batman being my favorite character ever. 

First reaction is that he's too pretty and has no edge but I don't know... with a good script and if he does his characterization homework it could work. And if it doesn't, they've f---ed it up so much already that it won't make a dent. Sad but true.

On Keaton, while I agree the casting was extremely odd I think he somehow made it work. He brought an intensity to the role that I appreciated. He's far from being the worst Batman IMHO, I liked him better than Kilmer, Clooney and Affleck.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Bruce Wayne SHOULD be “pretty”.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Bruce Wayne SHOULD be “pretty”.

I (very) respectfully disagree, JB.

That's why I used that word, I think Bruce Wayne should be handsome, but not "pretty". Pattinson has delicate features, a certain feminine quality that while it works wonders for teenage girls, doesn't scream "Batman" to me.

I think the same way about James Bond, and thought Brosnan for example was also too "pretty" for the role.

It's all very subjective of course. An argument could be made that Christian Bale is also "pretty" but he, unlike Pattinson IMHO, DOES have an "edge", a darker side.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 17 May 2019 at 8:33pm

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 May 2019 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bruce should be the last person on Earth anyone would ever suspect of being Batman. A society boy, a playboy (to use the old term). People should assume him to be soft and somewhat dissolute. (Denny and Neal did a scene of Bruce working out at the gym, demonstrating himself to be stronger than some bodybuilders. Funny, but out of character.)

Pattison's features don't say "Batman". Well, of course! They shouldn't!

James Bond, on the other had, should look as if he has been around the block more than a few times.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 May 2019 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

On the web page I found it on, though, credit for the creation of those versions seems to be given to the Multiversity team of Grant Morrison and Bogdanove. Hmm....

••

Oh, well, I'm sure they RACED to correct that!

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Pattinson has the chin for it, but I'm more worried about the guy making the movie.  His track record doesn't exactly scream "This guy" to me. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"So WB has now had 6 different actors cast in the role of Batman in last 30 years."

WB/DC seems to have the opposite relationship between actors and the characters they are playing than Marvel Studios. With DC, the actors are more or less replaceable, giving the feeling of the characters being empty suits. BATMAN v SUPERMAN lacked any significance IMO, since it was also the first appearance of Bat-fleck (and a freshly-rebooted Batman, at that). The MCU films seem to place more emphasis on building a relationship with the characters/actors and the viewers. (The only significant replacements I recall were for Rhodes and Banner, which each had only one outing with the original actors and were both a result of disputes of some sort). 

Though perhaps one could say that Marvel Studios takes it a bit too far, with the apparent willingness to retire long-established characters to avoid recasting them with different actors.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |