Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Robert Downey Jr wasn’t Off-Model Enough? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 12:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Being a life long Conan Doyle fan I never imagined I would feel "Sherlock Holmes Fatigue" but I'm definitely feeling it now. 

Give it a rest.
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 4:44am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Koroush wrote:

But keep in mind that Young Sherlock Holmes, Young Indiana Jones, Old Batman, etc. are meant to be the same character; they're not entirely new characters who simultaneously outdo and belittle existing original characters - effective getting a boost from their profile while also crapping on them.
------------------------------------------------------------ -

Yes, I hate the trend of appropriating an existing character to surf on their reputation while trashing it.

Koroush, have you ever seen Young Sherlock: The Mystery of the Manor House? It was a 1982 TV production of 8 episodes starring Guy Henry as the young Sherlock, and is on Youtube.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Rodrigo, I would suggest you are feeling Sherlock Holmes deprivation, rather than fatigue!

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The first thing that sprang to my mind upon reading this thread was that Henry Cavill, with this role, will have played two of the three Most Famous Men Who Never Lived. 

To play all three he'd have to play Tarzan. 

What was that JB said about off-model?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rodrigo, I would suggest you are feeling Sherlock Holmes deprivation, rather than fatigue!

Haha, true. I guess it's more like "Sherlock Holmes' name being thrown around all the time for no reason" fatigue.

HOUSE, for example, is a more faithful Holmes than all the recent adaptations and they did it without using the name, the mythos or even his profession. I'd rather have things like that.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

They could have cast Rihanna.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2019 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Steven Brake wrote:
Koroush, have you ever seen Young Sherlock: The Mystery of the Manor House? It was a 1982 TV production of 8 episodes starring Guy Henry as the young Sherlock, and is on Youtube.

Sorry mate, didn't see your question till just now, and to answer it: no, I haven't. And no offense intended, but I don't really want to :)

I think the idea of a "Young" Sherlock Holmes just doesn't suit the character. Holmes' detective skills are as much derived from an enigmatic and well-traveled life as they are from his keen intellect. Take away his knowledge gained from experience and you'd have a relatively smart but pale shadow of the adult version, one who would get things wrong due to inexperience.

In fact that's one of the things many writers don't seem to get when they try to adapt the character to their various projects. He doesn't arrive at the right conclusion merely through complex thought processes; his detective skills aren't a superpower. He frequently has to refer to various sources, from people he knows to books, notes and experiments. He sometimes mentions that he doesn't quite know what to conclude, and that he needs more facts before he can announce his thoughts.

That's what keeps the character interesting for me, and why, as I said, I just stick to the books and the Granada TV adaptation, as they're the only ones that seem to get the character right (in my opinion).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |