Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 256 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I am right in the middle of The Tears of the Sun by S.M. Stirling.  After that I start in on some books by Harry Turtledove:  In the Balance, Tilting the Balance and Upsetting the Balance.  Some of which I will be taking with me to Cancun on the 11th. 

Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm the midst of Clive Barker's 'Galilee,' definitely one of his slower and less visceral books but, honestly, I'm such a fan of his prose I'll read anything he does and probably be content just to hear his words singing in my imagination.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ha! Awesome pic, JB :)

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I just finished this one...

And now to start on this one...

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Paths of Glory, by Jeffrey Archer
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dennis Maloney
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2012 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A PRINCESS OF MARS on my Kindle at work and I'm almost done with THE SILENT STARS GO BY at home.

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Derek - Love that book!

So far it is really great. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Finished READY PLAYER ONE.  It got better as the book went along.  By the middle of the book I cared about the four major players and by the end I was rooting for them to succeed.  The 80s stuff still feels artificially shoehorned in at times, but the author set the rules and never strayed from them so it's just my own bugaboo.  

Now it's on to THE WORST HARD TIME: THE UNTOLD STORY OF THOSE WHO SURVIVED THE GREAT AMERICAN DUST BOWL by Timothy Egan. I read THE BIG BURN by Egan and enjoyed it, so am looking forward to learning more about the Dust Bowl era of American history as told by those who lived through it. 

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I just finished READY PLAYER ONE too.

We're going to have to agree to disagree: Cline was very clear in setting things up, and we wind up with a number of characters who have become obsessive about the 70s/80s (so that they can win a gazillion dollars!), and they are winning *because* they are so obsessive; so naturally things that they have memorized from a past culture informs their day-to-day life. Made perfect sense to me, and didn't bother me in reading.

(I have known people who are so obsessed with whatever (D&D, Star Trek, etc) that they would pepper everything they talk about with references, and would point out that what other people said also referenced their obsession. In this book, everyone was *in* on the references, tho!)

I found the book light and fun, very much in the Hero's Quest realm of books. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's pretty much what I said, Andrew; the author played by the rules he set.  It just bugged me that there was no other reference of any kind other than heavy 80s nostalgia peppered with some 70s and 90s.  Five decades have gone by and nothing else has permeated their consciousness like the 80s? Even given their study for the grandest prize of all, something from pop cultre in 2020 or 2042 must have squeezed itself in there!  

In the end, however, a light diversion where I was able to put aside my problem with it to enjoy "the quest".

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm on "Who Censored Roger Rabbit?" by Gary Wolf.  Enjoying it so far, but I'm glad I knew going in that the movie "based" on the book didn't take too much of its plot from it. :-)

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

For the first time in about 40 years, I am again throwing myself at William L. Shirer's THE RISE AND FALL OF THE THIRD REICH.

I've made several attempts at this book, starting when I was around 16, but only managed to get all the way thru once. And not because it's poorly written. The prose is excellent. In fact, it reads quite like a novel. It's just so LONG!

I figure, since I am reading this around other books, and other things in my life, I should finish just in time for the 80th anniversary of Hitler becoming Chancellor of Germany, in January of next year!

<< Prev Page of 256 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |