Author

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 December 2019 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Not a Terrible Idea...
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2019 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've said before I would be open to a Superman film with him having his originally written abilities only. Street level crime fighting, social justice fighter.
Even a time piece set in the late thirties, no origin just an opening scene of a mild mannered guy walking into the Daily Star offices.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2019 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

AT a single bound.

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2019 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Please. Pretty please.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2019 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This is pretty close to what Grant Morrison tried to do in the early issues of the ACTION COMICS reboot in 2011 (the New 52 era of DC). It was a valiant effort. It didn't really work, though. And that Superman was fighting Brainiac and Metallo soon enough.

I like the late '30s Superman. But he only works if his powers are pretty modest. Once he's at the level of, say, JB's Superman of 1987 -- who can survive a nuke at point blank range -- he can't exactly punch out human bad guys anymore without knocking their heads off (well, he could "tap" them, but that would turn into comedy pretty quickly).

He can still be a sort of "super-fireman" saving people from disasters around the world. He could probably fight global warming with his powers, even. Freeze arctic waters, plant lots of trees...

All a Superman movie needs is a quality script (there are writers who could write one! Really!) and a quality director. They really are out there! Just hire them, Warner Bros.!

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2019 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I would be on board for this. 

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2019 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've posted this elsewhere - not here, I think - but doesn't the popularity of Chris Evans as Captain America prove that audiences will enthusiastically respond to an unequivocally good hero, and that "straight" doesn't have to mean "dull"?

Give Henry Cavill a decent - or even good, and, if we're lucky, a GREAT - script. Replace the murky palette of the Snyder films with vibrancy and colour. Give him the proper costume. Remove the angst.

Don't make Superman "relevant", make him inspiring. Let Superman soar, taking us with him.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2019 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I remember when they had Earth 2 for the golden age 'versions', that Superman (and Power Girl) were not as super as the current Earth 1 Superman (and Supergirl) and they did a kind of leap-fly. They also had Superman getting some grey hair (and Batman retiring and then dying).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2019 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Earth-2 Superman and Power Girl had some genuinely affecting moments due to their increased vulnerability, relative to their more mainstream counterparts. There's a bit in issue 68 of All-Star Comics that absolutely kills me as Power Girl is taken down by a ray-gun weapon wielded by a common Gotham City cop. And what happens next issue... Good stuff.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2019 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brian- I recently got All Star Comics, Only Legends Live Forever TPB.
I read those stories for the first time in decades and loved every second of it! 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2019 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I hate that progressives and conservatives have made everywhere and everything a battleground, including superhero comics. It's going to happen to superhero movies, and that's when I'll stop watching. 

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2019 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Joe,

I think our elders were onto something when they had rules about NOT discussing religion or politics in most situations.

Marc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |