Posted: 06 July 2020 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Did anyone write more evocative scores?

Great composer! 
Back to Top profile | search

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2020 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Did anyone write more evocative scores?

I'd say no. I can remember exactly the moment I saw TGTBTU for the first time (must've been 10 or 11 years old) glued to the TV one Sunday afternoon, my jaw on the floor. Morricone's score was one of the main reasons for that.

The "Ecstasy of Gold" sequence has to be the best scored moment in the history of cinema. On top of Morricone's genius and Leone's incredible direction, Eli Wallach does a mixing of acting and performance art, almost like a dance, that's mystifying.

Since we're sharing, here's Metallica playing said song in a hard rock tempo. Notice the crowd singing the melody along. Talk about a popular classical composer!

Rest in Peace Mr. Morricone, you'll be remembered forever.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2020 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I can remember exactly the moment I saw TGTBTU for the first time (must've been 10 or 11 years old) glued to the TV one Sunday afternoon, my jaw on the floor. Morricone's score was one of the main reasons for that.
I had the exact same experience, Rodrigo. Just flipping channels (pre-remote control days) one weekend day around the same age, came across it and was MESMERIZED. TGTBATU is a half hour too long, poorly dubbed and some of the grainy film stock was expired (gotten cheaply by Leone to save money purportedly) but it matters not in the least. The good (and bad and ugly) parts are so transcendant that the movie is mostly invulnerable to serious criticism. Morricone's contribution is central to that achievement.

The "Ecstasy of Gold" sequence has to be the best scored moment in the history of cinema. On top of Morricone's genius and Leone's incredible direction, Eli Wallach does a mixing of acting and performance art, almost like a dance, that's mystifying.
Again, we're in lockstep. When I ran marathons, I listened to music. I always tried to time "Ecstasy of Gold" to be one of the last songs I would listen to as I approached the finish line (in my most exhausted state) because it is that exhilarating / uplifting, particularly in the context of the images and editing with which it's paired. Next level filmmaking.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2020 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

One of the greats. I'm glad he lived a full life.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A giant in his field, truly a giant. So sad that he is gone -- with someone that talented, it's a massive loss whenever they go.

Perhaps best remembered for Westerns (A Fistful of Dollars, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon A Time in the West and Two Mules for Sister Sara are favourites), but there was so, so much more to his scoring: Once Upon A Time in America, The Untouchables and The Mission are just a few wonderful and memorable scores by the Maestro.

Riposare in pace, Maestro.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |