Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Worst Cars Ever? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 April 2024 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

LINK

Sorry to see the Prowler on this list—tho admittedly I haven’t driven one.

Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2024 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

When my folks divorced in the early 80's mom ending up getting a Vega from a family friend, I assume it was a freebie or close to it. I assure you the issues with rust and corrosion were valid - there were holes all over the floor of that thing! Mom always said she had the strongest leg in the world trying to work its clutch too.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2024 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Not shocked at all to see my first car on the list!  My 1976 Ford Mustang II was an anemic little tank with a 4 speed manual.  But I loved that thing.

Funny story (hopefully)..

I was in college (1983 at Columbus College of Art and Design) and my mom called up the pay-phone at my apartment build where I lived.  No cell phones in the early 80’s.  I take the call and she informed me that she bought me a car!  So after I stop screaming and ask her what kind of car she says “Son, it’s a baby blue classic Mustang!”  “Classic?!” I asked her.  “Yup! A ‘66 with a 4 speed stick!”  So I thank her profusely, run up to the apartment where my room is and friends were hanging out and informed them that I have a car waiting for me in Detroit.  Since between all my friends there was only 1 other car, having a second was a big deal!  We IMMEDIATELY planned a road trip to Myrtle Beach!  

Me and my friend with the car drive to Detroit from Columbus in the middle of the night and arrive in Detroit at nearly 2am.  And in the driveway of my mom’s house is a 1976 Ford Mustang II!  1976! Not 1966!  After my buddy stops laughing, we go inside and wake up my mom and I asked her about the year mix up.  She laughed and told me that after she hung up the phone she called the family friend who found the car for her to confirm what year the car was.  And she found out that it was a 1976.  

There was more laughing but I didn't care. My first car.  A gift for doing well in school.  I thanked her profusely, took the keys and immediately followed my buddy in his car back to Columbus.   We were kids so the lack of sleep wasn’t a factor!  And yes, the moment we arrived back in Columbus we packed some stuff in some bags and drove from Columbus, Ohio nearly non stop to Myrtle Beach with probably $200 between the 6 of us.  And we had a BLAST!  Until it was time to start my new car up again at the hotel.  And it did NOT turn over! 

“OH SHIT!”

But we were there on the beach, and we decided to enjoy the few days we had and worry about the car later.  And sure enough when it was time to leave, Big Blue started up and ran like a fucking champ all the way back to Columbus!  

The pic is of me driving back from the beach with my buds, taken by my other buds in the other car.  And shortly after this pic was taken my buddy’s car had a blowout on the highway at 70mph!  

Damn good times!

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 26 April 2024 at 9:00pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2024 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And with the Landau top! Nice story David.

Vega's could be a fun car to tinker with, a buddy had a black one back in the late eighties and we were always trying to do something to it.

The Pacer is so bad it's on the list twice! But the Yugo, woof, the worst! 

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2024 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

some of those "worst" cars had some style!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2024 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

…the Yugo…

•••

Back in the day, CONSUMER REPORTS said ANY used car was preferable to the Yugo!!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2024 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Ha!

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2024 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Grrr... the Prowler DOES NOT deserve to be anywhere on or near that list.

This sort of thing really gets my goat, and those who know me may recall that it takes a lot to shake my timid, easy-going nature.

Most of these absurdly hyperbolic lists clearly have as their Raison D'etre¹ the unspoken goal of allowing the grossly ignorant and lazy alike to more readily put on blase affectations of detailed knowledge wherever morons typically coagulate to discuss popular topics while seeking out new gene-pool polluting mating opportunities.

A recent episode of Jay Leno's Garage covers the Prowlers strengths and weaknesses as Jay Leno & Designer Chip Foose take it for a spin.

It's a beautiful car, and is still fairly quick going by what Chip and Jay show us. It's not, and never has been, a monster racer or the weak drag queen everybody wants to make it out to be; its main sin was to come out around the same time as the more lethal Viper, and thus forever be cast as Jan Brady to venomous snake's Marsha.

Ironically, the Prowler's more legit retro hot rod look only resuled in ridiculously unattainable expectations of performance in the pre-horsepower renaissance dark days of the 1990s. A time when drab Camrys, Altimas and Accords could match or beat most muscle cars.

Nowadays, my '21 Mustang can grind almost all previous musclecars into the ground and reach Ferrari-like speeds. And before you environmentalists get mad, understand that I specifically sought out the special Greta Thunberg (GT) approved model

------------

¹ One of many pretentious-sounding words I inject into my writings to appear intelligent. Relax, it's just referes to a French dish consisting of raisins derived from sour grape varieties, mixed into overly-generous lashings of ennui, served cold via enema.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2024 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I get annoyed when I see the Edsel turn up on these lists.

From what I’ve read, it really wasn’t a bad car. More than anything it was a victim of bad timing. Americans just were not looking for what the Edsel had to offer in that moment.

Unfortunately, the failure of the Edsel pretty much created it as the default setting for “bad car”.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2024 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I raised an eyebrow about the actual research for this list the second I read, when describing the Cadillac Cimarron, "...when Cadillac was still a GM product." Still?

And yes I never thought of the Prowler as a street Rod, more of a cool weekend cruiser back then.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2024 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Found another list that has the PT Cruiser. Lots of complaints about function and odd quirks (horn honking on its own).

I’ve had my Cruiser for almost 24 years, and never had a whisper of complaint.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2024 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My parents had a Chevette. It's the car I learned to drive manual on. The reverse gear gave out but the car was small and light enough to push into spaces when I needed to parallel park.

Edited by David Miller on 27 April 2024 at 9:07pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |