Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 50 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.18--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I assumed Oracle's cybernetic parts are a result of damage sustained versus Lillandra-Phoenix (or maybe the character was always meant to be a half-cyborg).

••

Your first assumption is correct.

I hoped that the Guard turning up in diminished numbers, with some of them missing parts, would be enough to inform readers of what had happened in that battle. (The previously shown death of Manta serves this purpose, too.)

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Incidentally, the monster confronting Teri and Ashley I drew originally as the same beastie seen in the first encounter with the Imperial Guard. But I ran into one of Dave Cockrum's mutant powers again--his ability to draw things that look quite goofy when another artist tries to handle them.

So, electric eraser to the rescue, and a whole different creature appears--one that's probably just as goofy, but in my own way!

(This effect is also seen in the upcoming--sort of--rematch with the N'agari demons. As with Kitty's Christmas adventure, I moved away from Dave's original design, and created a whole flock of my own demons. This is on pages I skipped ahead to draw, of course, to get them out of my head.)

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

SO much speculation........

All of it WRONG.

Reminds me of a phrase I have used many times when encountering a fan going off about behind the scenes activity at Marvel. "Now, where was your office, again?"

For the record, "not getting enough credit" was NEVER part of my reasoning when deciding to leave the X-MEN.

Scott Wagahoff
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I hoped that the Guard turning up in diminished numbers, with some of them missing parts, would be enough to inform readers of what had happened in that battle. (The previously shown death of Manta serves this purpose, too.)

I'm not sure how anyone missed that either. Admittedly, I have been guilty of sometimes missing what some might consider obvious clues, but still. Happily, when I do it almost always leads to moments of "oh wow". 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Some fans have been trained, alas, to think that NOTHING is every as it seems. And, to be fair, I have drawn from that well a few times myself. (I find it preferable to "everything you know is a lie", which I think is just lazy writing.)

But SOMETIMES, more often that not, really, things are JUST what they seem.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Oh man! X-men PLEASE kick the Legion of Super-heroes'/IGs' asses.

I've been waiting for payback ever so long..(and their arrogance is insufferable!)

Edited by Steven Queen on 08 January 2021 at 10:46am

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I especially like the top panel. Something about the flow is very pleasing to my eye.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
I'm not sure how anyone missed that either.

Even I got it, and that's saying something!

As I was going through the page of speculation JB mentioned, I saw a familiar panel wherein Wolverine takes a clawed swipe at Nightcrawler for kissing Mariko on the cheek.

Did Logan do that knowing Nightcrawler could and would teleport out of harm's way?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB: "After spending a dozen issues setting up the Imperial Guard, I'd suddenly throw in ringers? Ringers that would need vast amounts of explanation? WHY??"

No insult intended, Mr. Byrne. To be fair, you're a well of surprises, sir. Yes, you might throw in ringers, for a good story (Fantastic Four #251.) I would put nothing past you. :) Yes, the vast majority of your stories are "what you see is real" - but not always.

And I guess I AM blind as a bat, but the only IG'er I saw after Dark Phoenix' attack on them was Oracle who appeared half cyborg - but we didn't know much about her to begin with. Could she have been a cyborg? Possible. Could those be repairs? Maybe, but such repairs were never offered (or shown) with Professor Xavier - who A) would greatly benefit from them on his legs, and B) would be most entitled to them as consort to the Majestrix.

I didn't see any other signs of Dark Phoenix' attack, so perhaps others who DID would let me know where these appeared? 

And Mr. Byrne, please accept my observations as they were intended - compliment, not criticism.

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Lillandra-Phoenix dismantles the Imperial Guard in the back half of issue #12.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, Wallace, I guess there’s something of an answer in what happened after Kurt pecked HIM on the cheek!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2021 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This is a pretty awful time for the X-Men to take on the Imperial Guard. They're scattered, recovering from their fight with Dark Phoenix (not to mention Lilandra), and Jean is nullified to boot.
Wow, I mean, I know they say set your heroes a real steep challenge but this...!

<< Prev Page of 50 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |