Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB re Avengers 164-166 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

From that article:

"During the Byrne era, the X-Men was both a commercial and critical blockbuster doing its own small part to bringing fans and readers into the kinds of comics that we would all experience in the ’80s."

A typical example, here, of "My experience must represent the whole experience" thinking. I've encountered this many times, in fans who think that because they bought the book, EVERYONE must have been buying the book.* (It's why so many fans were shocked when their favorite books got canceled.)

X-MEN was, as most of you know, far from a commercial success. Chris and I were constantly one step ahead of the cancelation axe thru our whole run. It wasn't until the speculators started to take over the market that the book gained a solid footing.

----------------

* I've mentioned before the fan at MidOhioCon who insisted I must be a millionaire because of my work on UNCANNY X-MEN, refusing to accept that (a) there were no royalties in those days and, (b) even if there had been the book did not sell well enough to generate more than a pittance.

Back to Top profile | search

Ed Fahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB: I just checked, btw, and that last big panel of Thor vs Nefaria was, indeed, drawn by Dave Cockrum. I don’t recall why. 

I have seen the art JB did for that last panel with Thor. If I recall it was pasted over with the Cockrum art and was underneath. It was superior to what was printed in my opinion. I searched on line but cannot find a pic. It's still on my old computer I think.

Ed Fahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Did you often suggest zip-a-tone, and specific ones at that, JB?

And I can almost feel the energy coming of Mjolnir! Wow!

I have no recollection of what the Cockrum page is that took the place
of this one.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I used to sometimes suggest zip. As often, with some inkers, I would ask that they NOT use it!

(One inker had a fondness for a zip pattern that clashed with the color line screen, covering the panel with little flowers!)

Scott Sackett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That pencil art is pretty awesome!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post. I figured I'd post a few questions for JB about an Avengers arc I "discovered" and I was pleasantly surprised to find it resonated with so many other people too.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It’s amazed me, over the years, how many people hold that arc as a high point not only in my career, but in Avengers history!

Jason Ladwig
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't know if this is the thread to ask, JB did you have input on all aspects of a comic(what to draw, story arc, etc)from the get go? If not, at what point in your career did you get to have more say?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

X-MEN 113 is the point at which I reached maximum input short of actual scripting.

Chris muddied the credits, as he often did (unconsciously?) diminishing my role by listing us as “raconteurs”. Terry he listed as “embellisher”, a term normally used when the penciler did breakdowns, leaving the inker to finish things up. Which was not the case on that issue.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This was a lovely read, and an interesting look into how things really were back then.Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread.

I've always been fond of this arc myself. I just love how it keeps escalating and getting more and more exciting. My first experience of it though was in the black and white British reprints. And to this day, it's sort of how I most immediately remember it.

So seeing the original JB art for that last page cliffhanger feels like I really am seeing like the comic book equivalent of a deleted scene. A real treat!!

Edited by Jason Scott on 25 June 2021 at 1:03pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It’s amazed me, over the years, how many people hold that arc as a high point not only in my career, but in Avengers history!

I loved the softcover MARVEL MASTERWORKS and I love the EPIC COLLECTIONS with sometimes up to 450 pages, but I wish there was room for short reprints of 48-64 pages, like the European or older American graphic novels--I would love to see this 3-parter collected as its own edition.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thor's body language in JB's panel may be more fitting for a god's arrival, but Dave brought more energy, IMO. My guess would be 2021 JB would more closely align with Dave's work rather than his previous work. (I don't like the look of shock on Nefaria's face in Dave's work. Don't really gib with the rest of the story as far as I can remember.)

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |