Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Better Call Saul Season 5 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2020 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Brian Miller wrote:
What was the purpose of putting that water in the bowl surrounded by the grass then covered with the black thing?

Plants expell CO2 and water vapour at night when they aren't photosynthesizing.   Mike was using the bowl and the black cover as a very crude still.   You won't get much water, but when every drop counts...
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2020 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thank you, Rob

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2020 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

“Bad Choice Road”.

Another fantastic episode, and one which definitively erases the line between the Jimmy/Kim and Mike/Gus/cartel halves of the show. Or, more accurately, removes the Jimmy/Kim half of the show. Not them, literally. Just the safe and cozy world they were in. Now, it’s probably gonna be all-cartel, all the time.

It’s therefore fitting that this is the episode where Kim finally does what we’ve long known she’s wanted to do by leaving Schweikart-Cokley and Mesa Verde behind. She also tells Jimmy that she’s there for him no matter what, and is clearly now willing to ignore his lies for the sake of holding the relationship together. On the one hand, her quitting should be the triumphant climax of a long-term character arc. Her taking the tequila stopper (from season two’s “Switch”) is a potent symbolic moment, as well. But, on the other hand, we should all be screaming at her to not leave “the Yankees” behind, because we know what the other half of this show is all about. And it literally comes knocking on the door that very night, in the form of Lalo. And the two halves of this show finally merge into one, after nearly a full five seasons.

The opening teaser’s follow-up to last season’s “Something Stupid” montage (from the episode of the same name) is fantastic, and very appropriate. The original montage was, as far as I’m concerned, the best one they’ve ever done (and that’s saying something), and this mini-sequel also works incredibly well. The original montage was about the growing emotional distance between Jimmy and Kim. This one shows their physical separation in a very visceral way.

Meanwhile, Gus clearly has in mind Nacho’s previous attempts to get out from under the thumbs of both Tuco and Hector when deciding not to let him off the hook. Unfortunately, Nacho has, by necessity (due to the seismic shifts in Jimmy/Saul and Kim’s story), been shortchanged a bit, this season. Here’s hoping he comes more to the forefront in the final season.

Naturally, Jimmy (who is played with incredible vulnerability and fatigue by Odenkirk, here—so much vulnerability, in fact, that he’s off his game in court against ADA Oakley) takes exactly the wrong lesson from both his experience in the desert and Mike’s speech about choices. And his botched recitation of that speech to Kim underscores that point. He’s clearly terrified that she’ll be put in danger by his increasing entrapment with the cartel, and wants her kept safely away, on the “straight” side of things. He’s willfully blind to the bad choices that have inadvertently put him on that road right alongside him. And then Lalo comes knocking.

That final 15 minute sequence is a real knockout. Tense and unnerving. I get the sneaking feeling that they’re leading us to think that Kim might actually be capable of becoming the unseen Mrs. Goodman from between-scenes in BREAKING BAD, considering how she’s willing to accept Jimmy’s lies, and even manages to talk Lalo down. As terrified as she is, she still manages to use that razor-sharp mind which has bailed her out of far, far, FAR less dangerous situations. It’s an incredible moment, and, if I still cared about the Emmys, I’d say that Seehorn and Odenkirk should gosh-darn well be shoo-ins. 

That being said, I have the sneaking suspicion that living as Mrs. Goodman is not a path that Kim can actually go down. There are only three possibilities: She stays, she goes, or she dies. I don’t really see Mr. and Mrs. Goodman having a wonderful life together in-between Sau’s dealings with Walter White, only to then be tragically separated when he goes on the lam as “Gene Takovic”. We’ll see.

One more to go, this season! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2020 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That last segment of the episode had me on the edge of my seat in a way that hasn't happened with a tv show in a looong time. Kim has been my favorite part of this show since it started and knowing that she is likely dead or gone by the time of BB, I was genuinely concerned for her well being during that entire sequence. I was like "Mike! Shoot that f@@@@@r!", lol.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2020 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Kim's masterful head-on challenge of Lalo was possibly the most tense thing I've seen on television in quite some time.   

Her solution, in essense (scary as it was) was to talk to Lalo as if he was another Jimmy.   It was only in that scene -- when the two disparate worlds depicted in the series converged into one -- where you realize that Jimmy and Lalo are really two sides of the same coin.   The same kind of con-man in two different contexts.   

You can't shit another bullshitter.  Jimmy's powers of story turd-polishing completely fell down when faced with someone who is just as good at constructing elaborate tales filled with pizzaz designed to suck in those not paying close enough attention to the fine details.   This was foreshadowed in Jimmy's inability to win a softball case earlier in the day.   He wasn't on his game.  At all.   It was only Kim playing a 'Giselle' of another kind that scraped them through this.

The only let down for me -- and almost pulled me out of the episode -- was how ridiculous Mike looked perched on top of one of the other condos, he was practically glowing from the streetlights.   I have no idea how Lalo didn't see him (or for that matter how Mike found out that Lalo was on his way to have words with Jimmy -- presumably it was Nacho).   Thinking of the logistics here:   Mike needed to get the call, grab his rifle, go to Kim's condo complex, scout a suitable perch, climb the building and get into position.   If Mike was there early then he would have called and warned Jimmy sooner.   The worst thing would be for Lalo to catch Jimmy mid-call so that points to Mike not having a lot of time to get set up.   On second thought, maybe that does explain Mike's poor camouflage...

Sure makes you wonder if Mike was going to shoot Kim to get Lalo.   That's a shot he wasn't willing (or unable) to make at the end of Season 2 to kill Hector (with Nacho standing in front) -- or perhaps as some theories suggest Nacho was his target and he didn't want to kill or injure Hector in the process.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 14 April 2020 at 8:53pm

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2020 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

One other remnant of the previous episode "Bagman" just occured to me, and BB and BCS have never shied away from double meanings -- both for episode names and for character names.

A rough translation of 'bag man' into Spanish = bolsa/bolso hombre.

Sure enough, the man behind the trouble in the episode was Sr. Bolsa.

Another iteration 'bagman' (one word) translates to 'cobrador', meaning collector or cashier -- which is another trait of our Sr. Bolsa.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 14 April 2020 at 9:19pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2020 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Jimmy's powers of story turd-polishing completely fell down when faced with someone who is just as good at constructing elaborate tales filled with pizzaz designed to suck in those not paying close enough attention to the fine details.   This was foreshadowed in Jimmy's inability to win a softball case earlier in the day.   He wasn't on his game.  At all.   It was only Kim playing a 'Giselle' of another kind that scraped them through this.
+++++++

Yeah, it was a bad combination of elements. Jimmy was vulnerable and off-balance from his traumatic experience in the desert, AND he was dealing with the razor-sharp, detail-oriented Lalo, AND Kim was in danger with him. He tried to summon the Saul Goodman magic, but it just didn’t happen. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2020 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

A rough translation of 'bag man' into Spanish = bolsa/bolso hombre.

Sure enough, the man behind the trouble in the episode was Sr. Bolsa.
+++++++

Even if unintended, that’s brilliant.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2020 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Only caught up with this episode tonight.

But man oh man, was that last sequence tense beyond belief! I actually felt drained after watching it. What amazing perfomances. This is really hitting the absolute heights of Breaking Bad now. Maybe even a little better!

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2020 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I've felt from the first season that it's a better show than Breaking Bad. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2020 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

You’re not alone, Christopher.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2020 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The latest INSIDER Podcast reveals that they were deliberately messing with us by making us think that something bad was gonna happen to Kim. The use of oranges (a GODFATHER reference which was also used in BREAKING BAD) triggering Jimmy’s PTSD, Kim being framed dead-center inside the bullet hole as she examines the damaged tumbler, etc.

Almost makes me think they have non-fatal plans for the character, if they’re willing to so gleefully dance around our worst fears for her.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |