Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 256 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I just finished Nicolas Nickleby by Charles Dickens. 

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

For the first time in about 40 years, I am again throwing myself at William L. Shirer's THE RISE AND FALL OF THE THIRD REICH.

I love this book. It is long, but wow can Shirer keep it interesting with his observation and wit. Excellent book for those interested in WW2.

As for me I just finished HITLER'S EMPIRE and it was very interesting and informative. Amazing how on the fly the Nazi's were in their planning or lack of planning for the occupation of Europe. Good read.

Now I'm picking up and finishing HIROHITO: THE MAKING OF MODERN JAPAN by Herbert Bix. I got about a third of the way thru a couple of years ago and put it down meaning to get back to it sooner, but it got put back on the shelf. Now I'm ready to finish up. 

I'm also going to start up WAR AND PEACE by Leo Tolstoy. I read ANNA KARININA last year and enjoyed it. It helps to have a good translation which these editions do have. 

If that bogs down for me, on JB's recommendation I have THE GUNS OF AUGUST lined up for a read. Lots of good books in the queue. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

A Mathematician Plays The Stock Market, by Dr. John Allen Paulos.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Finished JUST MY TYPE by Simon Garfield; a book about fonts.

Not linear enough for my tastes, but an interesting history of type and fonts, and full of cool tidbits. The chapters talk about a particular typeface, some of it's significance, etc.

The first chapter is about the most hated computer font, Comic Sans. Garfield talks about its origins and how its creator was inspired by The Dark Knight and Watchmen. Ironically, the author cites the creators of the books, "Frank Miller with Klaus Janson and Lynn Varley" and "Alan Moore's and Dave Gibbons' Watchmen" without mentioning who the letterers of those books were (John Costanza and Gibbons, respectively).

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

RALLY 'ROUND THE FLAG, BOYS!

By Max Shulman (1919-1988), perhaps best known for his creation of Dobie Gillis.

This is one of his "adult" comedy novels, dealing with the mores of the mid-50s, specifically as played out in and around Faifield County, Connecticut.

My Dad had the paperback of this one, when I was about ten years old, and I was fascinated by the cover art, by Eldon Dedini, whose work I would come to know better in later years as a regular contributor to PLAYBOY.

So far -- I'm only a few chapters in -- the book is well written and very wry, but what really stands out is the way it touches upon the arc of my own life. That ten year old kid up in Edmonton, Canada, would never have been able to imagine that one day the locations in which this novel takes place would become what he'd call "home".

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I just started "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield. I enjoyed his "Gates of Fire" and will most likely hit up "The Warriors Ethos" when I finish "Art".

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Starting TOUGH WITHOUT A GUN: The Life and Extraordinary Afterlife of HUMPHREY BOGART by Stefan Kanfer

I am a fan of his movies but really don't know much about his life outside of them. So far. So good.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dennis Maloney
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm reading THE GODS OF MARS on my Kindle and THE TRUE ADVENTURES OF THE WORLD'S GREATEST STUNTMAN by Vic Armstrong at home.

Steve D Swanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just finished Everything Bad is Good For You by Steven Johnson. I liked it very much though I had a niggle that he fortunately talked about in the afterword. Solid argument.

Almost finished The Age of Odin by James Lovegrove but I'm struggling with it. I'll probably finish (about fifty pages left) but I don't think I'll be picking up another Lovegrove book.

About to start Physics of the Future by Machio Kaku. A science book about technologies likely to emerge over the next hundred years.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Just finished One Day In September by Simon Reeve.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

ESSENTIAL ANT-MAN

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

GRAIL PAGES Original Comic Book Art and The Collectors

By Steven Alan Payne

Just a quick flip through the pages I can see that our own Jim Warden is thanked in the book a few times.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 256 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |