Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.09--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2020 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, there are only 36 issues to add to JB’s FF (#232-#295j run to
equal the 100 issue milestones Lee/Kirby. I doubt that powder could
cause such a large itch, but you never know.

Coming to the Fan Fic section is habitual at this point. Such a
wonderful habit. :)
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sidebar: When I started posting these pages last year I mentioned that it seemed as if I had “lost” Peter’s face. In bygone days I had used Max Baer Jr (Jethro Bodine) as my model, but this time I was having trouble finding that groove.

The problem seems to have corrected itself, but recently I have been reading a biography of Jack Demsey, and looking at pictures of his younger self got to wondering if he might have influenced Dave Cockrum’s original design.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

To be honest, I had noticed that of everyone, Peter seemed to "come and go" a bit (a little Wyatt Wingfoot?), and I think Demsey is a perfect mental model (Jethro too!)

All in all, I didn't find the Peter-isms half as remarkable as the fact that ALL the other characters were spot-on. Aren't you yourself a little shocked at how consistent you are capable of being over **40** years! I think very few artist can say the same. I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself, but it is absolutely stunning to see these 'old friends' restored after so long.

I am an engineer by profession and mentality and I find what you do---the spacial insight and knack for framing a scene---a wonder. You were a mere lad of 28-29 when you started the X-MEN, and yet all those skills seemed to have been fully formed! Remarkable.  Are you consciously forcing yourself to stay close to your original style, or does it just flow naturally, like riding a bike?  That's a bit awkwardly worded, but what I mean to say is that if you were to draw these characters for the first time today---they no doubt would turn out differently.  You must have a strong sense of them you are tapping into.

Yesterday, while showing off ELSEWHEN, I was trying to explain to my teen-aged daughter how so much of these MCU movies she loves are rooted in the period when you were drawing and writing their major books (X-men, Avengers, FF). That time was foundational for Marvel.  Sure, it's Stan and Jack's work, but really more second-decade in flavor..

Lastly, I will agree with one of your earlier posts. These pages are best left un-inked. I like the pure stuff.

Edited by Steven Queen on 07 March 2020 at 11:01am

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

**40** years

•••

SHADDAP!!!!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

(Realizing...... it was March 14, 1980, when I quit UNCANNY...)

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

March 14, 1980...

That makes for a weird anniversary of sorts next week.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That day.........

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2020 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Oh, I just got a chill when I scrolled down to THE CHANGELING!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 March 2020 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Working today, I got to thinking about a couple of things I particularly appreciate about the page-a-day “format”.

One, it compels the reader to linger, soaking up a page before flipping to the next.

Two, it eliminates the “failed surprise” effect. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve set up a page to be turned to, only to have the ad flats get shuffled so what was intended as a left page becomes a right, with the reveal revealed too soon.

Both of these only work on first reading, of course.

Scott Sackett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2020 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That urge to linger over the page and study the art is something I feel is missing from digital comics. I don't think that generally digital comics generate the same passion print comics can.

I also feel that your work is perfect for that because you put in enough detail and variety of lineweight, textures and shadows to make the art beg to be studied, but not so much the story is cluttered or obscured.

I have an early TPB copy of The Dark Phoenix Saga that I bought while in art school in the '80s and have carried in my bag everyday* since. I can flip to any page in that book and find interesting art to study.

*The original got signed at NYCC a few years ago, so it stays home and has been replaced in my bag by an identical edition.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 March 2020 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Texture is really where pencils can suffer at the hands of bad inkers. Early on I drew a sequence in one of my issues that called for heavy, rough textures. I even included a margin note: “nothing is smooth”.

Unfortunately, the inker had only ever learned one technique, so he got out his straight edge and his french curve, and by the time he was done everything looked like polished metal and glass.

sigh

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2020 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It will be the longest EVER march ! I miss our
daily dix.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |