Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: Pose - FX Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My 17 yr old daughter recommended this show and I wasn't sure if it was for me- its about the struggles of Trans & gay people of color in New York during the late 1980's.  I was pretty sure that I'm not the likely demographic for this show & my wife and I almost bailed by the 2nd episode of season 1. My daughter encouraged us to stick with it and we are both so glad that we did!

It's not a perfect show- corny at times certainly- but what it gets right, it gets SO right. So much heart & truth & life in this show that I just rolled with the bits that would usually bother me on other shows.

I knew virtually nothing about the ballroom scene or houses or families but have learned that all of it is real. Characters are all amalgams based on real people. Events rooted in history- even some of the more exaggerated ones.

By the end 3rd episode, I was curious how it would end- I had doubts a show like this could ever get a 2nd season.  By the time we got to the end of Season 1episode 4, we were hooked.  I was pleased to learn that Season 2 was starting up at that point and season 3 was announced soon afterwards.

By this weeks most recent episode, season 2 episode 4, I feel compelled to recommend it to others, like me, who may feel that they're not the target audience for this show.  Let's just say, my wife cried her eyes out and, while I kept a stiff upper lip, the feels were definitely real.

Easily one of the best episodes of ANY tv show that I've ever seen. 

A show about the trials, tribulations, loves and losses of Trans and gay people was, admittedly, a hard sell for me (too far removed from my experience I thought- or it's going to be too preachy), but this show not only engaged & entertained but it has really changed my outlook in the best way.

POSE gets my highest recommendation! If you do watch it try your best not to read up on it as there are some surprises and drama that you do not want to spoil for yourself.

Edited to add:

Season 1 is on Netflix & new episodes (season 2) are on the FX App.

Edited by Roberto Melendrez on 11 July 2019 at 2:12pm
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |