Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Q: Those Halcyon Days Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2024 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

When was Marvel at its peak, creatively?
Not necessarily individual runs on titles but overall, what period of time would we think might be Marvel's high-water mark in terms of storytelling, art, etc.?
For me, I feel like it was the late 70s into the 80s. The new generation of writers and artists were expanding on the foundations Stan, Jack and Steve had laid down, new ideas were taking root, and some of the greatest stories the company had seen (or would see) were being told.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 April 2024 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mid Sixties thru mid Seventies.

Those years covered the laying of the foundations, the hardest part.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2024 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There have been various peaks and valleys... I've been lucky enough to have read, besides reprints, a fair chunk of the '60s Marvels back when a lot of them could be had for affordable prices although it was hit and miss on what you could actually find of it. A high average in story and art I'd say was 1965-66, and again 1969-70... 1975-76... 1979-80... 1982-83... 1990-91... 1998-99. Just my experience and maybe trying to see better overall than there was to some extent; there would still be titles with less stability then that peaked at some other point, 1968 or 1981 were hardly 'bad' years.

As it was 1979 when I got hooked that's the most 'golden' year to me.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 20 April 2024 at 4:27pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2024 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The creativity was at a peak in the 60s when they were mining gold. The art in the early 80s had moved on in terms of style to something that I prefer, but nostalgia plays a part in that. Styles moved on in the 90s and later also, though I would hesitate to call it better. It's just different, and I think what people prefer may reflect more about when they were young rather than being necessarily about quality.

The Marvel of the early 80s definitely has a special place in my affections, and objectively I think there was an upswing in quality around then, but hard to say it eclipses that fertile period in the 60s.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2024 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Personally i think from about 1972 to 1981 was the pinnacle
of art/story/creativity for Marvel.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2024 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If you look at the six or seven years that followed FF #1, it's hard not to see that as the absolute pinnacle. Hulk, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Thor, The X-Men, Avengers. Of course, this was coming from a handful of people in the early days.

For me, the much of the 70's was weaker on a lot of titles (although there was still some great stuff out there).

My vote goes for 1979 to around 1983 for another great period (when the 14 year old me was devouring the X-Men, DD, Avengers, Alpha Flight, FF, Iron Man...!)

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2024 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There were any number of peaks and valleys in the Marvel Comics story, sometimes at the same time. But I can't but think any other time than the 60s as the benchmark for the best.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2024 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I agree that the mid '60's is where Marvel got their groove. 
Personally I love a lot of the  story arcs from the early seventies, kind of hit or miss mid seventies, then just adore '77 thru '80.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2024 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The pinnacle is whatever the time period was when you were a child and first started reading comics (and whatever Marvel was reprinting at that time).  So for me, mid 60s to 1980.

I literally stopped buying and reading comics one issue before JB started on X-Men.  I am still looking for his rather pricey first issue!

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2024 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

From Fantastic Four #1 to Kirby's first departure.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2024 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Great comments! And thanks to all for giving terrific reasons for every suggestion.
I can readily agree that Marvel was amazing in its earliest days--that multi-year debut of heroes and villains might only be rivaled by the explosion of superhero storytelling that followed the creation of Superman and then Batman.
I started reading comics in '72, around eight years old, and so I missed out on the early days. I caught up later but to me, when I started reading. Marvel was already post-Stan/post-Jack and, in retrospect, maybe feeling a sophomore slump by then. 
That said, catching up on the stories I missed confirms why Marvel caught on. It was so different from what came before, it really was a revolution.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 22 April 2024 at 6:03pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |