Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Mass media or fake news? Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

Not sure what the “white privilege” part means either.

——-

Yes, we know! :D
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

Wow. I meant NOTHING but a play on words. Yes, NBA star Lew Alcindor changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.  The entirety of the joke was that I wanted a first name that wasn't quite so Muslim sounding, and I thought the name "Israel" was pretty accurately a Jewish sounding name. (It is a Jewish name, and while Shlomo and Moishe worked, I didn't think people would recognize them generally.)

That's the entirety of it. I intended no intentions, implied no implications, accused no accusations. No white privilege. I hoped the smileys would show it was just to be a little funny. Guess I missed the mark, somehow...

As for white privilege... that's a whole different world from what I wanted to say!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

When someone says that I have a male privilege, I don't freak out about it. I have male privilege. I have blind spots about the female experience because I do not experience the world as female, and I need to be conscious of the fact that I have blind spots. That's all that means.

When I say it was a dad joke steeped in white privilege, I am aware that there were no intentions behind it. That was the point I was making. It seems like a silly dad joke to you, but there's a history of mocking people with non-Anglo names as a means to othering minorities. So it seems harmless to one group of people who have no ill intentions, but it comes across as confusing over the intent at best and xenophobic at worst to others.

Look at all the Republicans who purposely mispronounce Kamala Harris' name. It's six fucking letters and three fucking syllables. No one freaks out over a name like Tamara. People can be forgiven about not knowing where to emphasize the syllable, but when Senator Perdue says "Kamala-male-mala-whatever", he's making the point that she's not one of us.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 29 January 2021 at 4:43pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

When I was a kid I believed that White people had it better than a guy like me. I don't believe that anymore. White people take it in the ass as hard as any other people in this country. Don't let this white privilege stuff get to you. It's a cleverly crafted, racist lie. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

There's all kinds of privilege. Privilege does not mean you don't have to work hard to get by, it just means there's something that makes it easier for you. Living in the USA is a privilege. Race and gender can be a privilege. Not being born into poverty is a privilege. Not having a disability is a privilege.

We need to stop denying privilege exists. It's like telling the guy in the wheelchair how lucky he is because he gets a special parking spot.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

We also need to stop pointing it out with smug glee as a means of shutting someone down. "Check your privilege" is a terrible phrase designed to silence and stifle debate. 

Everyone has privilege in some form or another. You should never be forced to feel guilt over your privilege. It's how you use your privilege that is important. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2021 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

We also need to stop pointing it out with smug glee as a means of shutting someone down.

------

This is akin to Christians, being the majority religion in the US, claiming that they are persecuted.

Asking someone to recognize their privilege is not a means of shutting them down. It's trying to get them to listen to a perspective outside of their own experience. Just fucking listen and stop trying to filter everything through your perspective.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 8  

Recognize your privilege and check your privilege are two different things. 

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 9  

White privilege is a "racist lie"? Holy fuck, Joe.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 10  

On the Joe Rogan podcast, Matthew McConaughey mentioned how different types of privilege helped him get to where he is now, it still didn't take away from the fact that he still has to work hard. 

He mentioned one of the privileges is being raised by two parents. As a teacher, and being raised by two loving parents, I can see where a lot of kids don't have that and it really hit home with me.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 11  

OK, here's a real conversation I have had with someone -
they found nothing wrong in saying what they said to me.

I've got no problem with people form other countries, or
different skin colour, but what I cannot understand, is
when they move here, or are born here, why do they keep
using names that we cannot pronounce.
Why don't they start to use names like what we use?

That conversation was not the first time I have heard
that sentiment.
Anyone want to defend it? Anyone want to defend the
thought process, the status that goes behind it?

My response was to ask whether he would name his child a
Chinese name if he moved to China.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2021 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 12  

My Chinese name is Ling How. My students and Chinese friends use English names when talking to English-speaking foreigners because they know we have a hard time pronouncing their names. When people can’t pronounce my English name, they can use my Chinese one. Basic politeness. 

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |