Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: Designated Survivor Cancelled - AGAIN Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Very disappointed with Netflix for canceling "Designated Survivor" after it picked it up from ABC.

They had something special in this show but they fumbled it. Such an amazing cast and story line... which is why I thought Netflix picked it up for a 3rd season. Why would they cancel it so soon?? (The reviews and viewership was not the problem.)

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well, crap....

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Damn. 
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Here is why DESIGNATED SURVIVOR was cancelled:

As of this year (specifically, June), Netflix is placing a greater weight on a show's cost vs. its performance in key areas: gaining new subscribers or attracting subscribers who watch infrequently (and, therefore, are considered at-risk of cancelling).

If a show isn't a) drawing new subscribers or b) attracting subscribers who don't watch much Netflix, it's a candidate for cancellation. Buzz and critical acclaim are not priorities, nor is attracting regular Netflix viewers. 

That goes double for shows Netflix acquires from elsewhere, rather than homegrown product like STRANGER THINGS.

Additionally, Netflix' data shows that its series in their 3rd season rarely attract new viewers and often lose existing ones, yet that is where costs increase as creative talent looks to renegotiate deals and payoffs kick in for execs with long-term deals. 

I have a friend working on the production and am disappointed for him, but without Netflix, it's likely there would not have been a 3rd season of the show at all.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2019 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ah, so they are stuck in the churn rather than retain model.

I thought that had been shown to be a mugís game.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If I understand you right, it's not really a "mug's game".  Netflix is beholden to new viewers much more than traditional networks because new viewers have to actually subscribe to become such.  You and I may stumble upon a series we already get as a part of some package, whether it's in the US or the UK, but in order to actually watch something on Netflix, Hulu, or the upcoming Disney+ and Warner Brothers streaming apps, we have to actively subscribe.  And THAT is the only number that means anything to them.  Subscriptions drive $$.  If they can discover that DESIGNATED SURVIVOR Season 3 isn't driving people to subscribe to the service to watch it, then why renew it for a Season 4 no matter how much the dedicated fanbase would love for it to continue?  CSI, NCIS, etc. can survive off the goodwill of those who passively watch it (ie. fans do nothing to get it and thus watch it out of habit) because it's based on a commercial model.  Moving a series from standard to pay model means it has to prove it moves the needle in some way.  When it doesn't?  There's not much of an option.  

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Unless, the cancellation of shows that current subscribers like starts to drive current subscribers away.

Iíve been a customer of Sky since 1999 & became increasingly annoyed @ their deals for new customers that were not available to existing customers. They changed that a couple of years ago & created VIP, the level based on how long you had subscribed. I now get the best deal available.

They realised that retention was better than churn.

Netflix has had a privileged position but the level of competition will increase markedly over the next few years. I can see churn being less important than figuring out how to keep their existing customers, especially if the new subscriber numbers start to fall below those that leave for other services like Disney+ 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If they can discover that DESIGNATED SURVIVOR Season 3 isn't driving people to subscribe to the service to watch it, then why renew it for a Season 4 no matter how much the dedicated fanbase would love for it to continue?
Well, seems that advertising is a lost art.... other than the news that Designated Survivor had been "saved" from cancellation by Netflix, I saw no promotion for the new season. Does Netflix promote ANY shows other than their homegrown products??

Also, makes me wonder if Season 3 would've had a better shot premiering in August or September, when audiences are looking for something to watch because summer vacation is over.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Good point Charles. Season 3 dropped with no publicity @ all. It just appeared, all in one day, with zero build up.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

They basically pulled an ABC. 

Why I mean by that is that ABC often does little to promote a show OR has a vague commercial that tells you nothing about the show at all (Remember Red Widow?), then cancel it and wonder why no one was watching.

(I'm still mad at Deception being cancelled after one season.)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 30 July 2019 at 1:14am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

They didn't pull an "ABC".  Netflix, with a very few exceptions, doesn't advertise their series.They have literally hundreds of series that debut that no one here knows anything about at the time they debut.  That's their model.  They hope to go viral via word of mouth rather than pay money for an ad campaign. And it's worked for them.  In spades.

That DESIGNATED SURVIVOR failed isn't on Netflix.  They gave them a third season. They gave the series a platform after it was all but dead. Fans should be happy they got that.  They shouldn't be bitching about the money Netflix paid to acquire and produce a season of television.  They should be pissed that not enough people cared to PAY for something they previously thought they DESERVED to get for free.  Your series wasn't worth enough to the big four to produce but Netflix took a flier on it. And then they should be pilloried for it. 

Seriously.

They didn't take out a multimillion dollar advertising campaign for a failed network television series to draw a couple hundred more people and, instead, hoped that the viewership was deeper than it actually was. Boo Netflix.  

Honestly.  Wow.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |