Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Disney acquisitions and their history together Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Googling gives no evidence of a SECRET WARS 3 unless you
mean the single issue Beyonder story from FANTASTIC
FOUR.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There was the original Secret Wars in 1984/85. Then there was Secret Wars II in 1985/86.

Then there was another Secret Wars in 2015, which shipped with major delays.

I don't think it's a huge leap to assume this third Secret Wars is what is meant by Secret Wars III.
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I assumed by his description that James was referring to Secret War by Brian Michael Bendis.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Secret War had nothing to do with Secret Wars other than playing off the title.

It was one of those handwringing post-9/11 examinations of superheroes in the age of terrorism. Nick Fury realizes that all the low-level supervillains running around with expensive tech must be getting funding for them from somewhere and traces it to Latveria. He then tricks a bunch of heroes into an attempted overthrow of the Latverian government and then mindwipes them afterward, since many of them were angry that they were manipulated and the whole thing was totes illegal.

Not a great story, but it did introduce Daisy Johnson/Quake, so it was good for having more Chloe Bennet on TV, I suppose. What's hilarious is that in Secret War, Daisy is clearly illustrated as Angelina Jolie in HACKERS.

Secret Wars (2015) followed the Marvel Universe ending in 2015, as the multiverse was destroyed. Doom, using the power of the Beyonders and Molecule Man, was able to salvage the surviving remnants of the multiverse into his own Battleworld consisting of a patchwork of realities, which he ruled over as God Emperor. Not a direct sequel to Secret Wars 1 and 2, but there were the obvious thematic connections.

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

James Woodcock:
Quote: "Secret Wars 3 stands as a perfect comparison of what went wrong with comics - in the whole ‘grounding in reality’ & delays issues."

Not sure if the whole "grounded in reality" should be an ideal to live up to when we're talking about superhumans. It's about finding the right balance between realism and the impossible instead.
I suppose we are talking about two elements here; social realism and laws of nature. In superhuman comics, there will usually be an amount of "social unrealism", where the society is not as effected by the existence of these beings as it would have been in the real world. And credibility doesn't always have to be realistic as long as it's believable. The plausible impossible as Walt Disney called it.
And laws of nature; a new comic book universe can decide how much they want to break them. But for the sake of diversity in the industry, I hope not everybody think the fewer violations, the better. Keeping the rules and inner logic consistent should be enough. And not change what is already established. Shooter mentioned in an interview that he was not especially fond of ideas like Atlantis under the ocean or the Blue Area on the moon.

Jack Bohn:
Come to think of it, Lucasfilm also made the Marvel creation Howard the Duck, originally meant to be animation. But it doesn't appear to have lead to anything back then.

John Byrne:
I have met others in discussion boards who admit they didn't bother to see John Carter because they believed it was a derivative piece of work. For some reason Disney seems to have done their best to hade the fact that the story was based on some science fiction classics that has been enormously influential in the genre. Still, people today have access to the internet, and more information about the original source material, comics and references is just a few clicks away. It surprised me that for instance Avatar did so well while John Carter was a flop. It probably didn't help that talk show hosts like Jay Leno turned the movie into a joke in every episode during the movie's run.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Naming the movie JOHN CARTER I thought was a ridiculous
mistake. Sounds like a political biopic. A PRINCESS OF
MARS is such a great adventure/fantasy title. Struck me
as someone at the studio being embarrassed by the
material as we see so often (always?) in the superhero
movies.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Speaking of Disney/Marvel/Secret Wars:

Though they understandably want a break from big-budget superhero films, the Russo Brothers have mentioned many times that only a SECRET WARS movie would get them back in the director's chairs tomorrow...

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Naming the movie JOHN CARTER I thought was a ridiculous
mistake. Sounds like a political biopic. A PRINCESS OF
MARS is such a great adventure/fantasy title. Struck me
as someone at the studio being embarrassed by the
material as we see so often (always?) in the superhero
movies.

I figured they used the same train of thought that gave us FROZEN, TANGLED, BRAVE...boys don't want to see movies about princesses. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Naming the movie JOHN CARTER I thought was a ridiculous mistake. Sounds like a political biopic. A PRINCESS OF MARS is such a great adventure/fantasy title. Struck me as someone at the studio being embarrassed by the material as we see so often (always?) in the superhero movies.

——-

I thought it was named JOHN CARTER for the same reason RAPUNZEL became TANGLED. Because someone at Disney decided that the failure of THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG meant that boys didn’t want to see movies with a princess in the title. 

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There is also Basil of Baker Street, which was renamed The Great Mouse Detective, even if that's some years ago.

A trailer is supposed to sell a movie to the audience, so the audience needs to know what they are looking at. For those not aware of Burroughs' creation, which appears to a significant amount of the moviegoers, the trailer might have looked a bit confusing. It should have been enough to make science fiction fans curious, but obviously it wasn't.
It's the same with Speed Racer. When I saw the trailer I didn't understand the context; what is supposed to be the future, an alternative timeline, another world or what? The Speed Racer cartoon is perhaps well known in Japan and North America, but that's not necessarily the case in the rest of the world. I had certainly never heard about it before then.

Shaun Barry:
"The Russo Brothers have mentioned many times that only a SECRET WARS movie would get them back in the director's chairs tomorrow..."

It makes me wonder how long one can use the concept of huge cosmic events before the audience lose interest. The latest Ant-Man movie was on a much smaller scale, which was refreshing.
I read somewhere that the Beyonder can be seen as a metaphor for readers wanting to see lots of supervillains fighting against lots of superheroes (similar to the horror movie The Cabin in the Woods).

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 June 2020 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I thought it was named JOHN CARTER for the same reason RAPUNZEL became TANGLED. Because someone at Disney decided that the failure of THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG meant that boys didn’t want to see movies with a princess in the title.

•••

They’d also bombed with the ill-considered MARS NEEDS MOMS, a deep dive into the Uncanny Valley. So a double whammy.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 June 2020 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I read somewhere that the Beyonder can be seen as a metaphor for readers wanting to see lots of supervillains fighting against lots of superheroes …

••

There was an old BC newspaper strip in which the titular character discovers that "CLAMS GOT LEGS!" The Forum's own Paul Gibney, working in a comic shop in the late Seventies, paraphrased this as "FANS GOT BUCKS!" and thus explained everything that seemed to be going on in comics right up to this day.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |