Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 55 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.12--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Reminder: The inside of John Byrne's mind is very dark. And the floors are sticky.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

...It's like Stan used to say, trust the characters and they'll tell you the stories they want to be in.
--------------------------------------------
This. and the stories flow much more naturally!

That last page - soon as I saw it, my heart skipped a beat. John, having you back writing drawing X-men again is happiness.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB: No break for me, Andrew! I’ll be continuing to plug away each day, inching ahead of those ever encroaching (albeit self-imposed) deadlines.

I wish more writers and artists had your commitment and work ethic, JB. It wouldn't solve all the problems of the industry but it would help enormously.
Thanks, JB!

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Whether Phoenix is a cosmic-boosted Jean or Jean plus a powerful entity, it was so clearly Mastermind who messed the whole thing up. Why can't people just accept that?

Really excited to see how this turns out. As far as I'm concerned, this is the canon.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"If we look at the origin of Phoenix in 101, we definitely come away with a big WTF moment"

--

I mean, look at that. She sure sounds like she's possessed, doesn't she? Why would Jean decide right then and there to create a new costume for herself? Not to mention coming up with a new codename out of the blue? Why would she refer to rest of the X-Men as if they were strangers? It certainly seems inconsistent with the rest of the Phoenix saga as published. I guess kids just ate this up without question in 1976. But if this were released today, I'd think that there'd be nothing but scrutiny.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 26 June 2020 at 1:44pm

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wow. She's literally telling us she's not Jean. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I found the “instant origin” of Phoenix somewhat off-putting, tho I understood it was shaped mostly by two things: a barely profitable title shouting “Over Here! Over Here!” plus Dave’s desire to Draw Cool Stuff. On the latter point I can fault him not at all.

Still, as noted, Chris’ dialog is strange. Applying later knowledge, we might view this as Phoenix manifesting and then Jean grabbing control back. Or a copy of Jean, if you prefer.

Chris Wood
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"And your last action in this world will be to witness my final transfiguration."

Great dialog! I'll avoid speculation, but am I reading too much into the future tense of that statement? July 6 can't come soon enough!

Phillip L Lightfoot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There is also a scene in issue #105 where "something" tries to force Jean to kill Firelord and ignore the X-Men's plight. Also in #108, when Storm offers her life-force to help Jean fix the M'Krann crystal, "something" says "Ahhh, yesss..." just before Jean yells "No!".  We knew even back then, that something was really wrong here.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As great as Jean looks in the final panel, I'm transfixed by the look of sadness and fear on Xavier's face.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

>> ...your last action in this world... <<

Damn!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2020 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB wrote:
.... Applying later knowledge, we might view this as Phoenix manifesting and then Jean back grabbing control. Or a copy of Jean, if you prefer...

It really does seem to fit in hindsight: Phoenix, in the next panel even says, "My mind-- burning-- So many memories... sensations-- pain! Inside... tearing me apart! What's happening to me? What have I done?!" Before she collapses back into the water. She then spends the next few issues recovering at the hospital. That seems like a form of serendipity to me!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 55 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |