Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 256 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JERUSALEM: THE BIOGRAPHY, by Simon Sebag Montefiore. He rather lost me, though, early on, by consistently pushing a specific bit of evidence from some 2800 years ago that contains nothing more relevant than the phrase "the House of David" as absolute and incontrovertible evidence that David did in fact exist.

••

Reminiscent of the Believers who insist 2 First Century letters that mention Jesus are "proof" he existed -- overlooking the fact that what they actually reference is the WORSHIP of Jesus, and if that was all it took, we could take Zeus and Odin and Krishna and a whole bunch of other gods as fact!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I can't seem to find in this thread any mention by me of CLEOPATRA, by Stacy Schiff. A gift from a friend, this one covers a slightly different slice of a period I find fascinating. (My focus is usually more centered on Rome.) Plus, Ms Schiff has a delightful kind of rooty-tooty writing style that in many ways reminds me of Stan Lee!

Except she knows how to spell Pharaoh.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I picked up ESSENTIAL RAWHIDE KID yesterday, and most of the stories are new to me, so I'm going to enjoy this one.

Also reading - WHEN THE GARDEN WAS EDEN which is about the glory days of the New York Knicks (mid-'60s to mid-'70s).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Tortorice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just finished STAR GATE by Andre Norton. Easy to see where the creators of the movie and TV show might have gotten some of their ideas.

Starting KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC: REVAN. If you've played the PC game, you know who the character is. I find his story much more interesting than Anakin's. There's even a tie-in to the second game. Only problem is the writer is not much of a writer. I'm buoyed more by my interest in the characters than his writing style.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

After wrapping up a compilation of the surviving writings of Polybius (most of which are actually fragmentary), I've since moved over to Sallust.  Classical literature still has very much an appeal to me since I started reading it several years back, and it provides a window into the past to show us that man really hasn't changed all that much over the centuries.  As in the declining century of republican Rome, politicians will still smear their opponents and bemoan the state of things, while participating in the actions which accelerated that decline as old Crispus did.

The gist of the narratives by Sallust that I'm reading now is a series of events that shook the Roman world in the later 2nd and mid-1st Centuries BCE.  One of these was an attempted coup by a would-be revolutionary named Catalinus (hence the title "Cataline's War") in 63 BCE.  The other was the revolt of the Numidians in northern Africa that was crushed by the consul Marius in 104 BCE.  Both are monograms written about the events, joined by an incomplete history that shares the theme of increasing decadence and decline in republican values as Rome closed in on the day when Augustus would begin the reign of autocratic emperors.  Perhaps not-so ironically, the writer himself was a part of all the shenanigans which marked these decades of Roman rule, having been tossed from the Senate on corruption charges himself at one time.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Finishing up "The Chessmen of Mars", one of the "John Carter" books. This one features his (rather bratty and spoiled) daughter, Tara....reading it on iBooks, switching between the iphone and ipad, depending on location and availability. Gotta love public domain!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I just picked up Christopher Hitchens' "God Is Not Great - How Religion Poisons Everything" from my library.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2011 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Picked up a bunch of older books at one of those side-street used book stores that's just crammed floor to ceiling with shelves of dog-eared paperbacks. I could spend days in there.

Thoroughly enjoying Michael Crichton's THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN right now. For a book that was published in 1969, Crichton really had a handle on believable science fiction that holds up even now.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2012 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Picked up 2 books of Philip K. Dick's short stories. Read 3 so far:

MINORITY REPORT was so much better than what Hollywood churned out. I think they may have even missed the point of the story. Really enjoyed this one.

THE IMPOSTER was a nice little story which had me thinking one way all along only to be turned near the end and well... I'll let people read it.

WE CAN REMEMBER IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE was, again, different from the Hollywood version (I don't recall the movie that well - no pun intended). Interesting. I thought, on movie comparisons I suppose, that I'd enjoy this one most but MINORITY REPORT won out.

Looking forward to some more.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2012 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Stephen King's 'SALEM'S LOT. Could've sworn I read it a long time
ago but I think I'm just remembering the TV-movie.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2012 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I am reading 'Moving Pictures' by Terry Pratchett. I just finished 'Primordium', the 2nd Halo prequel novel by Greg Bear. When I'm done with Moving Pictures I will probably read 'Dust of Dreams' by Steven Erickson. I also need to read Dance of Dragons by George R.R. Martin sometime. 

I also recently read 'The Outcast Dead' by Graham McNeil but that is a Warhammer 40K (well it's a Horus Heresy book so it's really Warhammer 30K) novel so it probably doesn't really count. It's pretty much the equivalent of a Star Trek, Starwars Expanded Universe, or Battletech novel. 

Edited by Emery Calame on 15 January 2012 at 10:42pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2012 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I just finished the first book of 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.
Now I started Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens.

<< Prev Page of 256 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |