The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: President Biden, Being Presidential Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You are leaving out the beginning of Pompeo's comment:

"...there will be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration."

You need to provide sources, John W - you're taking out of your ass.

Back to Top profile | search

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Tim, I agree that he said that.  If you watch the video, he is clearly joking.  The joke was ill timed and in bad taste, so reporters pressed him on it, and then he made the more serious statements that I quoted in previous posts.  

Here is the whole interaction on Youtube:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pompeo+transition+of+po wer&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dpompeo%2btransition%2bof %2bpower%26FORM%3dHDRSC4&view=detail&mid=FA4C2A7D675 16A8E52D5FA4C2A7D67516A8E52D5&rvsmid=E30229A53A7217856B2 AE30229A53A7217856B2A&FORM=VDQVAP

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Even most people who agree with his policies vote for him because
they see him as the lesser of two evils.

The people who agree with his policies don’t see him as evil at all.
They’re racist, sexist, crybaby bullies just like he is. That’s why he won
in the first place. His base doesn’t see him as the lesser of anything.
Why do you keep refusing to see him for what he is?

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If Trump is alive and healthy in 2024 he will most definitely run again.  I'm not ready to hazard a guess as to whether he will win the nomination, though.  It depends a lot on how he behaves in the next 2 months, and how that affects the public's perception of him.  Trump has conducted his entire political career as though it's a WWE angle, so I imagine the endgame for him will be to spend the next four years saying he was jobbed and that he's still the rightful champion (er, I mean president) and that he wants a rematch to reclaim his belt (er, I mean office). 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If every state had a results site like Vermont then it would be VERY difficult to claim fraud. Has anyone had a look at the granularity? I saw this referenced on Colbert. They even have all the write in candidates down to incorrect spellings.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If you watch the video, he is clearly joking.

BULLSHIT.  And it's clear you like to pretend the orange one won.  HE LOST. BY A LOT!

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Not much of a reader, Kevin?  I've stated several times in this thread that Trump clearly lost the election, and that in my opinion they won't find enough evidence of fraud to flip a single state.  

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

John Wickett wrote:
We don't know exactly when Trump will concede, but listening to Pompeo, it sounds like they are preparing for a transition.
He doesn't say that they are currently preparing for a transition.  He claims that *if* there is a transition, it will be a smooth one.  It sounds like to me like he's saying that any such preparations will only begin after the Electoral College has voted.

Also, I would dispute the notion that he's "clearly joking" with his statement about a second Trump term.  In what way does he indicate he is joking?  It's true that he smiles slightly after he makes the statement, but he also smiles slightly and even chuckles while making his statement that "There's a process, the Constitution lays it out pretty clearly."  And I don't think anyone would argue he's joking when he says that.

Pompeo is certainly smart enough to know there will be no second Trump term.  He's just engaging in the same sort of enabling behavior as other Republicans, something that is probably politically advantageous but terribly destructive in the way it undermines faith in the insitution of voting. 

It's apt that he invokes the delayed results of the 2000 election as an example of how a transition can be smooth even if results are delayed.  By all accounts, that transition was not at all smooth.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Jason, as to whether Pompeo was joking, I guess we are reading him differently.

I agree with your point about Pompeo being smart enough to know there will be no second term, which is why I think its likely there is more transition prep happening behind the scenes than we are aware of.

I think Republicans generally agree with the notion that Trump has the right to challenge the results, and that is all Pompeo is saying here.  In fact, that is what I hear from most Republican politicians (with a few exceptions)  I think very few people believe there is a realistic chance of the election being overturned.  

To the extent there are enablers, the obvious ones are conservative media pundits.  They are the ones pushing large scale conspiracy theories.  If you want to accuse them of undercutting the public's faith in the election results, you would get no argument from me.

I would also lay some of the blame on Biden.  In the first debate he was asked point blank: "Will you urge your supporters to say calm while the vote is counted?  And will you pledge not to declare victory until the election is independently certified?"  Biden's answer was: "Yes. Here's the deal.  We count the ballots. And as you pointed out, some of these ballots in some states can't even be opened until election day.  And if there's thousands of ballots its going to take time to do it."  Clearly Biden has not stood by his commitment.  None of the states have certified their counts yet.  Most are not even done counting.  

If Biden did what he said he was going to do, Pompeo and others wouldn't be in the position of having to justify why Trump hasn't conceded yet.

A lot of these legal challenges may be resolved by the time the election results are certified.  Some suits have already been dismissed.  A few were dropped voluntarily after the causes for apparent "glitches" were found to have reasonable explanations. 

Yes the 2000 transition was more difficult than normal, but we are still a month away from the time when Gore conceded.  If Trump hasn't conceded by mid December, then we'll have a problem.  I just don't think there is a crisis on hand concerning the transition of power today. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Meanwhile, in the real world....

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John Wickett wrote:
I would also lay some of the blame on Biden. In the first debate he was asked point blank: "Will you urge your supporters to say calm while the vote is counted? And will you pledge not to declare victory until the election is independently certified?" Biden's answer was: "Yes. Here's the deal. We count the ballots. And as you pointed out, some of these ballots in some states can't even be opened until election day. And if there's thousands of ballots its going to take time to do it." Clearly Biden has not stood by his commitment. None of the states have certified their counts yet. Most are not even done counting.

By that standard, no incoming President should have ever claimed victory before December, when certifications are done. OTOH, why rush? "Well, they're not REALLY the winner of the election until the Electoral College votes..."

Biden followed the same rules everyone's followed for decades - wait for the networks/what have you to call the election and react accordingly. There are always votes left to count when Election Day is over. Maybe not enough to change the projected outcome, but they're there.

QUOTE:
If Biden did what he said he was going to do, Pompeo and others wouldn't be in the position of having to justify why Trump hasn't conceded yet.

Biden has nothing to do with it. Most concessions occur no later than the day after the election. Longer if the outcome is still in doubt. But once it's called, the clock starts. If Biden had quietly declined to do anything until Trump conceded or formal certification had completed, Trump's crew would still be getting the same questions.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ah. It's Biden's fault the Trumpublicans won't admit defeat. I see it so
clearly now.

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |