Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 256 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2012 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Jack Kirby's OMAC: One Man Army Corps.

I'll follow this up by reading JB's Four issues of OMAC.

Great stuff!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2012 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell.  I've read his other three books (Tipping Point, Blink and Outliers) and enjoyed their mix of anecdotal evidence, entertaining writing and thought-provoking, if sometimes oversweeping, conclusions. This latest is a collection of various New Yorker articles he's written over the past 15 years.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku

Excellent, excellent book! Kaku's other book, Hyperspace is also great. I'd recommend them to anyone who wants to learn more about physics.

I might have to pick these up on Audible, I've been looking for an audio book to listen to at work. I love watching this man on TV, very interesting.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 April 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

HOTEL - Arthur Hailey

Having watched the movie all the way thru for the first time a week or so back, I decided to check out the novel, and found a second hand copy of the paperback cheap on Amazon.

As it happens, this was the 35th Anniversary edition, published in 2000, with an introduction written by Hailey. There he immediately notes, and apologizes for, certain dated elements. (As with the movie, made in 1967, Black people are still called "Negroes". Somewhat startlingly, in the book the word seems to crop up on almost every page. Also, he apologizes for how much and how often people smoke in the book!)

My curiosity was mostly directed to how much of the book was translated into the film. A few chapters in, I can already answer "Not much". This is one of those operatic potboilers, with a large cast and multiple plotlines, weaving around and occasionally bumping into each other. The movie captures that, to some extent, but many characters are completely deleted, while others become composites. In one of those things that generally annoys me about "adaptations", we also seem to have already evidence that some characters and their storylines were dropped, while the screenwriters created their own.

Enjoying the book, perhaps somewhat more than the movie -- tho it must be said, for all the attention paid to the source, the movie might as well have been about an entirely different hotel with an entirely different staff and collection of guests!

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2012 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

Only about 90 pages in, but pretty good so far.

(Wonder if there's any chance of a George Washington Werewolf Slayer?)

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2012 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve  by G. Edward Griffin.

From the preface to Section I:   

QUOTE:
What is the Federal Reserve System? The answer may surprise you. It is not federal and there are no reserves. Furthermore, the Federal Reserve Banks are not even banks...

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2012 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Valley on the Moon - Jack London

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Finished THE TEAPOT DOME SCANDAL: HOW BIG OIL BOUGHT THE HARDING WHITE HOUSE AND TRIED TO STEAL THE COUNTRY by Lanton McCartney.  Fascinating reading and a reminder of how much history is truly lost on us.  That's especially true when reading the LA Times this week and a Republican calling the Obama administration the most corrupt in American history.  Seriously.  More corrupt than big oil buying the White House and setting policy both foreign and domestic?  More corrupt than Tricky Dick wiretapping?  Really?  

Now I'm reading TO HELL ON A FAST HORSE: THE UNTOLD STORY OF BILLY THE KID AND PAT GARRETT by Mark Lee Gardner.  It's the kind of narrative nonfiction that I really enjoy, chock full of first hand accounts and quotes taken from articles and stories of the day.  

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Working my way through books by two of my favorite authors, Michael Connelly, THE DROP, and Bernard Cornwell, SHARPE'S DEVIL.  Completion of the latter will bring me to the end of the Richard Sharpe historical novels, and I will miss him.  From there I'm turning to John Paul Stevens' short memoir of his time on the US Supreme Court.   

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Climbing Mount Improbable-  Richard Dawkins

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just started Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin, which as the cover says is about 'The amazing discovery of our 375-million-year-old ancestor'.

Really enjoying this one so far, a nice change after reading two extensive film history books in a row!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I finished War and Peace today. A great read, but I need to re-read the second epilogue again. It's pretty deep and I need to think it over some more. 

<< Prev Page of 256 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |