Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 05 -- Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

True but we had an indication his recovery was quite long.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB wrote:
...Just how much would there be between that single appearance and what I am doing here? Thirty odd issues equals.... what, for the X-Men?...

Enough time appeared to have passed that most of the X-Men and Professor Xavier though Jean had died after the battle with Magneto in the volcano and had moved on somewhat, with Cyclops briefly dating Colleen Wing, and Xavier leaving Earth to spend time with Lilandra. My guess, without re-reading the issues for any mentions of time passages is it was at least a few months.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Enough time appeared to have passed that most of the X-Men and Professor Xavier though Jean had died after the battle with Magneto in the volcano and had moved on somewhat, with Cyclops briefly dating Colleen Wing, and Xavier leaving Earth to spend time with Lilandra. My guess, without re-reading the issues for any mentions of time passages is it was at least a few months.

••

And here we see the basic problem of time in this kind of serial fiction. Of course, thirty issues is almost three years for the readers, and it would seem forced and artificial if the people crafting the story ignored that. So, for the sake of the readers, time passes more or less normally.

For the characters, tho, no--and doesn't that paint Scott as something of a cad as he bounces back so quickly from Jean's "death"?

Of course not--unless readers insist on seeing that way, and adding to the "Scott is a dick" mythos.

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

TBH, it kinda gives me mixed feelings about Scott.

He wasn't there at some key moments when Jean needed him (dealing with her being changed and her new power level), BUT at the same time he stood by her at her lowest moments too.

I guess him having flaws and doubts are what makes him human after all... Mostly I feel sorry for him.  Like Jean, he's had a really rough road.

Still can't get my wife to like him though... Blame the movies (!)

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Blame bad writing and the characters being held responsible for same.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Cyclops is flawed, is human, and is subject to emotions... except when he's on the job. Then, that just shuts down in deference to the mission. He feels, all right, but it's subsumed.

I dread how he suffered at the hands of some writers - especially the scene in the Savage Land. To be honest, when HE needed Ororo the most, she let HIM down. That was painful in context, and painful in learning about how it happened ex post facto.

Cyclops, to me, is the Captain America of the mutant world. He ought to be the purest and best of the mutants, and that applies to a lot of humans as well. But hey... in the end, Cyclops is a dick, right? Pfui.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I dread how he suffered at the hands of some writers - especially the scene in the Savage Land. To be honest, when HE needed Ororo the most, she let HIM down. That was painful in context, and painful in learning about how it happened ex post facto.

•••

And painful for the guy who actually DREW an entirely different scene.

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

What was the original gist of it?  The published one made him appear awful really...

Edited by Michael Genitempo on 17 October 2019 at 10:16am

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I was surprised, working on this project, to find Chris and I used Magneto only once in our run. That discovery created an interesting consideration in terms of elapsed time. Just how much would there be between that single appearance and what I am doing here? Thirty odd issues equals.... what, for the X-Men?
----------------

Well, as I pointed out before, using Christmas (I know , I know, it's a topical reference, but...) , by "in text" narration, months pass between fighting Magneto in the Savage Land and Christmas with Sunfire (113 - 119) then it's a "year" from then to "Kitty's Demon" (with a text reference to summer in 139 and 140).  So it took Magneto like a year to recover and get to our current issue

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A timeline for this time period (If anyone cares) :

Based on in text narration (not art)

-late December:  captured by Sentinels, birth of Phoenix (98 - 102)
-Summer at the swimming hole, vs Mac (109)
-Battle with Magneto then hanging out in the Savage Land
-"six weeks" of travel to Japan 
-Christmas with Sunfire (119)
-Spring "Dark Phoenix Saga"
-Summer (139) "Months have passed since Jean died"
-Christmas (Kitty's Demon)

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

So Scott lost Jean in the Fall and hooked up with Colleen that Winter.  But based on his life growing up, it's completely plausible that he would go numb and seal off his love for her.  

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

For as long as I can remember, I have considered most past events in comics as "some time ago," and that has worked just fine for me. "A short time ago" and "a long time ago" are as specific as I need to get.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |