Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 46 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.13--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It’s a little trick I used to play when sketching at cons. I’d reach some point in the drawing that didn’t really need close attention (the hair on Wolverine’s arms, for instance) and I’d look up at whoever I was speaking to while my hand went on working.

“He’s drawing without looking!”

tee hee

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This sequence with Dark Phoenix, Wolverine and Kitty is amazing - just a pitch
perfect take on these characters at the height of a pivotal moment in the story.

I'm grateful for the thought bubbles and narration so this project dovetails
nicely from the original series, but the best treat with this project for me is the
dialogue. JB hadn't scripted the "new" team before this, and it's been a
delight to hear these folks. It's a return to seeing the team by the artist who
defined them, and a bonus is the feeling I had when first reading JB's
FANTASTIC FOUR. The dialogue is crisper and distinct to the characters.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

BALLOONS!!!!!!!!!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Balloons! Ugh - I always mix those up

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Remember, they were dubbed “balloons” because that was what they looked like—round shapes with “strings” attached.

Thought balloons evolved their own distinctive shapes later, and those do, indeed, look like bubbles—but it’s not what they’re called.

(Unfortunately, largely because of the hugely popular movies, civilians have started using the terms, and using them incorrectly. I heard John Oliver the other night refer to “speech bubbles”.)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Been away for a while, so have been lucky enough to have part of last issue and all the available pages of the current issue to catch up on.

Favourite bit of all those pages is the 'helping hand' that appears to help Wolverine. In a way, I'd have preferred if you hadn't jumped back in the narrative to show it from Kitty's perspective, just because it was so much fun to just have the lone hand appear and pull Wolverine away without too much fanfare. Though it is also fun to be along for the ride with Kitty and be privy to her musings about how Wolverine's adamantium bones make him hard to phase into the ground. Those kinds of touches really add an extra sparkle to proceedings. 

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB: It’s a little trick I used to play when sketching at cons. I’d reach some point in the drawing that didn’t really need close attention (the hair on Wolverine’s arms, for instance) and I’d look up at whoever I was speaking to while my hand went on working.

“He’s drawing without looking!”

Now I really regret not seeing you drawing at a con. I did get a chance to see you in person (and you signed MAN OF STEEL #1 for me) but it's just not the same.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2020 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And doesn't "word balloons" just sound better than "word bubbles"?

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

General comment - I feel the the X-Men are referring to each other with their civilian names an awful lot.  Not just this issue, but in previous ones as well.

Personal preference - I prefer them to refer to their codenames when in action or in public.  Use of their real names is OK in "downtime" (say in costume, but in the mansion or in the Blackbird) or in civilian identities (out of costume).  (In thoughts, it is OK to reference civilian names.)

I understand right now they are all in the presence of "family" even while fighting, but I personally feel that in combat it doesn't sound "right" for Wolverine to say "Summers" as opposed to, say, "Cyke" if not "Cyclops".  I think the dichotomy between superhero identity and civilian self is important to preserve even if only for meta-narrative purpose.  (I can't believe I just wrote that.)

Also, I prefer the terms Speech Balloons and Thought Bubbles.  Hope this will not get me banned.  ;)

Really, really, really enjoying these last few issues.  While I've enjoyed the previous issues, they were "just" entertaining.  Right now, it seems like the "magic" is present.  The feeling I only got when my favorite creators were at the heights of their classic runs.

Thank you so much for doing this JB!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 3:41am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Personal preference - I prefer them to refer to their codenames when in action or in public. Use of their real names is OK in "downtime" (say in costume, but in the mansion or in the Blackbird) or in civilian identities (out of costume). (In thoughts, it is OK to reference civilian names.)

•••

This is precisely what I’ve been doing.

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Woah!!! Was not expecting that!  Nicely played JB...

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2020 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

And doesn't "word balloons" just sound better than "word bubbles"?

••

I think so!!!!!

<< Prev Page of 46 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |