Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 256 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mostly Harmless, the fifth book of the Hitchhiker's Trilogy. Mostly rambling. I've read it before but I remember none of it.

Brad - if you are reading these for the first time, stick with them. They tend to lose focus quite a bit, but Adams usually gets back around to his point. Eventually.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 3:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mostly Harmless, the fifth book of the Hitchhiker's Trilogy. Mostly rambling. I've read it before but I remember none of it.

••

The one that stands as stark evidence of why some authors should never, ever return to their earlier works. Especially not if they have experienced "epiphanies" in their lives since writing them!

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 4:59am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sometimes, I wonder if it's the "cash cow" thing that brings 'em back.  Especially for those authors who live to see their work become a best seller.  It's one thing that probably makes me a relieved that JRR Tolkein never got to see what they did to his Lord of the Rings trilogy, as he had passed while still not completing the Silmarillion stories that were based upon its background.  Nothing he could've done would've topped the epic which he created, so late in life.

For my part, I'm currently wrapping up Sir Winston Churchill's History of the English-Speaking Peoples.  After that, I've got my eye on more recent history, and his memoirs on the events during World War II may be my next target (I may pick them up at a local farmers' market, where an old hardcover copy is on display).

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nonsense! The Fountainhead is itself the best introduction into
Objectivism

Flavio,

I guess what I kept thinking while reading it was how if someone did not at least somewhat buy into Objectivism they would hate the book.  Also I could see "second-handers" reading the book and not being able to determine who the protagonists and antagonists are. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"162-0: Imagine a Mets Perfect Season" by Howie Karpin
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Getting ready to start:

Berlin 1961 by Frederick Kempe
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gil Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

A Dance of Dragons arrived in the mail yesterday! It's been a long wait. But holding it and trying to read it, I think I should have ordered an electronic
copy of the book. Darn thing is heavy.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Didn't know Bart Ehrman had a new book out. Thanks for the heads up.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Didn't know Bart Ehrman had a new book out. Thanks for the heads up.

••

Curiously enough, in a book about forgeries, I seem to be detecting a much lighter style to the writing this time. I have found his books eminently readable, from the first, but there is an almost rooty-tooty quality to this one* that has me waiting for the chapter in which he reveals someone else wrote the book, as a demonstration of some of the concepts he's discussing!

–––

* In one chapter he mentions that "Peter" was not actually the name of Jesus' disciple, just a "nickname" that JC gave him, like calling him "Rocky"!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's pretty funny. 

It also sounds like Erhman might be "erring" to the side of almost cutesy style over substance. The name of Kepha in Aramaic goes back to the 5th century BCE Jewish Elephantine colony. And by the time of Augustus, the epithet Petros had developed into a proper name for Greeks and cognomen for Romans.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Devil Problem by David Remnick - this is an older book that I found on the two dollar table at the bookstore.  I picked it up because I like Remnick so much.  It's a collection of essays that I haven't read, so this was a great find and a very good read so far.

The Door in the Floor: The Screenplay by Tod Williams, based on the novel A Widow For One Year by John Irving.  This is a bit of a sleeper film from a few years ago that I just love, which is unusual as the novel it is based on is one of my favorite books.  Adaptations don't usually work for favorite books, but this one does by just taking a portion of the full novel.  I've seen the film several times, but this is the first time I've read the screenplay.  It's a rare screenplay that is a joy to read - the dialogue is fantastic.  Usually reading screenplays can be drudgery, but this one is something special.  And it's giving me the itch to read A Widow for One Year again!

Dennis Maloney
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The 3rd Game of Thrones book. I'm really enjoying this series.

<< Prev Page of 256 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |